Have valid drivers license, don't have ARC: legal to drive?

not many have the resolve to argue/fight to get what they are entitled to.

We r troublemakers mate haha!

3 Likes

How about being stateless for almost a year? Care to try that one? lol

My Taiwan drivers license never expired when I had my ARC cancelled and was waiting for my TARC.

4 Likes

Yes. I had a working holiday visa.

What situation in Taiwan do foreigners not have to argue with the government? Iā€™ve had to argue with the government every single time Iā€™ve tried to do something.

1. Thereā€™s an expiry date on the card.

2. You can see your licence details online.

3. Your point is that it expires with your ARCā€¦ how is that possible when I never had one?

4 Likes

Reminds me of this shadow I had back in the 1990ā€™s.

2 Likes

Ahh ok!! Totally forgot about this Visa as Iā€™ve only encountered a handful of ppl who came to Taiwan on the WHV.

Point noted. So I guess the OP is good to go then. Cheers!

3 Likes

How about Taiwan Nationals who get right to stay for 1 year visiting relatives? They may not yet have a TARC?

2 Likes

mentioned that

6 posts were split to a new topic: Not about legal stuff

I wouldnā€™t recommend it. The program is supposed to be reciprocal. In Taiwan itā€™s reciprocal on paper and not in practice. I got good at arguing with the typical idiots really fast. That was my introduction to Taiwan. My first entry to Taiwan was WHV, had never been before that.

2 Likes

OK In my sonā€™s case. He was born in March 1991 in Taichung. His ARC expired in March 2011. Yet DMV extended his license until March 2020. He had no Taiwan passport. No visa to be in Taiwan. OH yeah he got DMV to use his English name and not Chinese name. Funny how they could not put in his first name middle name and surname. Police in Taiwan would be like eh? How is it you only have your first name on your license. lol.

2 Likes

Richard Hartzell?

I think that is the guy, donā€™t recall the name though

Mine has all five ā€˜wordsā€™ if my name on it, in English

Your son is about my age!

2 Likes

So many young guns on this forum.

2 Likes

But still all older than me hahaha

Iā€™d like to know more about this so that I may do so myself. Which MOTC office did they go to apply? What did they argue? Who did they speak to? Thanks.

it was long time ago, my licence is already detached from my ARC since myARC will expire in 2025, while my licence in 2028. I went to bade rd DMV in Taipei and just gave my HK licence for conversion, my passport, my arc, the health certificates and the notarisation of the HK licence by TECO HK.

Hey Justin, thanks for providing the link. I noticed that this form seems to require an ā€œEntry & Exit Permit Noā€, which, according to Wikipedia, is a travel document issued to PRC residents and citizens. Any idea how one would complete this form if youā€™re not from China?

Only NWOHr and people from China can apply online. Everyone else has to go to NIA to apply, it doesnā€™t take long though

1 Like

So I tried to apply using UIN as you mentioned, but was refused. Perhaps I should try in Taichung like you did. Do you recall who you talked to about this?