Have you seen Mr. Oolong Tea Pot Head?

This is the weirdest thing I think I’ve seen in Taiwan for some time, and it represents Taiwan to all the visitors from the airport!

offpeak, it was originally a poster of a headless man, but that was deemed too historically accurate, so they stuck the teapot on top.

i mean this is one of the first things people see when they get off the plane. a headless teapot man. there could be like a whole series: the headless bing lang girl, or the headless cab driver, or even the headless ren zhu min guy. wait, here comes the headless box collector guy, and the headless noodle stand guy.

i’m sure people thought it was “cute,” but it sure comes off strange.

Well, so do a lot of other things in Taiwan … but hey, at least you can’t say this place doesn’t have character … :laughing:

I like it. If it was some bland, generic poster you wouldn’t remember it, would you? Plus, this island does have great tea.

It is dumb. Maybe it is designed to appeal to Japanese tourists since they are the major buyers of Taiwan’s teas. If that is the case then a Hello Kitty Oolong Tea Pot head would have been more appropriate.

I’m sure, then, you were part of the focus group that made them decide to use old teapot head.

I’m sure, then, you were part of the focus group that made them decide to use old teapot head.[/quote]
I definitely am a hard core Oolong tea head (as Tigerman is to beer) and can be found most nearly everyday making a pot or two tea but I wasn’t asked to participate in that focus group. I would definitely have voted for the Hello Kitty Tea Pot Head version though as that would be the ultimate blend of traditional and modern Taiwanese culture and certain to elicite ooohs, aaahs and kawais from incoming Japanese tourists. :slight_smile:

BTW: The man’s body on that isn’t one of those lifesize cardboard figures borrowed from the Presidential Office is it?

I’m sure, then, you were part of the focus group that made them decide to use old teapot head.[/quote]
I definitely am a hard core Oolong tea head (as Tigerman is to beer) and can be found most nearly everyday making a pot or two tea but I wasn’t asked to participate in that focus group. I would definitely have voted for the Hello Kitty Tea Pot Head version though as that would be the ultimate blend of traditional and modern Taiwanese culture and certain to elicite ooohs, aaahs and kawais from incoming Japanese tourists. :slight_smile:

BTW: The man’s body on that isn’t one of those lifesize cardboard figures borrowed from the Presidential Office is it?[/quote]

I don’t know, I’m just glad, for your sake, that the Tourism Bureau didn’t carry through with their Teapot Head and Glutinous Ricecake Head posters.

i also saw a taro head once down in Southern Taiwan, somewhere around Guan Zi Lin, which was off of the cross island highway.

Oh, and chinese like to call people pig heads. and there is of course the ubiquitous snake head.

:bulb:

there is a chain of grocery markets that have a fantastic turnip/radish man mascot. i inquired about t-shirts, but they seemed to be fresh out.