Has anyone heard of Freediving HD?

youtube.com/user/Born2Die83

I came across a youtube channel called Freediving HD, which is basically a guy freediving around the world. He did several videos of dive sites in Lanyu and Green island.

I love this amazing video from Cape Town with a bunch of seals swimming around him.

The one with him at Lanyu’s Blue hole is pretty cool as well.

The one with Saipan’s grotto is also pretty amazing

and of course, Yunaguni’s underwater monument

In one of his Guam videos, he was hiking to the remnant of a Sherman tank near Sigua fall and Leo Palace resort, he sank near waist deep into sinking mud. At this point a woman’s voice tells him to “把包包給我 (give me your backpack)” in a very typical Taiwanese accent. Later in a freediving tip video he mentions he’s based in Taipei.

That’s pretty cool. Is there a free diving school in Taiwan?

Well, I just came across his companion’s blog… I was just googling Guam, Sherman tank, and it was the only Chinese research result.

islandtravellife.info/aboutislandtravellife/

Very cool. You know that Will Trubridge just broke his own record today in constant weight no fins going down to 102m?

I feel like freediving is a sport I was born to do, and one of those things that’s probably gonna get me in a hospital…

I feel like freediving is a sport I was born to do, and one of those things that’s probably gonna get me in a hospital…[/quote]

It shouldn’t if you have proper training. I’m doing a podcast on it with Adam Skolnick, who just published One Breath. Have you read it? About the death of freediving phenom Nick Mevoli.

I feel like freediving is a sport I was born to do, and one of those things that’s probably gonna get me in a hospital…[/quote]

It shouldn’t if you have proper training. I’m doing a podcast on it with Adam Skolnick, who just published One Breath. Have you read it? About the death of freediving phenom Nick Mevoli.[/quote]

I remember seeing the news back in 2013 when Mevoli had his accident, and some special on it a while later.

In one of Dean’s videos (freediving HD), he mentioned a dive site in Lanyu, with a sunken freighter, is where the first fatal freediving accident in Taiwan took place.

I’ve been a subscriber to his YouTube channel since March, when he got some fantastic drone footage of a wreck and oil spill on the coast of Ximen, New Taipei City.

That Lanyu dive is very cool. We bought a mask and snorkel recently on a trip to Baishawan. The kids loved it! And there was really nothing to see- maybe a few very small fish. We ended up buying another mask and snorkel the next day and the kids spent a couple of hours swimming around.

I promised them a trip to Shr Ti Ping soon where there should be some better snorkeling in a safe place. And I guess it wouldn’t be too much work to drive down a bit more and then get the boat to Green Island. I’m very tempted.

[quote=“marasan”]That Lanyu dive is very cool. We bought a mask and snorkel recently on a trip to Baishawan. The kids loved it! And there was really nothing to see- maybe a few very small fish. We ended up buying another mask and snorkel the next day and the kids spent a couple of hours swimming around.

I promised them a trip to Shr Ti Ping soon where there should be some better snorkeling in a safe place. And I guess it wouldn’t be too much work to drive down a bit more and then get the boat to Green Island. I’m very tempted.[/quote]

If you go to Green Island, there’s a nice lagoon/pond to swim around and snorkel with kids just below the lighthouse.

Thanks for that info.

Regarding the free diving videos, the guy periodically plugs his nose and I guess breathes out (the way you do on an airplane to unplug your ears). He must be doing some kind of equalizing for the pressure as he descends.

[quote=“marasan”]

Regarding the free diving videos, the guy periodically plugs his nose and I guess breathes out (the way you do on an airplane to unplug your ears). He must be doing some kind of equalizing for the pressure as he descends.[/quote]

he has a video on the frenzel equalization method. apparently, after certain depth, just breathing out while shutting mouth and pinching nose isn’t enough to balance ear pressure. A Free diver has to force air from the lungs into mouth by sucking in the belly, and then pump that air into the ears with his/her tongue.

That’s interesting hansioux.

There was a scuba instructor at Nangang Sports Center a couple years ago who’s real passion was free diving. They have that small 5m pool there for lessons. I’ve always liked the ocean but never got around to scuba diving or free diving. Now that my kids also seem to love the ocean, maybe it’s time to consider this again.