Have I been paying labor insurance, labor pension, or both?

I have lived in Taiwan for nearly 8 years. I worked full time as lecturer in a university for 2 1/2 years and then became a PhD student for the last 5 1/2. I’m about to graduate this semester. I have had part-time jobs during the entirety of my PhD and have filed taxes each year even though I have not needed to pay out anything and have received refunds for anything I did pay in. This was because I was on a scholarship that was tax free and the part-time jobs were low paying.

I’ll keep my part time jobs for another semester before being hired on full time somewhere in Feb. 2013. One of my part-time jobs asked me to pay retirement (公勞保費)and I paid this during my 2 1/2 years as a lecturer when I first arrived. What I would like to know is was/am I paying for labor insurance, labor pension, or both? Maybe no one can answer this question for me but maybe someone can suggest how I can figure this information out. I’m asking this question because I’m wondering if one day I am going to have a labor pension or will I only have the pension provided by my workplace.

I have one other concern that I’m guessing may need to be posted somewhere else but I’ll go ahead and add it here anyway. This is since I am going to be graduating and my student status and ARC will expire at the end of August, will one of my part-time jobs be able to apply for a work permit for me and then I can just use the work permit to extend my ARC but as a work-ARC? I surely hope that Taiwan has advanced to the point where it is not necessary for me to fly out the country just to change the status of my ARC.

I don’t think you can get a work permit for a part-time white collar job when you’re not studying. Call the labor debt. I’m pretty sure it has to be a full-time gig.

About the fees you paid (tax, health insurance, etc). Ask for pay slips from your previous employer. If they say ‘no’, ask to speak to their accountant.

[quote=“bumclouds”]I don’t think you can get a work permit for a part-time white collar job when you’re not studying. Call the labor debt. I’m pretty sure it has to be a full-time gig.

Thanks for the response!

About the fees you paid (tax, health insurance, etc). Ask for pay slips from your previous employer. If they say ‘no’, ask to speak to their accountant.[/quote]

Well, the school has informed me they have checked and I can get a work permit with a part time job. I will be working 9 hours a week.

I know what I have paid. As I said in the other post I can see what I have paid but I don’t know if this is labor insurance or what. And I don’t know if this means in the future I can collect it as a retirement. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I have been paying “公勞保費” but I don’t know if this is labor insurance and if I can collect it when I retire or what. I don’t really know what is the procedures and such. I tried to look at the website for 勞保 but it did not really tell me much and I was looking to see if others on the forum could offer me some advice on what they know about it.

I asked my Taiwanese girlfriend who works in HR and she said “勞保” means health insurance, and “公保” means “association insurance”, whatever that means.

I’m guessing that “公勞保費” on your payslip means those two fees itemized as one.

She tells me “勞工退休金” is the name for superannuation. This is my second white collar job in TW, but I have never paid superannuation on my pay slip. Only tax, 勞保 and 健保.

My gf also added that she thinks it’s “tricky” to add those two items together, as they should have been listed separately. She said this is not standard practice.