Has it become harder to rent an apartment in Taipei?

During my last apartment hunt, signing a lease proved to be pretty easy. Once you found a place you liked, hand over the cash sign the lease and off you go. In contrast, back in the home country, landlords want reference checks, credit checks bla bla bla. However, they can legally only charge a half a month’s rent as deposit. I’ve always credited the ease of signing a lease in Taipei to the massive deposit landlords take in comparison.

Fast forward to 2020, and on my most recent hunt landlords have began to demand a local guarantor, the contract notarized, and 3/4 months rent in deposit.

What’s happened?

I do not mean to sound harsh, but they probably don’t trust you for some reason. Probably they are not used to foreigners and see you as a risk.
so far i have never encountered any requirement other than 2 months rent cash deposit.

1 Like

I usually go for the bigger and newer places. I haven’t had this kind of difficulty with the three houses I have rented.

To be honest, would you really want to rent from someone whose first impression is ‘I don’t trust you’?

Rental Housing Market Development and Regulation Act, Article 7:
“The amount of security deposits shall not surpass the equivalent of two months’ rent.
When leases expire and the lessee return the rental housing and pay back debts arising from leases, the lessors shall return the security deposits after deducting any unpaid debt.”

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0060125

2 Likes

I usually recommend illegal rooftop apartments. Tend to be a lot cheaper and the landlords are more flexible. If you choose a haunted one, you get an especially low rent.

8 Likes

I’d skip over those and keep looking. Most want 2 months deposit, no gaurantor and maybe a witness for the contract - or maybe not - that the landlord brings along.

2 Likes

The illegal bit is fine, but haunted ? I want a good nights sleep not be woken up by demonic spirits and restless souls.

20 years ago -last time I looked for a house to rent- I encountered the «we do not rent to foreigners» crowd. In this case, what you are describing is not that, but rather someone trying to take advantage of you and your lack if knowledge of local laws.

As pointed out, the deposit CANNOT exceed 2 months.

It is recommended to have a witness, hopefully a local, when you sign the contract. A lawyer is normally not required nor requested.

This is not Japan. A local guarantor is also not required by law. It is weird to ask unless the place is some kind of high luxury delicate dwelling.

If you have doubts or issues better rent from Tsui Mama, a non profit organization: www.tmm.org.tw

1 Like

Yeah, but this is Taiwan.

And landlords should also be paying tax on revenue from their property.

But this is Taiwan.

3 Likes

Which I believe you can now claim on your tax returns. So that should make for a lot of interesting discussions with tenants!

1 Like

Isn’t it true that Every Chinese or Taiwanese person’s first impression of any foreigner is negative?

it is not.

2 Likes

You don’t claim the landlord’s tax payments. You claim your rent payments, but only if you’re a resident for tax purposes.

I’ve never experience anything of the like here in my 25 years and counting. Nor have I heard of anything like this from any foreign friends. I’ve moved twice in the last 2 years as well, for reference sake.

1 Like