Has anyone ever driven on a TW driver's license overseas?

Hello,

I will be returning to the UK for one month in August and I have just discovered that my UK driver’s license has expired. As I am no longer resident in the UK I cannot renew my license, therefore I am stuck with my Taiwanese driver’s license.

Has anyone ever driven on a Taiwanese license in another country? Do I need to get a Taiwanese international driver’s license?

I have done some preliminary research and discovered that getting an international driver’s license would be a bit of a hassle as I would need to renew my ARC so that it had longer than one year on it. However, my Taiwanese license doesn’t have any English on it so I am not sure if the police would accept it as genuine.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Thanks

Did you actually try to get the international license or are you basing this on a poorly translated website? I would find it hard to believe that the DMV here wouldn’t issue you a Taiwanese int’l license if you already possessed a local license. I know that my friend has gotten an int’l license to drive with at home and he said it was easy but I don’t know the steps.

I was basing it on this website here which states:

http://tpcmv.thb.gov.tw/CP.aspx?pageID=193

This is from the Taipei DMV but I am sure it would be the same down here in Kaohsiung.

The 365 day seems to be enforced inconsistently when applying for the DL. I would be surprised if they were enforced rigorously for the IDL. The point is that you should go down and ask the DMV what you need to do to get an IDL instead of relying on website info.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]Hello,

I will be returning to the UK for one month in August and I have just discovered that my UK driver’s license has expired. As I am no longer resident in the UK I cannot renew my license, therefore I am stuck with my Taiwanese driver’s license.

Has anyone ever driven on a Taiwanese license in another country? Do I need to get a Taiwanese international driver’s license?

I have done some preliminary research and discovered that getting an international driver’s license would be a bit of a hassle as I would need to renew my ARC so that it had longer than one year on it. However, my Taiwanese license doesn’t have any English on it so I am not sure if the police would accept it as genuine.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Thanks[/quote]

It seems really weird to me that your UK licence has expired. Mine’s good till I’m 75. Could it be just that you need to renew the actual card and document?

I Was in Canada driving on my international licence that I got here in Taiwan and with no Canadian licence just the Taiwan licence. I had not problems and rented a car with it .

I also found my Irish one is due to expire and hard to renew as non resident also. if you ever go back to UK you should be able to swap back after establishing residency.

An international driving license costs ntd100 and takes 5 minutes to get. Bring 2 photos, go to the DMW. You need to have a Taiwan license first, though.

I went to the DMV in Nanzi, Kahohsiung yesterday and applied for an international driver’s license.

Despite having less than a year on my ARC it was issued without any problems.

Thanks for all of the replies.