Has social media led to society being more binary?

I see many people that have what appears to be a black and white outlook on the world.

I’m wondering if how social media feeds people topics and information based on their own interests and opinions would lead to someone have a binary or black and white outlook in the world. They have their own opinions a confirmed by what they experience through social media.

What are your thoughts?

On every topic except gender, of course.

It’s human nature to seek out views that are congruent with the views that you already hold. I suppose its inevitable that social media will walk people down a certain path because that’s the way the algorithms are set up.

1 Like
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

1!

3 Likes

Social phenomena is difficult to disentangle because of unobserved variables and interactions. Key possibilities could: media as enabler, media as insight tool, or both to varying extent. A key component is human psychology as well as pointed out by @finley.

It could be an enabler under conditions were community size and design in conjunction with human weakness for confirmation bias result in a closed community (one in which heterogeneity is not countenanced). I would guess in small, non-heterogeneous communities ostracisation can be quite effective, creating echo chambers. Marginalisation has less effect in more open communities as users can find their space within the larger community.

It is quite possible as well that media brings ideas and views that are typically hidden, especially when the media allows anonymity: one can say what they really think without risk of social censure. In public people tend to say what keeps the peace.

My personal view is: there is a combonation of cause and effect plus interaction.

1 Like

You just had to go binary, didn’t you? :rofl:

I see what you did there… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Could we have a “maybe” option? :grin:

I always thought social media and the openness of the Internet has society to embrace being more nonbinary. It’s nice when people can embrace who they are. At least non binary people can embrace who they are.

0 voters

3 Likes

It would have been funnier if you included a poll that said “yes” or “no”

Damn

I think it has given a voice to the extreme ends, but there is still a spectrum. The extremists are loudest, giving the appearance of only two sides, but reality is more complex

3 Likes