Have you ever quit after 1 week?

So following up not taking the job in Shanghai Leaving Taipei to Shanghai for work?

I’ve been put in a rather weird position. I’ve basically got ready to leave for somewhere, didn’t look for anything else and decided that I would stay in Taiwan for at least another year. So I started a job kinda just looking for something, it seemed decent as a sales job. I know how sales job goes, it’s uncapped so always a plus but like any jobs like that the base is not even livable on. I’ve done sales jobs before and done well, but this one is selling to a small nich market for multi millionaire and billionaires. It’s something you can do well after a year or two building a client base. But in the beginning it’s like 10-16hr grind a day to barely make any money. I’m just not sure i’m willing to spend that much of my time in this.

After one week, I hate it. I really hate it, it’s not that I can’t do it, it’s def not easy but I know I can do it. But i’ve just not slept much cold calling, looking for leads. I have zero time right now for the gym, which is killing me. Some people go out for the weekend for drinks, smokes, hike, etc for pleasure away from work. I like to workout, it makes me mentally happy and physically in shape is also a plus.

Have you guys ever just known a job isn’t for you after a short time and quit.

I’m considering just taking a restaurant job and perhaps resetting. I don’t want to not work but I don’t want to be miserable.

1 Like

What happened to whatever you were doing before this Shanghai offer that you didn’t take?

Basically during the summer, the gym I was working at got sold. It’s now in reconstruction and won’t be open in another month or so. I guess I can probably get a job there as the last owners all pretty much said I was one of their best if not the best trainer(Not in terms of pure knowledge but ability to teach)/employee in the 3 years there. So the new owners would probably hire me back in some position, not sure if it’s the same managing operations and head trainer…

Also did a lot of private coaching and worked with a youth after school program as well. But I let them know that there was a chance during the summer that I could not return next school year, which is now so they should look at finding someone else. So those positions are filled. Which I’m ok with, I mostly did it because I liked working with kids in athletics and private coaching actually paid well.

I have a lot of things I can do here, just nothing I haven’t done before and back to square 1 instead of being able to move upwards if you know what I mean.

I once took a job so I could have an apartment, then quit the day after I moved in.

IDK, I’m in a pretty bad place in my head right now. I really regret not taking the job at shanghai to be head of operation and marketing. Maybe the pay wasn’t like amazing right away…it left room to renegotiate for much higher after 3 months and it is higher than anything i’m looking at in taiwan right now. Plus it’s something I enjoy and am good at. I’m trying to not blame my gf for basically being the one to suggest that she wants to leave taiwan…but not shanghai. And it sounds awful but a little bit bitter that my mom is sick told me she wanted me to stay…

I think it’s just the lack of sleep, taking care of a 2 week old bunny that almost died, sick gf that i’m taking care of…working 14 hours a week plus doing extra stuff to just get ahead this weekend.

I guess I can look at it as an opportunity to find something else I want to do. And at least know I don’t want to do this job for sure.

I can get some capital to start a small business…could think of some ideas or maybe hit up some people who might want to do something. I like being able to flex my ideas and not be so stuck doing repetitive tasks.

Can’t you go back to that gym job until next year and see if the Shanghai job is still open?

Could be possible next month if I asked. But now i’m dealing with a Taiwanese owner…I know they probably won’t want to pay me much. I do like working at a gym and running things. I’m just not sure they would let me do anything besides being a trainer like before. Because I don’t really want to be just a trainer. I liked the business side of things.

