Has anyone taken the driving test for cars lately?

[quote=“Amasashi”][quote=“Blaquesmith”][quote=“Micahel”]Yes, recently had the unpleasant experience of getting a car and a medium size motorcycle Taiwan drivers license. Sorry for all the negativity but I need to vent on this. The short answer below is correct, without practice you will likely fail both the written and driving test. So the safest thing to do is go get into a driving school. Why will you fail? You have been a good driver for xx years? Because Taiwan has purposely made the test ridiculously hard !!! I believe for the sole purpose of forcing people to go to driving school and practice the maneuvers until they can be done flawlessly since I don’t believe they have anything to do with improving public safety (reducing accidents). There are links to watch the video which have been posted and download the written questions. The bad news is the video makes it look somewhat fair, not true, there are even more deductions and opportunity for failure not mentioned in the video.

Written Car Test - 40 Questions, need a 85 to pass (can miss 6). There will be at least 8-10 questions which are Taiwan specific and if you do not download memorize the answers, you will likely not get it right (bad news, there are 400 questions, takes several hours just to read through them). Several road signs (a few in Chinese) not in the US and several penalty questions you will need to study to know. Most of these are somewhat trick questions, only a minor difference in the answer, not obvious. The other 30 or so questions are general driving questions you will likely get right. Example: You can beep you horn for up to a) .5 Sec b) 1 sec c) 3 sec ? Ans .5 sec. Yes if a policeman hears you beep for 0.6 secs he can give you a fine (and yes, Taiwan policemen’s ears have been calibrated and measured to distinguish to less than 0.1 sec accuracy, for sure).

Car Driving Test - They officially post a 70% is a passing grade, the real number is 97%. No, no, no you say, it clearly says 70% !! True, it is 70% with their unfair, completely biased grading system. If you add up all the possible deductions (like I have) there are a possible 1000-1100 points that could be deducted and they only allow -30 (that is 97%). As soon as you get over -32 your done, which is usually 1-2 errors! Come back and try again next time! The maneuvers are designed for initial failure if not practiced. They make you perform them first to get people to fail early so you can’t say " but I can drive the road test perfectly". Before you get to their bogus road test you will need to do parallel parking, reverse garage parking, and the “illegal” S turns from hell (illegal to build a real road or driveway to those tight radial dimensions, forward no problem, backwards you will likely get stuck and maybe hit the barriers if you do not know exactly when to aim for the corners). One pass only, no stopping or retries during the maneuvers. Touch the pipes, in one case you go home the other -16. You will also likely fail using the turn signals where there is no intersection (just a turn in the road) but a sign that says “Failure to Use Turn Signals -16”. Then there is the uphill test that they require you to put the parking brake on after you stop, however the video fails to mention that detail.

Motorcycle Test - Not so many opportunities for failure but the same philosophy. Make a really hard maneuver to force people to practice. Straight line stability, approx 40-50’ track approx 15" wide. Must not complete in less than 7 secs or test failure. I have ridden motorcycles all my life (last 1000CC BMW had for 12 years and put 90K miles). Had to go practice on their test track 4-5 hours before I felt I could reliable do it. Purposely designed for failure without practice. Then they have an illegal turn radius of the so called real road conditions (illegal to build a road with that tight of radius) on a too small of a track (approx. 2’ wide). Not true, they cheated again. Another illegal road condition, illegal to build a road to those conditons. Actually a second maneuvering/stability, too fast you hit the pipes, too slow loss control and hit the pipes.[/quote]

Now I’m going to seem a smug jackass, but an 85% in the written test seems difficult to you? In Spain we have 40 questions as well, and if you fail more than two, you’re out. In the driving test, we are only allowed to make one minor flaw. Make a “big” mistake (like changing lanes without signaling or looking in all directions before the action) and you’re out. And I’m sure Taiwan driving test is purposefully made to cause people to fail miserably, but that’s the case in Spain, too. Completelly illogical questions, sometimes with wrong pictures next to a question to confuse you. That’s the way it is.

As for the motorcycle test, I know in other spanish cities is easier, but in Barcelona, where we’re supposed to have “too many” motorcycles (at least according to the city council) It’s awfully difficult to get your license. I failed three times the motorcycle driving test, and finally I decided not to try again and stick with my 125cc bike (which I could drive legally with my car license).

Anyways… the bribe thing appeals to me if it can be done in a safe way. Even if I had to pay more, I’d hate applying and failing, specially in a country where most of the people drive as if they were under the influence or as if they had consumed huge amounts of crack.[/quote]
As with all things in Taiwan, it’s just much easier to submit to how they do things here instead of insisting on our Western ideals. Not judging, just saying.

