Have you ever scolded someone else's child?

I think it is up to all adults to keep an eye on all kids. It’s not just the role of parents. These little brats are the next in line, splat bad habits now or wear them when you have less capacity to fight back!

HG[/quote]

yes… but santa backhanding a kid would not be very good rep for the school or myself would it? (and no, the kid in question is not a student of our school - he just lived in the same apartment block)

i have never raised a hand to a child, but that fat little brat nearly made me do it… and the fact that his mother condoned the behaviour - even encouraged it - made it even more tempting…

[quote=“ImaniOU”] She lectured you for being an ass so you showed her she was wrong by being an ass. Ri-ight… You really showed her. :unamused:
Had you pulled that shit with me, your cold would have been the least of your physical worries. [/quote]

Is this for real?

I only ask because the story was mostly made up. I would have thought that might have been obvious from this…

The only part that was true was that I was sick as a dog, fever, raging headache, runny nose, coughing all over the place and I did commit the unpardonable sin of putting my zun zu nai cha cup in sombody’s scooter basket. She complained. I took it out. I even mumbled a half assed apology. She complained some more, and I shot her a look meant to convey that our dealings were through. She got the idea apparently because she sort of skulked away. The end.

I’m still curious though, at which point in the made up story would you have become violent? And after you had become violent what do you expect my reaction would have been? It really is too embarrassing to even contemplate isn’t it?

Lets start again…

I often scold other people’s children in Taiwan - it seems to me that you run into an awful lot of badly behaved children and clueless parents here.
Once I was waiting for my flight at the airport and trying to get some work done when two little kids started bothering me. I told them to fuck off, but that just encouraged them, so I grabbed the youngest one, dragged him over to his parents, and started screaming at them about the little idiot’s behaviour. I also pointed out that if he pointed at, screeched and mocked certain minorities in America (their destination) he might get into a lot more trouble than he was with me.
I’ve been to several operas and symphony concerts here that have been disrupted by children. If they are near me, I tell them to shut up - and so far they always have. I think maybe they or their parents don’t realize you are not supposed to make noise during performances of Western classical music.
My personal favorite - a 6-year-old sitting next to me on the MRT complained loudly because he had to sit next to me. He even went so far as to mime throwing up. He went on and on - to my embarrassment, because everyone else is pretending nothing’s wrong, and evidently laughing at the dumb foreigner who can’t understand Chinese - but I can. Finally I grabbed him by the back of his shirt, stood him up and said that if he didn’t want to sit by me, he could stand up. The look of shock on his face was priceless. Mommy panicked and called over Dad, who said he was going to tell the security guards at the next station. I told him to go ahead, and they got off at the next stop.

Durin’s Bane, you forgot the one that absolutely drives me around the bend:

Kid’s Clothing: $5000
Monthly tuition at English school $10,000+
Helmet for darling child’s head: $0

Helmet? Why would the kid need a helmet??? :fume: :fume: :loco:

Honestly, most of the time I don’t really scold the kid so much as give it to the parents in the guise of scolding the kid.

I wouldn’t be going around scolding everyone’s kids. If a kid’s pulling on an expensive dinosaur tail in a museum then whatever. It’s not your problem. If a kid’s spitting on an animal in the zoo, you’re not solving anything by scolding the kid while his stupid father is letting it go on. Fuck, I’d join in on the action and we’d have a spitting party while the father watched. I’d ask him to join in. If he refused, I’d say “Why?”

That’s a great response. :laughing:

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Oh Lord, where do I begin.

One of the things that is driving me out of Taiwan are these rat-faced, turd sucking parents. I’m sorry but I see this shit everyday and am fucking getting sick and tired of dealing with these ignorant parental assholes.

Taiwan kids, in general, are being raised to be foul mouthed and rude.

I’m tired of seeing 5th graders being fed by mom.

Why do they ask me how to stop their children from watching too much TV?

Candy and chocolate milk is not a healthy breakfast.

$5,000 NT worth of clothes covering them but don’t have a toothbrush and toothpaste?

