Have your debating skills improved because of posting?

I’ve just noticed that the way I argue/debate with real people has changed. I’ve just ordered something over the net and got billed for “free shipping”. The way I answered was prompt and I provided “links” to back up my arguement. Some people really put a lot of effort into their posts (I’m not one of them) and must have seen a substantial improvement in their skills of reasoning. What do ou say?

Yes, I have seen some changes in my arguing since I started posting on the internet.

1. My ability to edit what I have to say, after I have said it, has improved dramatically, as has my ability to put my foot in my mouth (but I think that’s just the yoga).

2. I’m using the Rubber-Glue rebuttal less frequently and relying more on simply quoting some Grateful Dead lyrics instead.

3. My attempts at making a stinky face ( :stinkyface: ) looks more stinky and less face-y.

4. I know I can face anything after arguing with a few flaming smurfs on orienteguemosa.org.com.tw.com and coming out only slightly singed.

Yes, brousing the pages of forumosa has greatly enhanced my vocabulary. And I’ve been here just a few short months. Before Feb. 2006 I had no idea words like [quote=“sandman”]fucktard[/quote]even existed. Then you can throw a few adjectives in front of that[quote=“sandman”]stupid, ignorant fucktard[/quote] or such clever phrases as [quote=“hexuan”]scabs peeled off the arse of a syphilitic pig [/quote] or how about this rant?[quote=“Toe Tag”]hat junkie slimebag Flush Bimbaugh was arrested today on drug charges. I guess staying doped up on Hillbilly heroin is the only way he can live with his obese self after spewing lies all day long and whoring himself out to the Bush regime. Pretty embarassing that all Bush can do is find loser dope fiends to shill for him. But I didn’t want to let this pass. The conservatives still have a burr up their collective ass about Castro and Che Guevara, and never miss a day without trying to slander them, so I’m taking a page from their playbook. They emit this constant whining sound about the liberal media, but when you turn on the radio all you hear is depraved losers like Bimbaugh, certainly loaded on Percodan and Oxycontin while doing his show. Pathetic.[/quote]
The list could go on and on.
I now feel fully equipped to debate any gangsters, sailors or criminals I encounter.

Yes.

Just because.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Yes.[/quote]Bollocks

Source? :unamused:

I have learned the meaning of the word “ignore” —> being ignored that is! :slight_smile:

Debate? Skills?
And here I thought it was all about smokescreen, thrust & parry! :slight_smile:

Actually, my arguing skills have detiorated sharply. Given the amount of plain idiocy on the Internet, I can no longer even be bothered to argue with half of those I would have debated with in person about 18 or even 10 years earlier. :eh:

Though most of that is probably due to aging, & having kids. It’s surprising how many debators acquire a circular logic, pompous self-aggrandizement, and an endless repetition of the same stale positions that is eerily similiar to an over-tired 5 year old who’s about to slip into a deep funk… One can observe similiar symptoms in many Internet posters, and it appears magnified due to the power of the written word.

And All That That Entails, :sunglasses:

That’s a very effective technique… even if it isn’t taught in fancy debate courses. I’d like to see our politicians utilize this tactic more often.

I’m deeply flattered, but I should confess that I too found this delightful word thanks to a Forumosan. I only wish I’d coined it myself. :blush:

I’m deeply flattered, but I should confess that I too found this delightful word thanks to a Forumosan. I only wish I’d coined it myself. :blush:[/quote][/quote]

maybe,but sillybilly is all yours. :slight_smile:

That’s a very effective technique… even if it isn’t taught in fancy debate courses. I’d like to see our politicians utilize this tactic more often.[/quote]

I can see it now…

Reporter:
Mr.Chen how would you respond to George W. Bush’s personal rejection of your request to transit on US territory during your upcoming trip to banana republic X?..

CSB:
Say you’ll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I’ll be back here too
It all depends on what’s with you

:laughing:

That’s a very effective technique… even if it isn’t taught in fancy debate courses. I’d like to see our politicians utilize this tactic more often.[/quote]

I can see it now…

Reporter:
Mr.Chen how would you respond to George W. Bush’s personal rejection of your request to transit on US territory during your upcoming trip to banana republic X?..

CSB:
Say you’ll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I’ll be back here too
It all depends on what’s with you

:laughing:[/quote]

Ah, I see my newly-found debating techniques are already working…