Has anyone ever transferred to a Taiwanese University?

lmao that ranking is out of 100. its a score. not a comparison to other universities.

nice try though.

Lmao no. What are you on bro?

4 Likes

:rofl: that list ranks 2000 universities.

What you’re saying is a bit disingenuous though. He says his credits transferred but he was four credits short of the 32 required. He was forced to do an extra year because of a requirement that degrees be 8 semestres which is unfortunately pretty common in a lot of countries, not just Taiwan.
These are things to consider but they don’t really discredit Taiwanese universities

3 Likes

yeah ask yourself if you want to deal with all that bullshit.

what degree would you be pursuing?

what level of mandarin are you at?

what country are you from?

how long do you want to be in taiwan?

are all important questions

Everyone knows how worthless university rankings are. If that’s your reasoning you need to try harder.

3 Likes

Dude, you are cherry picking. In the same article you posted the Times ranks NTU as 97th, which as far as university rankings go is the only one that really matters internationally.
Also, 184th or 97th in the World is insanely good. We can’t all go to Stanford.

4 Likes

what degree are you even trying to pursue?

1 Like

The op already said computer science. Literally the first sentence.

1 Like

gotcha.
yeah pretty sure the CS degrees are not taught in english

Not using college rankings but general understanding, I was strongly advised against getting a masters in Taiwan if I planned to use it in the US (for education) by multiple education-related professionals (heads of university education departments, K-12 principals, etc.). They all told me it might help that I’m a white, native English speaker if I got a degree studied in Chinese and was trying to get a job teaching Chinese. But it would otherwise hurt me more than help me to have a masters from outside the US. In the US, apparently, even Canadian and UK degrees are (apparently) shunned by the snobs in education-related fields of work. Ironic, given the pay.

But OP is studying computer science and isn’t in the US now, so it could help him to study in Taiwan, depending on language proficiency and country of origin.

My husband received his engineering degree from a university here. He worked in my country for many years as an engineer. Taiwan is a signatory to the Washington Accord. If you do not know what it is, please go read. Taiwanese engineers are in high demand all over the world.

5 Likes

Most universities are worthless then. It’s probably true unless you go to a well known school globally or at least in your local area.

Rankings don’t really matter unless it’s one of the truly elite school. I went to a unranked school for undergrad and a top 5 in the UK for finance for my masters. Honestly doesn’t even matter unless you go to a well known school. What you study and what you make of it is really what the rest of us have to deal with.

The reality is, even as chinas university climb the rankings, no one outside the sino world gives 2 shit you went to Tsinghua or NTU. The same with 90% the world. US and Western European unis are the only ones that’s well recognized

2 Likes

Anecdotally: I know guys from India who have come to do their Masters at NTHU—then bang land a job at Google, then move on to other opportunities globally. Certainly I’d advise picking a top-five uni in Taiwan—expect challenges along the way as you work through the bureaucracy and (some, not all) indifferent professors. But with hard work and a plan, it can lead to positive outcomes.

Guy

5 Likes

Nope. Only Anglophone universities are well-recognised. Nobody gives two shits if you went to a French or Norwegian university either.

1 Like

The French give a shit if you went to some French ones. The Germans some German ones. British the British ones. Etc etc.
In the end getting a Bachelors or Masters will usually stand very well to you, no matter where it’s from. It’s a threshold , a stepping stone, to go over.

1 Like

How do so many Taiwanese students take their master’s overseas?

4 Likes

In engineering circles everyone give a lot of shits about Delft, University of Tokyo, ETH, EPFL or other universities on that level. I agree with Andrew though, outside of top universities it doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

As somebody who went to quite a good university (ahem), not all unis are the same. The life experience of going to a good uni can be very enriching just like if somebody is privileged enough to go a decent elementary or secondary school (which I kind of wasn’t).
And good unis (they really don’t need to be elite) have a certain ethos about the way they do things or treat the students. For instance having a very lively student body, clubs, encouraging students to participate in field trips, forums, seminars, research projects. I had a great time.
All this has to be balanced with cost. These days costs are just going up and up for students while things are becoming so formal and business like. I will encourage my kids to attend a uni with the weight of history behind them…I’m not too fond of recently converted technical colleges , guess a bit of a snob like that. :grin:.

2 Likes

I suppose it differs from industry. Going to HEC Paris or Bocconi in Milan will open doors for you in finance.

1 Like