Have OWP - Can I be self-employed? How about about taxes and NHI?

Just got my OWP. How can I legally work as a private English teacher? Do I need a license? How do I do my taxes and NHI? Has anyone expeirence with this?

Thanks,

Yali

If you have an OWP, you’re already legal. No additional paperwork necessary. Taxes? I gues you have to declare your income like everyone else. Be honest… :wink:
NHI? Don’t know… yet.

I was wondering myself and so I asked the Ministry of Education. According to them, you can not be an English teacher with an OWP at a Bushiban or privately. You need to have a work permit.

However, I did see a law that said that you can work at any place that didn’t require a certification. In addition, the Council of Labor Affairs said the same thing. My point was that at a bushiban (Not a private or public school), I should be able to work because I don’t need any special certification ( I currently have an OWP), but the Ministry of Education said no. What’s going on?

I’m confused!

Cipos

There is some conflict here. The law itself and the Council of Labour Affairs says that with an OWP or as the spuse of a Taiwanese, you can do any work a Taiwanese can. The Ministry of Education (despite the clear intention of the law) disagrees.

I am also interested in how you declare your taxes a freelance. Do you just tell the tax office how much you made, or do you have to provide some sort of receipts?

Brian

mmmm, interesting :bulb:

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]I am also interested in how you declare your taxes a freelance. Do you just tell the tax office how much you made, or do you have to provide some sort of receipts?

Brian[/quote]
You will need to bring supporting documents as prove of income - bank book, pay slips, and yes - receipts. If you don’t have any evidence to support your claim, the tax office will do their own arbitrary assessment. :frowning:

Does my OWP make me eligible for a business license?

I went down to the Taitung County Commercial to apply for a business license. They told me locals only.

Any successes?

malcolm

[quote=“m”]Does my OWP make me eligible for a business license?

I went down to the Taitung (Taidong) County Commercial to apply for a business license. They told me locals only.

malcolm[/quote]

“Locals only” seems to be the response given to any foreigner for any reason. I’m highly interested in any responses from others who have their own businesses, not ones that they run but their spouses/business partners own. And good luck!

Most foreigners I know have hubbie/wifey arrangements or local partner.

What I want to do is offer a service. But I want to be registered with local gov’t rather than just off the cuff.

…for legitimacy, credibility.

They told me to register it in my wife’s name. But i don’t want to lay that stress on her.

I’m a DIY kinda guy. It ueks me to know end that everything keeps coming back to the missus. The gov’t has foreign spouses totally dependentd upon and even straight-jacketed by the local spouse.