Have any teachers had the same experience during job interviews when Covid-19 started?

Which do you think you lean most towards?

4 Likes

I think most people who have read my posts understand what I am about. It’s not a big mystery.

Guy

1 Like

You made great observations.

Yes, I had my own company for years. I actually had several businesses because of my various abilities.

One business was quality assurance. I was paid to be a critic for many years.

My studies in graduate school were management.

My wife told me when I first moved here many years ago that I would have trouble working in Taiwan for someone else because I always operated my own businesses.

I am simply quick to spot problems. I am sensitive to things that are not right and out of place.

I don’t put up with bullsiht. I don’t have to.

The job I have now is for my own entertainment. I’m great with kids. It was only after bringing up my daughter that I discovered this talent of working with kids.

Yes, I am used to picking and choosing my customers. Just like the position I’m in now I can live with it or without it. The school is my customer. I’ve told them on several occasions they are welcome to find someone else.

3 Likes

Great post. Thank you.

Guy

2 Likes

That’s good cos I suspect you don’t play well with some adults.

Seriously it’s great to know what you are good at and pursue that.

1 Like

I’ve had many employees. I would hire and fire them. Plenty of people working in my school would never work in any of my businesses. I would never put up with such a mess.

I don’t associate with low quality people and working for this place really challenges this statement.

I also know that if you want the best out of your hires you need to take care of them and give them positive feedback instead of negative crap all the time.

As a parent with a young child in an elite school here in Taipei I am of course very interested in her schooling. As a teacher at a different elite school I don’t want my classroom kids going home speaking the broken English, rocks in your mouth English my daughter has laughed about explaining to me what she has witnessed at her school. She’s explained she feels sorry for the babies who don’t know any better. She was speaking to the Taiwanese teachers speaking fcuked up English.

Anyhow, I understand this isn’t a battle I’ll ever win but for the amount of money changing hands this is an obvious fraud compared to what the parents and students could be getting instead.

1 Like

It sounds that my thread is busy. I can not be partial because I am the OP. So, I will speak generally. I think every teacher can use different segments to teach. If it doesn’t work, it is fine to find different ways to teach. If it is effective, it is fine. What is gonna happen if the teacher just follows one teaching rule and it never works? Montessori and Waldorf are very well-respected worldwide. But, it doesn’t mean every person agrees with the educational system they use. Sometimes, it works for a particular student, but it isn’t effective to another student. Being a good observer and understanding the students’ needs will definitely create a great atmosphere to teach. I met many teachers criticizing how other teachers teach. I know many of them are competitive. But, competitive of what? All those chain schools basically use the same materials, just a different book cover or characters.

3 Likes

I think you should never accept a demo. If the school is really worried they can put a probationary period into the contract.

By that I mean, can fire employees after some time and can pay a smaller salary for the first like month

1 Like

Otherwise you should just turn down all teaching demos if possible. I can understand if you’re desperate and need money/a job though

What about 10 minutes, not recorded, just to give them a taste?

That’s fine if there are no real students

1 Like

I meant to include this on my reply to prove your point - I am self absorbed

If they’re not trying to produce something worth selling or publishing (as advertising), the motive is presumably to have something on file in case they have too many applicants to remember who’s who and/or to show people higher up who need to sign off on hiring decisions.

It’s still questionable though. If they aren’t willing to sign a contract regarding the recording (separate from the hypothetical employment contract to follow), what guarantee do you have that they won’t use the recording for any other purpose, like advertising on some social media channel you’re unlikely to notice, or (intentionally or unintentionally) sharing it with some opaque entity that will analyze it in furtherance of the development of teacherbots? Even with a contract, if that happens without your knowledge, you won’t be able to claim compensation.

If they absolutely need to let the fuzeren see your demo, they can invite the fuzeren to sit and watch it live.

1 Like