The written test is just questions taken straight out of a question bank. You can download the bank for free at the MOTC website. Just flip through and remember the answers. Pretty straight-forward.

The driving test is the real bitch. My advice, unless you are an expert driver, it’s much easier and faster to pay a driving school for a full course because they’ll teach you all the tricks and inside secrets to passing through all the ridiculous turns, especially the S curve. It’s around 8000 for a regular course or maybe 10,000 for the “guaranteed” course. By the way, the guaranteed course doesn’t mean you’ll pass for sure. It just means they’ll keep giving you additional training free of charge until you finally pass.

A lot of people like the idea of paying for an hour or two of driving classes or just to use the course. It may work for some, but I don’t recommend it because it’s expensive and the instructors usually won’t tell you much. But if you’re a good driver and are willing to do homework beforehand to know the ins and outs of the test, then this may be an option.

Easiest way is this: take the automatic transmission test. It’s easier and about 1000 cheaper (7000 for a full course). Most people don’t drive stick anyway so it’s not a big deal. Then pay for a full course and tell the instructor that you already know how to drive back home and just want to ace the test on the first try. That way you won’t waste time with the basics and can have more time to practice the course. A secret is that if you pay for a full course, you won’t necessarily have to wait out the entire 4 weeks. If you’re confident you can pass, you can actually take the test whenever.

So basically, just pay for a full course and then you can tailor it to your needs. Driving school is happy, instructors teach you the secrets, and you can take the test whenever you want. Easiest way to a license. Such is the Taiwan way. Doing it yourself saves you about 4000-5000, but you’ll be wasting time asking driving school to driving school if they give classes by the hour or rent out their course for practice. And when you find a school that does, they won’t like you that much anyway and just leave you to your doing. It’s not worth it, I don’t think. Just shell out the extra money, everyone’s happy, and your journey will be smooth as butter.[/quote]

Actually the written test varies from county to county ie the English translations of the questions and answers vary! Not all counties have a full online resource or an English booklet of all questions and answers. For instance in Taichung I had to go into the test centre to practice on the computers to get used to their translations. I failed anyway and then got a reciprocal license instead.

I agree paying the money and following the local way is easiest.

Just a thought: I’ve been able to drive a manual transmission car since 1999. I don’t really like to drive automatic transmission cars unless they have an auto/sequential mode (like the Smarts or Mercedes Banz do). Being unable to change the gear for yourself feels completely annoying if you want to enjoy driving on a mountain road and don’t burn your brakes, for instance.

Nope, should I take the test, I’ll be wanting the manual transmission license.

In the UK, a manual license does for automatic as well, but not vice versa.

I’ve heard somewhere that this is not true in Taiwan, and a manual license only entitles you to drive manual cars.

IF this is true, you’d be excluded from legally driving the vast majority of cars in Taiwan.

(I might have heard this from Taiwanese though. If so, its almost certainly bollocks.)

As far as I know, with a manual license (like my wife has) you can drive whatever you want to. With an automatic license, you can only drive automatic cars (and sometimes not even those)

It took me ten tries before I passed the driving test for cars. On my tenth attempt, the instructor, seeing that I have been coming every week for the driving test, just turned off all the the road sensors. He was so happy not to see me again the next week :smiley:

!0 times! What was the most difficult ?

Backing out of the S driveway of course! On my 5th or 6th try, I was already deliberately ruining the transmission of the car I was using (theirs, not mine), when shifting gears, then offering a not so heartfelt “dui bu qi” so by the tenth try, maybe they figured I won’t give up and were just quite happy to let me pass the test! I even hit the gutter while backing out of the S driveway and no alarms went off!

First off if you are planning to drive in Taiwan dont bother getting your licence its a total waste of time ( Im doing it so that I can have an international licence so that I can drive this summer in Canada)!!! With that said after practising with the online test for the past 2 weeks 5 times a day and pulling mostly 100s or 97s and felling confident I went for my test this morning and was completely shocked to find only 3 or 4 of the questions from the practice test were asked resulting in a miserable score and failure! The other 36 questions asked never once came up on the practise test so it looks like I will need to study the 2000 or so poorly written test questions I have now download from the ministries web site. To make things even worse I also found out today that when I return to live in Canada next year the licence I get here is worthless and I will have to start from scratch if I want a Canadian licence. And one more thing I dont think I have meet a ruder group of cunts in one place than at this DMV in the past 20 years! Thats it. :fume:

This is awful advice. The test is silly but it’s not that hard once you understand the course.

As far as the computer test goes just go early to the DMV and sit outside practicing on their computers until you have seen most of the questions.

