Having 4 people in a 3-people licensed car?

What’s the worst scenario that could happen when doing such a thing? Insurancewise? Can’t seem to find a reliable reply from my Taiwanese friends - anyone here knows?
Pls note that I have no intention to do something irresponsable like putting 4 kids on a scooter or 2 grandpas in the back of a pickup truck. There are plenty of original seats and seatbelts at hand, just the car documents says 3 person vehicle.

Many thanks, pk!

I don’t have an exact answer for you sorry, but I’m curious as to what car?
At a guess, police would do nothing whatsoever (as is usual in taiwan), however I’ve no doubt your insurance company would use that info to weasel out of any claim in the event of an accident (as is usual the world over).

3 person car? There are not a lot of those I think. I can think of a McLaren F1 or a Matra Murena, but not much else.

less crazy then that, it’s a van (VW T5) that was imported with 3 seats in the front row. Then got additional (original) rear seats and belts - sadly it seems to be impossible to change the documents to fi 6 persons.

right, that are the details I want to find out. How would they know? Then what?

Believe it or not here are many cars here that are obviously capable of carrying more than 2 people, but are only allowed to have a total of 2-3 passengers. For example, any imported pickup truck even if it has an extended cab is only allowed to carry of total of 2 people. Some other vans are going to be the same. So it is definitely a valid question. My personal opinion would be that if you know you are going to be carrying more than you might want to think of another option. You don’t want hanging over you whenever you drive you car. If would be a bummer if you had an accident, but the insurance was voided just because you were carrying too many people in the vehicle was was meant to carry that many people.

yeah… but I’ld be even more pissed if I would spend 200-400.000 more and those insurance-crooks would still find any other reason NOT to pay up in case of an accident. (which happens most of the time anyway)

Believe it or not here are many cars here that are obviously capable of carrying more than 2 people, but are only allowed to have a total of 2-3 passengers. For example, any imported pickup truck even if it has an extended cab is only allowed to carry of total of 2 people. Some other vans are going to be the same. [/quote]

THINK this depends on how the vehicle is registered.

IIRC an extended-cab pickup that’s registered as a commercial vehicle can only carry 2 passengers, and can’t be registered by a foreigner - trucks are for Taiwanese. There are various complicated and self-contradictory past threads on this.

If its registered as a private vehicle it can carry as many people as its got seats for, (and can be registered by a foreigner), BUT hardly anyone registers them like that because you pay a lot more (double?) tax, and, once registered, its stuck in that mode, which’d make it very difficult to sell.

Insurance? Dunno.

Incidentally, while hanging out on the Monte Carlo waterfront in my teens (the way one did in those days) I was passed by one of those 3 seat Matra Simca things (which I’d never seen before) in silver, with three identical platinum blondes all-in-a-row, wearing identical metal-plate (platinum?) dresses.

Thought I was hallucinating (the way one did in those days) but it was probably a photo-shoot en route to the marina.

Ducked is right. I asked my two foreigner friends who own trucks here and they said the same thing. So, if the truck is registered as a private vehicle then insurance shouldn’t be a problem right?

BUT the OP says it isn’t (privately registered), so it (insurance) might be (a problem).

Doubt there’s a fix for this. You either chance it or you don’t do it.

What I have trouble understanding is how a 2 seater scooter is allowed to ride around with the mum, dad, a couple of kids, the family dog and a couple sacks of rice with complete impunity! How is this possible, especially as the children are rarely wearing crash helmets? Surely, a scooter is a 1 or 2 person vehicle, end of!

Somebody help me make sense of this blatant flouting of the law and what would happen in the event of an accident…

[quote=“Crystal Seth”]What I have trouble understanding is how a 2 seater scooter is allowed to ride around with the mum, dad, a couple of kids, the family dog and a couple sacks of rice with complete impunity! How is this possible, especially as the children are rarely wearing crash helmets? Surely, a scooter is a 1 or 2 person vehicle, end of!

Somebody help me make sense of this blatant flouting of the law and what would happen in the event of an accident…[/quote]

:notworthy: :slight_smile: That comment is so true. Made me laugh out loud. I love TW, but sometimes I find this country to be backwards with some rules.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Crystal Seth”]What I have trouble understanding is how a 2 seater scooter is allowed to ride around with the mum, dad, a couple of kids, the family dog and a couple sacks of rice with complete impunity! How is this possible, especially as the children are rarely wearing crash helmets? Surely, a scooter is a 1 or 2 person vehicle, end of!

Somebody help me make sense of this blatant flouting of the law and what would happen in the event of an accident…[/quote]

:notworthy: :slight_smile: That comment is so true. Made me laugh out loud. I love TW, but sometimes I find this country to be backwards with some rules.[/quote]

They are allow to ride like that because everyone else on the road who sees them tries to avoid them like the plague when they seem them. I know I sure as
hell do. You’ll notice one other thing when you see them, they are barely driving the speed limit, and are often to the far right as possible. The police don’t
bother them, because they know that family can’t afford the fine, and they can’t bring themselves to fining them, even when it’s red ticket quota month.