Have APRC by marriage and having an affair

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]
Well, if they have children, it might have to do because the foreign parent might be afraid of losing all the custody rights, plus having their kids raised in a hostile environment which won’t care to teach the foreign parent language to the kid, making impossible for the parent not only to see the kid, but communicate with him. In my opinion, that would be a nightmare even worse than being stuck with someone that doesn’t like you.[/quote]

Ya’ll are bumming me out. Sometimes I think people shouldn’t get married until their mid-thirties, and only after a thorough review of how each partner has handled past conflict and whether such ways of handling conflict would be conducive to a healthy environment for a child (past behavior being the best predictor of future behavior and all).
Of course if everyone were as anxious, strict and critical before entering marriage/parenthood as I am, marriage and child-bearing would be such a rarity that we wouldn’t be having this discussion.[/quote]

I have told you so, NonTocareLeTete, that I wouldn’t marry here, either. I have seen too many cases where the foreign woman is tossed like a dirty rag, or worse, they cannot divorce, or divorce and still live under the same roof as the ex hubby’s and/or his family. Might have to be with being Latinas, they treat us like South East Asian workers/brides -the only ones I know who kept their kids were the ones who had also US passports. Children are rarely encouraged to be bilingual like they would be in our countries, not to say bicultural, which is such a pity. Taiwanese are gradually becoming aware of the asset of kids being fluent in both languages, but breaking down the barriers and ideas of binational kids being less likely to succeed is tough.

That said, I would love to have a kid here and grow up in a safe environment, where being a nerd is not something to be ridiculed, and with people I like to be neighbors with. We have the idea it takes a village to raise a child, and the people they come in contact with, the values they have, has a deep influence. I would like my kids to have the get up and go of the Taiwanese, what we call in Spanish echar pa’lante. I do not want them to have as a goal to do nothing and live la vida loca. At least here they will see people working every day, trying to make ends meet, not hopelessness and cutting corners tempting fate for a flash in the pan. It is not that bad here.

That said, our pal OP said himself that he is only still married for the economic conditions are not ripe yet for departure. Problem is his wife probably knows it. In the best case scenario, she pays him to leave. In the worst, he will leave penniless, and being the one with a skeleton in the closet, he is not sitting on the catbird seat, as he pretends to be. Right now, his other lady adds no pressure, but if the heat goes on from two flanks, things will get ugly.

For every atoga that I know lost his business to his ex wife, I have ment also another atoga that played the gigolo and lives high on the hog at expense of a Taiwanese wife. If we start throwing mud around, the whole world becomes a pigsty. As Auntie Peng has said before, don’t do anything you wouldn’t do in your own country, don’t accept anything in a relationship you wouldn’t in your own country, know your rights, understand that you have a lot to lose, more to lose as the Law is not on your side, try to keep peace and dot your i’s even in the direst circumstances. be the right person and use strong contraceptives, don’t have children on a whim, as they are semi permanent ties with The Island. Beware and be aware.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]
Well, if they have children, it might have to do because the foreign parent might be afraid of losing all the custody rights, plus having their kids raised in a hostile environment which won’t care to teach the foreign parent language to the kid, making impossible for the parent not only to see the kid, but communicate with him. In my opinion, that would be a nightmare even worse than being stuck with someone that doesn’t like you.[/quote]

Ya’ll are bumming me out. Sometimes I think people shouldn’t get married until their mid-thirties, and only after a thorough review of how each partner has handled past conflict and whether such ways of handling conflict would be conducive to a healthy environment for a child (past behavior being the best predictor of future behavior and all).
Of course if everyone were as anxious, strict and critical before entering marriage/parenthood as I am, marriage and child-bearing would be such a rarity that we wouldn’t be having this discussion.[/quote]

I have told you so, NonTocareLeTete, that I wouldn’t marry here, either. I have seen too many cases where the foreign woman is tossed like a dirty rag, or worse, they cannot divorce, or divorce and still live under the same roof as the ex hubby’s and/or his family. Might have to be with being Latinas, they treat us like South East Asian workers/brides -the only ones I know who kept their kids were the ones who had also US passports. Children are rarely encouraged to be bilingual like they would be in our countries, not to say bicultural, which is such a pity. Taiwanese are gradually becoming aware of the asset of kids being fluent in both languages, but breaking down the barriers and ideas of binational kids being less likely to succeed is tough.

That said, I would love to have a kid here and grow up in a safe environment, where being a nerd is not something to be ridiculed, and with people I like to be neighbors with. We have the idea it takes a village to raise a child, and the people they come in contact with, the values they have, has a deep influence. I would like my kids to have the get up and go of the Taiwanese, what we call in Spanish echar pa’lante. I do not want them to have as a goal to do nothing and live la vida loca. At least here they will see people working every day, trying to make ends meet, not hopelessness and cutting corners tempting fate for a flash in the pan. It is not that bad here.
[/quote]

Idea- develop a commune (ok, not commune, people would start slacking- how about just a community) of like-minded individuals, we have our kiddoes, but through a sperm donor so don’t have to worry about the errant spouse, and raise the kiddoes together, helping each other and providing companionship? Eh? Whattaya say? :laughing:
The nuclear family is so 1950’s and the modern model of two people working full time is creating a current of neuroses that zings through the culture like a live-wire. I think my community idea is the answer :wink:

Ironically, they have those in the ol country.

Asia must be the worst place for a free spirited open relationship to be sanctioned. excepting the Middle East. everything is working against this idea here.

So divorce is now on the cards. Can I marry my Filipina and let her stay in Taiwan?

After a divorce, there’s something like a six-month cooling down period in which you can’t get married again.

There is no cooling down period after a divorce under current Taiwan law.