I would also recommend not taking the test in a manual. Not because manuals are difficult to drive but because it will be a shitty old car that completely sucks. OTOH perhaps I passed the first time because it was a tiny econobox that was really easy to maneuver.

I also thought the s turn was tricky in my sedan car. Maybe a small car would be a lot easier.

The key was knowing the right moment to switch from the using the right mirror to the left mirror. It’s not hard to back up along ‘one’ curved line using ‘one’ mirror but it’s difficult to transition from following one mirror/line to the other side.

I believe the bribe discussion is completely off base. I would not recommend to try a bribe, and what I know about the culture, it probably would not work anyway. You could get into some trouble you do not need. The only opportunity would be at the test track for the guy to see something and not score it. In several cases he would not be able to do so where there is -32 or -16 flashing (when you hit the pipes) in bright lights and car like alarm sounds that can be heard for blocks.

Believe they are talking about the driving school as a type of bribe. Not really. It’s just a test track with exact items (dimensions) the government track has. You still have to take the test and do everything successfully to pass. You do get the following benefit if you enroll in the standard driving school course ($10K NT). You get to take the driving test on that same track in the same car you used to practice with. You practice/drive around the track (perform the maneuvers) for 1 hr a night for 4 weeks, they give you several visual aids on the parking maneuvers (their track specific) and give the basics on how and when to turn (but in Chinese, no English here), what to aim for, … So the short answer is you get to take the test with the same car on the same track including the visual aids you have practiced with for 4 weeks. Someone has used the word tricks, believe visual aids is more accurate.

You can get the practice and assistance benefit by paying $800-1000/hr to use the track. The instructors will help you (if needed). If you do this, you will have to take the test at the government track, no visual aids, in a car you may not be comfortable with. They do allow you to test in your own car. If you have access to a really small car, use it! The smaller the car the easier it is. They give you a mid size. A large (too big) car like my BMW 735, could never pass the parking and S turns with any driver (it’s turning radius is too big).

So are you telling me that the practice test provided online driversimtest.thb.gov.tw/DriverS … s/index.do is not the same as the practice test at the driving test place? If not that would make perfect sense for this place!

Yes, it varies from county to county! The English translations vary and not all questions appear on the practice tests I believe.

Ok I will try that thanks. AS for my advice about not licensing up here I really dont see the advantage I have been driving here for 20 years both car and bike and have had no problem explaining to the officer that I have left my licence at home which probably saved me thousands of dollars in fines over the years. Plus the fact its worthless back in Canada which means I need to do it all over again.

It’s not that hard to get a license. This thread is making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you want to live abroad and drive in that country then get a license.

The S turn reverse mirrors (trick). Yes the S turns is a reverse mirrors test. Here in Taichung the S is a right turn followed by a left, but from the online video (assumed Taipei) they do a left 1st then right. Backing out, the key is hitting the inside corners, if you get too far out from them you will not make it (stuck). Aim the inside of the car (6-8 inches) to the inside corner line/pipes using your mirror (it becomes a fairly hard turn right before you transition to the next corner). As soon as the other side of the car points at (aligned with) the 2nd corner (using the other mirror) straighten out the car and aim the other side of the car to the second corner. Specifically as soon as you see the 2nd corner in the other mirror, aim that side of the car at the corner. As soon as your rear wheel is at the 2nd corner, hug that corner (6-8 inches) until the exit. You can actually make it out over 6-8 inches during the turns, but this provides some clearance from the pipes and the safest turning radius (do it like this and you do not need to worry about your front end). The transitions from the 1st to 2nd turn (aiming for the 2nd inside corner) is the key and where most people fail. If you do not aim almost immediately for the 2nd corner and over steer where the rear tire is too far (guess over 12-18"+) from the inside corner, the front end swings too close to pipes/ barriers and it makes the exit very difficult if not impossible. Once you get the rear wheel to the corner of the 2nd turn, hug the inside corner until the exit line. Exit to the middle of the road, there is a barrier after the exit line and if you keep turning too hard, you may hit into the barrier.

The practice written exam online will not be the same as the test you will take. There are 400 questions in the pool (which can be downloaded at the site) of which 40 will be on the test from the 5 categories they have defined. I failed the 1st time (77.5, did not study nor knew I could download the questions). They gave me the address of the site, I downloaded the questions, studied the ones I did not know (mostly penalty related and many TW unique), took the test a week later, and got a 100.

You don’t need to use mirrors. Open the window, stick your head out so you can see the S line and the wheels, and just reverse following the line all the way to the end.

It’s a LOT easier than trying to do it using mirrors.

Hi Michael could you please send me a link to the 400 hundred questions? I have downloaded from this site but there appears to be over 2000 questions! thb.gov.tw/TM/Webpage.aspx?entry=190