Have you ever said 'lol' in real life?

Well, have you?

• Yes
  • Nope
  • Anyone who answers ‘Yes’ should stop using computers for a period lasting say…forever…Starting NOW

0 voters

Recently a friend of mine in response to a comment I had made- said ‘lol’.
We were both quite shocked and I suggested that he get some help for that. Have you ever said that or any other internet acronyms in real life, face-to-face conversation?

Also, has anyone actually been laughing out loud when they type ‘LOL’, How about ROFLMAO ?

When I type lol- in reality it is a snigger at best.

I really really really hate that term. It reeks of smugness and self-satisfaction. People who laugh at their own jokes. Whenever I see ‘LOL’, I picture some greasily middle-aged slimeball with a combover making some sexist joke and greasily chuckling at his ‘wit’. That’s the image LOL conjures. Sniggering is rude, people.

I use it online, but very rarely. I don’t see the need for it; the English language isn’t so poor that you can’t find other ways of expressing the fact you find something funny.

In real life, it’s just pointless - if something’s funny, laugh. I lived with a couple of people who used to say “lol” out loud often, and by Jesus and all the disciples it irked me. It means “laughing out loud” - if that’s what you think of something in real life, LAUGH OUT LOUD.

AOLish language like that just shits me in general; online it’s less annoying (marginally, and only when used in moderation), in SMS messages it’s understandable, in real life - whether handwritten or spoken, it should be punishable by a severe kicking. And if you think I’m kidding about it being handwritten - I lived with a trainee teacher last year, and one of his kids, in an elementary school class, handed in an assignment peppered with that shit. Needless to say he didn’t pass on that assignment.

I read ‘lol’ as short hand for ‘that’s mildly amusing’ when you’re typing.
When it’s used on its own it just means, "I can’t think of anything to say but I wish to appear to be saying something.’

As for using ‘lol’ in real life, that’s just sad.

I use it occasionally in email - it’s just the text equivalent of: :laughing: ROFLMAO is more succinct and less formal than ‘oh, that was bloody hilarious!’

Actually, Forumosa has spoiled me to the extent that occasionally I’ve SO wanted to use an emoticon in writing an email (particularly :unamused: ) and get annoyed that I can’t. Yes, you can express emotions without the use of emoticons, but they get their meanings across so clearly and precisely :idunno: See? :smiley:

It’s okay to say lol as long as you also say semicolon parenthesis.

As long as he didn’t try to mime an emoticon I think he will be safe.

LOL is the initials for “laughing out loud” and this term was used quite frequently by me and my parents generations before the age of computers. Youall didn’t really think this expression was invented by computer geeks, now did you? LOL :laughing:

Why, before the advent of instant messaging and SMS messaging, would you have any cause to use abbreviations like “lol”?

I think we all know what lol stands for Shin. :bravo:

How did you use LOL with your parents? Would you say “ell oh ell” (lol)? Or “I’m laughing out loud”? Please explain.

Perhaps you mean you used it in normal English like “We laughed out loud when he slipped on the banana peel.” Well - DUH! - of course this was used before the Internet era. :unamused:

The expression was “for laughing out loud” and was used to indicate annoyance with an act or vocalization that was inane or ridiculous. That’s why I use it in my posts so much. :laughing:

But that’s not LOL. That’s the point.

When you see “LOL”, do you read the meaning as lol or as laughing out loud. THAT is the point!

You can: incredimail.com/english/t1/s … f3_v1.html

[color=red]LOL[/color]

While reading this thread I did, LOL, no, really, I did.

snicker, snicker, chuckle, chuckle. :loco: