Have APRC by marriage and having an affair

Yes, it means that they have been here X amount of time and instead of their assets, the family -well, the husband’s assets- are considered when meeting the minimum. They “use” the marriage condition to get the APRC. Once they get their APRC, the women can divorce and at least stay in Taiwan to see the kids from afar. Doesn’t matter if they have no job or no place to stay, they have the APRC, they can stay in the island and clean houses for 100 ntd an hour or dishes for 70 mtd. Contrary to the other option, divorcing before getting an APRC, getting kicked out of the country because they have no visa, no job, no assets.

What I mean is to correct Tommy’s assumption that the APRC is “based” on marriage as if when the marriage ends, so does the APRC. That is incorrect. Only the JFVC ends if the marriage ends.[/quote]

What really sucks is that the foreign parent gets expelled in case of a divorce, and thus, forcefully separated from his offspring. There should be a way for the parent to claim an APRC based on the grounds that he/she has a child living in the island.

If the law is biased to give the Taiwanese parent the custody, at least they should offer the opportunity for the parent to stay with his child.[/quote]

Not all the time, but South East Asians stand none to little chance. It takes an Act of God. Whites ain’t got it easy, either.

Maybe they pull the ‘indecent behavior’ card as they do with naturalization to renounce the APRC?

[quote=“amying”]OK, so I’m not gonna say I’m asking for a friend…my spouse is Taiwanese and I’m having an affair. Can I be deported if found out and if that is what my spouse wants?
Haven’t been found out yet, but who knows…[/quote]

There is no such thing as an APRC through marriage. You have a marriage ARC/JFRV. An APRC and marriage ARC are two TOTALLY different things, with totally different ramifications should you get into shit. You need to get your facts straight. With a marriage ARC, a divorce means your reason for being here, is terminated, along with you.

You lost your residence visa because at that time ARC did not exists as it is today. But for starters, as the son of a Taiwanese, you should have been able to stay. That they discriminated against children born to Taiwanese mothers, just because the Taiwanese parent was a woman, is really shameful and a disgrace. I know too many people in your same boat. They have fixed that now, and a child born of a Taiwanese of any gender here or abroad has the right to be inscribed as citizen of ROC. But too late for a lot of people. Not fair, me thinks.[/quote]

Dang right Icon, you should be President instead of that Tsai person ![/quote]

Yep, on the same boat here. Was born in Taiwan, Taiwanese mother, need to renew my ARC in a couple months… I missed the cut for the “fix” by 4 years! :frowning:

He wants to marry someone from the Philippines just so she can stay?
Why get married again?
Give it a couple of years with your current one before you think about marriage.

And I seem to remember hearing divorce is illegal in the Philippines???

Just for comparison sake, if you get a Green Card in the USA by virtue of being married to an American citizen, that status may be lost if your marriage dissolves before the two year “temporary” green card can be turned into a “permanent” green card.

Because the process to turn the green card by marriage into a permanent one requires proof that the union is still intact. Requires an interview where they assess whether your marriage is a sham or not.

However, the USA being a human rights believin country gives leeway in the case of an abused partner.

That is to say even if the marriage is no longer intact the temporary green card holder could still apply for a permanent green card if there are reports of abuse and battery by the supporting spouse.
And there are extenuating circumstances preventing the spouse (or even former spouse) from returning home.

[quote=“tommy525”]Just for comparison sake, if you get a Green Card in the USA by virtue of being married to an American citizen, that status may be lost if your marriage dissolves before the two year “temporary” green card can be turned into a “permanent” green card.

Because the process to turn the green card by marriage into a permanent one requires proof that the union is still intact. Requires an interview where they assess whether your marriage is a sham or not.

However, the USA being a human rights believin country gives leeway in the case of an abused partner.

That is to say even if the marriage is no longer intact the temporary green card holder could still apply for a permanent green card if there are reports of abuse and battery by the supporting spouse.
And there are extenuating circumstances preventing the spouse (or even former spouse) from returning home.[/quote]

Well, I don’t want to start discussing death penalty, Guantanamo and other human rights issues here, so I’ll dismiss the bolded sentence.

There should be exceptions when there’s a divorce with a child, and you’re not only giving full custody to one of the parents, but effectively deporting the other one because he can’t stay in the country without being married. There should be at least the option in guaranteeing that both parents will become available to the child, at least until he/she can decide who wants to live with.

And as previously mentioned, there should be special cases in which one part has been abused by the other one and the divorce is a result of that. Now, the rules that define “abuse” are written by half-assed people who will, most of the time, decide that the male is the culprit by default, even for bogus accusations, and won’t take seriously any complaints made by the husbands that are being abused by his wife.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”][quote=“tommy525”]Just for comparison sake, if you get a Green Card in the USA by virtue of being married to an American citizen, that status may be lost if your marriage dissolves before the two year “temporary” green card can be turned into a “permanent” green card.

And there are extenuating circumstances preventing the spouse (or even former spouse) from returning home.[/quote]

Well, I don’t want to start discussing death penalty, Guantanamo and other human rights issues here, so I’ll dismiss the bolded sentence.

There should be exceptions when there’s a divorce with a child, and you’re not only giving full custody to one of the parents, but effectively deporting the other one because he can’t stay in the country without being married. There should be at least the option in guaranteeing that both parents will become available to the child, at least until he/she can decide who wants to live with.

And as previously mentioned, there should be special cases in which one part has been abused by the other one and the divorce is a result of that. Now, the rules that define “abuse” are written by half-assed people who will, most of the time, decide that the male is the culprit by default, even for bogus accusations, and won’t take seriously any complaints made by the husbands that are being abused by his wife.[/quote]

You can get a JFRV through your child, if he/she is a national.