If he has a APRC based on marriage , wouldn’t he lose that status once divorced? And if so, he would not only not have a basis for staying in Taiwan but certainly would not be able to help his mistress stay either. And we never heard if the mistress has a legal right to stay in TAiwan or is she staying illegally?

If it were a JFRV he would lose it, but he would not lose an APRC merely ecause of divorce.

All 3 cases I know of this situation -foreigner married Filipina- were not successful in getting her to stay. Better find out what your prospects are on this regard… or start making plans to move to Filipinas.

That is the beauty of the APRC. He can divorce, not work, whatever, he’s here permanently. That is why so many divorce after getting their APRC or stay married just long enough to get it. Once they got it, they are free men and women, and it doesn’t matter if they divorce or not. The APRC is not based on marriage or work, it is just a condition of being in Taiwan 183 days a year. The APRC is not based on marriage. I have an APRC and I am single. It is based on my time on The Island and my earnings. To get an APRC, you have to prove you have a certain income, for example. This is not a condition for ROC nationality, for instance. Married people have to prove they have enough time here in Taiwan plus certain income/assets in order to get their APRCs.

Now, there could be trouble if there have been allegations of being it a paper marriage for the sake of the visa. If his wife is loaded and has a smart lawyer, she could make these allegations and get him into real trouble, because he is being unfaithful while married, and if there is some kind of proof, she can use the force of the Law to make life miserable for him. Don’t know if it can come to lose his APRC but wouldn’t be surprised if they can take it away from him. Hell’s got no fury and all that jazz.

I recall from the application procedure that there is such a thing as an APRC based on marriage, which (I assume) replaces the old JFRV. I’d guess most of the people who apply for it a women from S.E.Asian countries who don’t have work that meets the salary threshold for a ‘regular’ APRC.

Yes, it means that they have been here X amount of time and instead of their assets, the family -well, the husband’s assets- are considered when meeting the minimum. They “use” the marriage condition to get the APRC. Once they get their APRC, the women can divorce and at least stay in Taiwan to see the kids from afar. Doesn’t matter if they have no job or no place to stay, they have the APRC, they can stay in the island and clean houses for 100 ntd an hour or dishes for 70 mtd. Contrary to the other option, divorcing before getting an APRC, getting kicked out of the country because they have no visa, no job, no assets.

What I mean is to correct Tommy’s assumption that the APRC is “based” on marriage as if when the marriage ends, so does the APRC. That is incorrect. Only the JFVC ends if the marriage ends.

Ah, gotcha. Yes, I’ve heard of that happening.

Hmm wish this was all in place back in 99 . Then I wouldn’t have lost my residency when I divorced, and I may still be on the rock today? Imagine that?

You lost your residence visa because at that time ARC did not exists as it is today. But for starters, as the son of a Taiwanese, you should have been able to stay. That they discriminated against children born to Taiwanese mothers, just because the Taiwanese parent was a woman, is really shameful and a disgrace. I know too many people in your same boat. They have fixed that now, and a child born of a Taiwanese of any gender here or abroad has the right to be inscribed as citizen of ROC. But too late for a lot of people. Not fair, me thinks.

There is no cooling down period after a divorce under current Taiwan law.[/quote]

Oh wow. Are you sure, Rotalsnart? I remember when I was going through my divorce a friend offered to marry me so I’d be able to stay in the country, and it was at that time that I found out you can’t get married for a certain length of time after a divorce here. - But a (very) brief search turns up no such information… Maybe I was wrong all along (and I’ve been spreading false information to others to boot!)

Yes, it means that they have been here X amount of time and instead of their assets, the family -well, the husband’s assets- are considered when meeting the minimum. They “use” the marriage condition to get the APRC. Once they get their APRC, the women can divorce and at least stay in Taiwan to see the kids from afar. Doesn’t matter if they have no job or no place to stay, they have the APRC, they can stay in the island and clean houses for 100 ntd an hour or dishes for 70 mtd. Contrary to the other option, divorcing before getting an APRC, getting kicked out of the country because they have no visa, no job, no assets.

What I mean is to correct Tommy’s assumption that the APRC is “based” on marriage as if when the marriage ends, so does the APRC. That is incorrect. Only the JFVC ends if the marriage ends.[/quote]

What really sucks is that the foreign parent gets expelled in case of a divorce, and thus, forcefully separated from his offspring. There should be a way for the parent to claim an APRC based on the grounds that he/she has a child living in the island.

If the law is biased to give the Taiwanese parent the custody, at least they should offer the opportunity for the parent to stay with his child.

You lost your residence visa because at that time ARC did not exists as it is today. But for starters, as the son of a Taiwanese, you should have been able to stay. That they discriminated against children born to Taiwanese mothers, just because the Taiwanese parent was a woman, is really shameful and a disgrace. I know too many people in your same boat. They have fixed that now, and a child born of a Taiwanese of any gender here or abroad has the right to be inscribed as citizen of ROC. But too late for a lot of people. Not fair, me thinks.[/quote]

Dang right Icon, you should be President instead of that Tsai person !

There is no cooling down period after a divorce under current Taiwan law.[/quote]

Oh wow. Are you sure, Rotalsnart? I remember when I was going through my divorce a friend offered to marry me so I’d be able to stay in the country, and it was at that time that I found out you can’t get married for a certain length of time after a divorce here. - But a (very) brief search turns up no such information… Maybe I was wrong all along (and I’ve been spreading false information to others to boot!)[/quote]

Yes, I’m certain there is no cooling down period under current law today. I believe that historically there was a 6-month cooling down period for women, ostensibly to avoid the possibility of a woman being pregnant and subsequent uncertainty about the father’s identity, but that requirement was abolished.