No respect for their environment (as was mentioned in previous posts).

Don’t show up drunk when you pick up your kids (especially if you are a policeman).

How can you forget where your children are?

Pimp slapping your daughter in front of the school because she didn’t get first prize in a reading competition is not okay.

If you don’t have time to spend with your kids then don’t have them. Visiting them once a month is better than not visiting them at all is better than nothing I suppose.

If they can’t see the blackboard then buy them glasses.

Not only am I supposed to teach them English, Math, Civics, Science, and Chinese I am also supposed to teach them how to be polite, act responsibly, and be civil to each other.

More ranting later… :fume:

Durins Bane
Surrogate Parent to over 700 Taiwanese Children.[/quote]

Hee hee,

Thank you for reminding me why I don’t miss this profession… :smiley:

[quote=“bob”][quote=“ImaniOU”] She lectured you for being an ass so you showed her she was wrong by being an ass. Ri-ight… You really showed her. :unamused:
Had you pulled that shit with me, your cold would have been the least of your physical worries. [/quote]

Is this for real?

I only ask because the story was mostly made up. I would have thought that might have been obvious from this…

The only part that was true was that I was sick as a dog, fever, raging headache, runny nose, coughing all over the place and I did commit the unpardonable sin of putting my zun zu nai cha cup in sombody’s scooter basket. She complained. I took it out. I even mumbled a half assed apology. She complained some more, and I shot her a look meant to convey that our dealings were through. She got the idea apparently because she sort of skulked away. The end.

I’m still curious though, at which point in the made up story would you have become violent? And after you had become violent what do you expect my reaction would have been? It really is too embarrassing to even contemplate isn’t it?

Lets start again…[/quote]

Humblified, but you forgot the “grain of salt” smilie.

It might take a village, but sometimes it seems like the only village actually raising Taiwanese children consists of foreigners…Western ones and Southeast Asian ones.

I’m aware that I stick my nose into other parents’ business a little bit more often than they might like, but as I have told people time and time again, my dedication is not to the parents or even to the schools, but to the well-being and self-worth of the children. I don’t go to work early or stay late because I want to impress my boss (who doesn’t seem to give a toss either way, unless I’m sick or late since that would cut into profits). I do it so I can prepare things that will engage my students and help them learn.

I only wish some parents showed the same kind of dedication and responsibility to their own children rather than passing them off for everyone else to raise.

I scold them every f*)(_*)** day in school. Then I’ve come to realize that it’s a waste of my energy for doing so, as it’s not my child and who am I to say what they should do and not do. This is a different culture and who am I to impose what my values are on someone else’s child. If the child doesn’t want to behave in a manner that I believe is appropriate, then that reflects on the parents. And the parents are free to raise thier child as they see fit.

And I am free to choose to respond to that child as I see fit. Which would be without anger for the benefit of my own sanity… :smiley:

[quote=“Namahottie”]I scold them every f*)(_*)** day in school. Then I’ve come to realize that it’s a waste of my energy for doing so, as it’s not my child and who am I to say what they should do and not do. This is a different culture and who am I to impose what my values are on someone else’s child. If the child doesn’t want to behave in a manner that I believe is appropriate, then that reflects on the parents. And the parents are free to raise thier child as they see fit.

And I am free to choose to respond to that child as I see fit. Which would be without anger for the benefit of my own sanity… :smiley:[/quote]

Yeah, no doubt. Plus, you’re not getting paid to discipline. You’re getting paid to teach. That’s my theory, anyway. I hate telling stupids to be quiet. Even a ruffling of a coat is not accepted.

Yeah, figured that earlier post was one of those “reply before I even really read posts” (lord knows I’ve posted my share) but still it kind of hurt. Like I said earlier, lets start again. Generally I think you are terrific.

Who you callin’ General Lee?

“Humblified” is ImaniOU-speak for “I’m sorry for waxing soapboxically so I missed the missing grain of salt smilie that wasn’t really there to begin with”. Perhaps it’s time to turn in.

Nice balance. I wonder if it landed quite so horizontally.