I wanted to quit an awful job after 1 week, and didn’t for reasons I’ll explain. I’ve only ever cut one contract short and that was at a private middle school in Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea, filled with the biggest bunch of spoiled, rich brats you’ve ever seen. Kids of CEOs, children actors, and other entitled punks. 13 and 14 years old and already reeking of booze and cigs. They’d scream curses at the teacher and flick us off when we asked for their homework. They’d toss their desk when frustrated. One even punched a female teacher in the face. Impossible to get a word in, let alone teach. Morale in the office was awful. Everyone hated their job, and that seeped into how they carried themselves and approached the job so no one liked each other in the office either. I gave my 90 day notice after one month. Giving notice was part of the contract, and I wanted to do it legit so I wouldn’t lose my work visa. If I had just pulled a midnight runner it would’ve really fucked over my life at the time. So I decided to just tough it out. But those last three months dragged, and it was hell waiting it out. When I was finally free I swore I’d never teach kids again and I never have. Glad to be in a Uni again. I’ll take office politics and demanding work loads over that nightmare environment any day. Whew you got me going… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh wow that’s … hard to imagine :scream::scream:

I wish that I was smart enough to quit after one week at my sales job. I used to be a car salesman at two different dealerships, the first one took a month worth of training and then I felt committed. After completing training, they split our group in half. One half stayed working where we applied, the other half got moved to work a few towns over, which of course the latter was my group. After working myself to death for months, dealing with being treated like shit by customers, I had an absolutely miserable day.

Along the drive from my house to my place of work, I ran over some rumble strips and overcorrected on the highway. My car did a few 360 spins, luckily avoiding the nearby semi-truck until crashing into some barriers. I called into work letting them know what happened and I would be late. Called a tow truck to the repair shop and my mother for a ride to work. Once I arrived, they fired me. No reason given, just, “sign these forms.”

That was my first introduction to the sales world. Customers treat you like shit because you’re trying to sell them something, even though they’re at a car dealership. Bosses treat you worse, at that dealership you couldn’t even make full commission until after 3 months. The first 3 months had to be shared 50/50 with “senior” salesmen, even if you did all the work. Then I looked for a similar position elsewhere before eventually realizing working sales was slowly sucking away my soul.

That was perhaps 6 years ago. Working from the early morning to late at night. I’ve never looked back and wish I was smart enough to quit after a week.

1 Like

I feel you. I felt so committed and I feel bad just leaving. But it’s just business. I feel like I would get decent at it and maybe even good. And I’m sure it won’t be as tiring once I get a couple accounts and not so much pressure. But I just don’t care about it that much. I rather enjoy my life. Don’t get me wrong. I worked long hours, harsher than this. But it was a personal project that I loved and wanted to do. I have no passion for this besides getting money. I don’t care for the company, I’m not looking to build and expand it. Just the commission.

I want to be able to come home, and do things I enjoy. Read a book, watch a show, turn on the PlayStation for a hour or 2, have a dinner with my family or gf and not be so tired and moody. And enjoy my weekends which was the pretty much me looking for leads for this week to get ahead. It was pretty today that I realized that tomorrow I would continue to hate this.

It sounds like you already know what to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

giphy

I’d have quit overnight and let the dead bury their dead.

1 Like

I quit a job after a week a few years ago. Felt a bit embarrassed. But recently I went on Glassdoor and checked the company out; a whole heap of people have done the same due to the ridiculous training they put you through which includes having to give a presentation on what your training has taught you wherein managers humiliate you about factual errors that actually come from the training materials. I left before I could be humiliated.

1 Like

To be fair he was suspended. For all of 2 days, lol. These were all the children of wealth (hellspawn from Gangnam, the one percenter district that Psy made famous) so the administrative priority was not to piss the parents off too much or they’d withdraw their kids and all that sweet, sweet cash. I didn’t actually witness the punch, but he was in one of my classes and whenever I saw that scowling, adolescent bruiser I backed the fuck off. Didn’t do your homework? Want to play on your phone all class? Fine. Just don’t physically assault me. 14 year old dude had the build of a shit brickhouse.

Oh yeah, def glad to be out of there.

I own a few companies, so I’m looking at this from the opposite side. Basically, the company decided to hire you and rejected other applicants for the position. It’s a commitment from them to you, as much as it is one from you to them. And if you do sales towards high net individuals, which is a very limited market, it will look bad if the face of the company suddenly changes.