I guess in order to do that, you need to have full custody of the kid. There have been cases in Forumosa where the Taiwanese parent had full custody and the foreign parent was unable to get a visa, having to leave the country because of that.

As long as the abused party is the foreign applicant spouse, not the US national spouse. In practice, if the case does not look suspicious to them or have statistical “red flags”, they will not even interview you, just send you a form that has you check whether or not you (the US national spouse) entered the marriage in good faith. No questions at all about the foreign spouse’s behavior or intentions (I suppose they do a criminal recrord check, but not sure).

At least this was my personal experience. On the plus side, I am good Facebook friends with the second ex-wife. :smiley:

As long as the abused party is the foreign applicant spouse, not the US national spouse. In practice, if the case does not look suspicious to them or have statistical “red flags”, they will not even interview you, just send you a form that has you check whether or not you (the US national spouse) entered the marriage in good faith. No questions at all about the foreign spouse’s behavior or intentions (I suppose they do a criminal recrord check, but not sure).

At least this was my personal experience. On the plus side, I am good Facebook friends with the second ex-wife. :smiley:[/quote]

Yes I meant the abused being the foreign spouse. What ? NO interview? There definitely is going to be an interview when you are going for your initial temp Green Card. Even if there is no suspicion, I have not heard of anyone getting a form to just send in these days. At best the interview will go very smoothly (like ours did).

And far as I know, when you pay your 800 plus dollars for the Permanent Green Card there will be another interview. I don’t think they will just send us a form for us to fill in and send in. That would be great, but that is not what I gathered will be the situ.

At the interview for the Permanent Green Card (after one’s marriage is in effect over two years), one is supposed to once again present evidence of the union . Show joint ownership of property or loan (such as being together on an Auto loan or mortgage or at least the lease agreement). Pictures together. Affidavits from neighbors that the union is together could be helpful, etc. And the Immigration Occifer will perhaps ask some tricky questions or not.

Our first interview was luckily smooth and was over in about 15 minutes. Others report quite a trying interview. IF they suspect you are in a fraudulent marriage they will separate you and grill the shitzle out of you.

I guess in order to do that, you need to have full custody of the kid. There have been cases in Forumosa where the Taiwanese parent had full custody and the foreign parent was unable to get a visa, having to leave the country because of that.[/quote]

I personally know two divorced guys who have gone this route extremely easily. If it is rejected, it is definitely for another reason.

I guess in order to do that, you need to have full custody of the kid. There have been cases in Forumosa where the Taiwanese parent had full custody and the foreign parent was unable to get a visa, having to leave the country because of that.[/quote]

I personally know two divorced guys who have gone this route extremely easily. If it is rejected, it is definitely for another reason.[/quote]

Good to know, if the shit ever hits the fan.

You can marry a Filipina. I and two friends are married to Filipinas and have been in Taiwan with our wives for years.

[quote=“bigduke6”][quote=“amying”]OK, so I’m not gonna say I’m asking for a friend…my spouse is Taiwanese and I’m having an affair. Can I be deported if found out and if that is what my spouse wants?

There is no such thing as an APRC through marriage. You have a marriage ARC/JFRV. An APRC and marriage ARC are two TOTALLY different things, with totally different ramifications should you get into shit. You need to get your facts straight. With a marriage ARC, a divorce means your reason for being here, is terminated, along with you.[/quote]

The deeper issue here is why you are having an affair, not if you can get away with it or what happens when or if you get caught. TBH, I am surprised your TW can’t smell it on you.

Stop the affair and get a divorce and then relax. There’s no point in ruining lives this way. Find someone you can spend your life with, without needing an affair to keep you happy.

As a Western guy in an Asian country, you have many chances at having sex. But just having sex for the sake of it or having sex because you are unhappy with your gal is selfish and will end badly, even if she doesn’t find out.

Somewhere down the line Karma will catch up with you my friend. Take this as advice rather than a warning. You will be much happier with one woman.

[quote=“wonder”][quote=“bigduke6”][quote=“amying”]OK, so I’m not gonna say I’m asking for a friend…my spouse is Taiwanese and I’m having an affair. Can I be deported if found out and if that is what my spouse wants?

There is no such thing as an APRC through marriage. You have a marriage ARC/JFRV. An APRC and marriage ARC are two TOTALLY different things, with totally different ramifications should you get into shit. You need to get your facts straight. With a marriage ARC, a divorce means your reason for being here, is terminated, along with you.[/quote]

The deeper issue here is why you are having an affair, not if you can get away with it or what happens when or if you get caught. TBH, I am surprised your TW can’t smell it on you.

Stop the affair and get a divorce and then relax. There’s no point in ruining lives this way. Find someone you can spend your life with, without needing an affair to keep you happy.

As a Western guy in an Asian country, you have many chances at having sex. But just having sex for the sake of it or having sex because you are unhappy with your gal is selfish and will end badly, even if she doesn’t find out.

Somewhere down the line Karma will catch up with you my friend. Take this as advice rather than a warning. You will be much happier with one woman.[/quote]
What if the OP is a woman? :whistle:

Not too late.
I think you can still claim it if you claim your citizenship if you’re eligible. Are you past military service age?
If it’s yours, claim it. You may want to come back here some day.

About 3 years too late with your reply.

1 Like

Ah, one year, three years. What’s the difference.
Seriously, why is this topic popping up as if it were a “hot topic”?
Couldn’t newer ones be listed?

1 Like

Only popped up on mine because you commented on it. Pretty sure they’re listed by “Latest” by default.

Either way, it does show the “activity” in the right-hand column.