Has anyone showed their Parents' Financial Statements

Schools require bank statements for up to three to six months prior to the start of the semester.

My question is has anyone provided their parents’ financial statements to show theyre supporting your stay in Taiwan?

Thanks.

Or should I ask was there a hassle when doing it?

:eh: :loco: :loco: :loco:

I’m not a student, and I’m long independent of my parents, so maybe I don’t understand, but. . .

I assume financial statement is not the word you were looking for? You don’t really want to disclose the highly sensitive, confidential and completely irrelevant details of your parents bank accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, loans, assets, etc., so that you can attend school in Taiwan, do you?

Maybe you can just get a note from mommy and daddy saying that they’ll pay all your expenses in Taiwan.

Or, if that’s what they intend to do, maybe you can ask them to wire US$10K to you in advance, deposit in your Taiwan bank account, and show a copy of that account statement to the school.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Shaughn Riley”]My question is has anyone provided their parents’ financial statements to show they’re supporting your stay in Taiwan?[/quote]I’m not a student, and I’m long independent of my parents, so maybe I don’t understand, but…

I assume financial statement is not the word you were looking for? You don’t really want to disclose the highly sensitive, confidential and completely irrelevant details of your parents bank accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, loans, assets, etc., so that you can attend school in Taiwan, do you?

Maybe you can just get a note from mommy and daddy saying that they’ll pay all your expenses in Taiwan.[/quote]
Hey MT, we don’t know the age or the situation of the OP, so I don’t think there’s any need to be condescending (mommy and daddy :unamused: ) I remember having to supply my folks’ financial info when I applied for a student loan many moons ago. I was already living away from home, but it was still a requirement. I think the OP’s question is valid and certainly not worthy of scorn.

Really? I’m aware that I’m an old fart and many here are much younger, but I didn’t realize one might actually be requested to provide a financial statement of one’s parents when applying for school here. Seems overly rude, insensitive, presumptuous, irrelevant and none of their damned business for them to ask, IMHO. But what do I know…

EDIT: What does it prove? If I provide a statement showing my parents have $10M in retirement funds and own a $5M house, how does that prove that they’ll support me while I attend school (assuming that’s what they want to know)? Wouldn’t it make more sense for them to simply provide a note saying they’ll provide such support, if that’s what the school wants to know?

I think ability to provide support is easier to prove than intention to provide support. I think this is just the easiest way for the institutions involved to cover their ass. I don’t think it’s meant to be foolproof.

When I were a wee young laddie a long time ago, I went to the university in the big city far away, and the authorities required a financial statement from my folks in order to calculate the exact fucking paucity of the grant they were prepared to pay me. Bastards.

Well, that’s different. If a kid asks the school for a handout it seems to me they’re entitled to check on the parents’ ability to pay.

But as far as I can tell the OP’s not asking the school for a handout. He just wants to apply for admission, but the school wants to know how much money his folks have (apparently under the assumption that if his parents are rich he’ll be a good student, but if they’re poor he’ll drop out and move back home). Is that right?

Probably easier for a Chinese speaking person to see some numbers on a bank statment than to translate a hand written guarantor letter in English from his parents.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Well, that’s different. If a kid asks the school for a handout it seems to me they’re entitled to check on the parents’ ability to pay.

But as far as I can tell the OP’s not asking the school for a handout. He just wants to apply for admission, but the school wants to know how much money his folks have (apparently under the assumption that if his parents are rich he’ll be a good student, but if they’re poor he’ll drop out and move back home). Is that right?[/quote]
No, the authorities don’t want to know whether his parents are rich or poor. They want to make sure he can afford to live here for the period of study. Presumably if he had his own bank account with sufficient funds in it, that would satisfy them. If he doesn’t, they well want to know who’s footing the bills. I see nothing wrong with that at all. I mean, even certain visa types require proof of funds, don’t they?

Yes, I was asked for three months’ worth :loco: of financial statements, if I recall correctly, to support my application for my first visa to Taiwan (they only gave me two weeks :raspberry: ). However, it was not school-based, and it was long, long ago.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, guys! I woke up this morning and saw two pages and thought wow, either this is gonna be really good or really bad.

Anyway, I was a broke college student before and just NOW started working(not my first job) and I want to attend school in Taiwan this June. But I want to buy my ticket NOW before prices raise as summer nears. By the time I mail off my applications and hear a response/acceptance letter airfare might be 2000+ dollars.

Thanks again!