The upside of sticking it out for a little longer is that you can quit on better terms and with more of a sense of accomplishment. And as you said, you will probably get quite good at it. Think of it as being on a sports team: it’s tough at first, but over time you build connections and a mutual understanding with your team and grow together. Also, developing relationships with high net individuals can help you in the long run - my first two investors are former customers.

If you do decide to quit, make sure to erase all traces of you having worked for the company. Otherwise this short episode will hurt you during future reference checks. As an employer, we always look very carefully for/at short employment periods to see if job candidates have discipline and the necessary persistence to overcome challenging situations.

Just my 5 NTD. Best of luck in whichever course you choose!

2 Likes

If you work only for money, it will never make you happy. No matter how much they pay you, you’ll get to a point where you don’t even recognize yourself anymore because you only get happy when it’s payday then it fades once the money starts to fade for bills, night outs, etc etc.

Personally, I think it’s only fair to quit when I no longer even like the job I’m doing. I think it’s fair both to me and my employer because (1) I get myself back together, think about my next move that would be right for me, and (2) that employer could pay someone else for possibly a truly equal amount of effort than what I can/am willing to give. When you start to dislike a job to the point that you are envisioning yourself quitting, it’s already done and done for you.

I tried staying at a company for a year because I didn’t want leaving immediately to mess up my resume. But you know what? The last 6 months of that employment were the worst employment days of my life. It felt even worse than when I got laid off a few years back.

I understand where youre coming from. Trust me, this isn’t something I take lightly. I’ve been been the manager, and was part of the hiring and firing process for many people. Some were truly unprofessional and ungrateful. The idea of quitting hurts me as i’ve never quit at anything in my life and just stuck it out. But this isn’t some sports team, this is my career.

The only reason i’m doing it is because.

1. It’s a one month contract, and i’m not even guaranteed full employment a month after. So should I stick it out and then do a good job and say hey guys, thanks for putting all this effort. But I don’t want to do this. I think this is worse.
  2. I’ve done my part, I did work my ass off. It isn’t like I can’t physically handle the work. I was part of making the first televised MMA sporting event happen ever in Taiwan. I worked at least 12-14 hr min for months, even sleeping at the office to make that happen. I’ve done fight camps where I trained brutal 6 hr days in thailand to leading up to a fight. So I feel like I did my best. And it’s just something I don’t want to be in.
    3.I feel absolutely no satisfaction from this. ZERO. I can’t change that, I can control my attitude, and it’s always been positive. I’ve done everything I was asked, but at a certain point I don’t enjoy any part of this. It doesn’t seem to benefit anyone if I just do this.

4.I have zero accounts, they don’t give it to you. No reason to try and get it and just leave, that seems pretty bad and what you mentioned. Let’s just say the service is for people that at least have 100milUSD in net worth to even consider. Not exactly easy to find.

You are exaggerating somewhat, lots of folks work on probation for a month or a few months or so, doesn’t work out for whatever reason. Just like in this case there’s going to be no long term commitment anyway may as well nip it in the bud. Thre are actually a multitude of different kinds of 'sales jobs`, I’m an experienced sales guy but I would NEVER do high pressure cold call develop all my own sales type work . That doesn’t appeal to me. If I wanted to do that I’d just run my own business or be a broker or whatever.

Employers often show even less commitment than employees.

However I agree it’s best to just not even mention these kind of short stints in future because lots of folks are too quick to make judgements.

yup of course, I have enough on my resume for my age. And some pretty interesting jobs that people don’t usually see.

yeah, this is really the part that I dont like. I can do sales, I’ve done it before. But always at least in person or with someone in my location. Do I really want to stay up and call the US, Europe to make sales and handle accounts? Not really.
And to be fair, I did explain I was passionate about muay thai, boxing. And that it’s something I want to keep doing and have some time to train for and take fights. They said sure, you can basically work very flexible work hours if you get your shit done. Which is true, but i’m taking hours to find leads right now, and hours more to get to clients. It’s not exactly easy getting to people who have a such high net worth. And i’m far from being close to having a large enough portfolio to have any time for that.