Having a baby? Breast is best

Jennifer, being very serious what do you not take this experience and info to the Health service here with a view to running knowledge sessions for the various doctors and nurses.

It sounds like we were unfortunate as we tried to Bfeed for about four weeks before finally admitting defeat, with as many others have mentioned no help or advice from the local health service, doubly hurtful as my wife really wanted to bfeed. Lack of quantity seemed to be the real issue.
Had we known of the site back then, we would surely of sought your advice.
I also have to agree with the one month confinement, although i believe the original reason was purely selfish on the part of the husband to rid himself of the aggro and noise the new baby undoubtedly makes.

Tenuous, but a link related to Nestle nevertheless.

Jennifer, do you want birth stories from births in Taiwan, or any birth stories?

Births from other places in Taiwan would be good too, I’ll just point out where it took place. There really is a lot of practical information in a birth story. You can just email email it to me privately. Feel free to send a picture if you’d like. However if privacy/security are an issue, you can also exclude names.

Thanks,

Jennifer
My Taipei Baby
http://mytaipeibaby.tripod.com

What about WHO Vacination Records? Those little yellow booklets which are your shot records for int’l travellers and children. That is something which might really gain and hold the attention of the public for disseminating any of your public health info in Taiwan society. You know, get your kids shots updated and support WHO campaigns. I can just see the baby-kissing local politicians getting “needled” into flu or Hepatisis-B shots…a great photo opportunity.

Health care in Taiwan really needs a WHO booster shot.

My first wife had her baby in Beijing (She was Chinese aswell).

The did everything they could to promote breast feeding at that time (1996). There was a huge campagin in the mainland, bottle fed children were almost frowned upon.

She had a blockage in her breast after about the ninth month, and we thought we had sorted it out.

soon after that she became pregnant with our second child, and 20 weeks into the pregnancy she was diagnosed with Matastic breast cancer (at 27!!)

The milk lump had gone bad, we retreated to the UK and had a quick birth (30 weeks), she started high power chemo, but died when Tommy (2nd child) was only 3 months old.

My boys are now 6 and 4, and I re-married (6 months ago)

Just bad luck I guess

Sad story. My deepest condolences.

Sorry to hear that, Subway.

Subway52,

You have my deepest condolences. However, I don’t think you can say that just because your ex-wife breast fed and then later got breast cancer that breast feeding causes breast cancer.

About 15 years ago, there was a famous American guy (I forgot his name) who was in his 70’s but still went jogging for hours every day, and then he died of a heart attack. Then some people started saying “Jogging causes heart attacks.
Just look what happened to (whatever his name was).”
[Moderator’s note: I think you may be speaking of James Fixx, author of the “Complete Book of Running”, who died at the age of 77.]

If a study was done comparing hundreds of women who breastfed with hundreds of women who never breastfed, and it turned out that much more women who breastfed got breast cancer compared to women who never breastfed, then I would believe that breastfeeding causes breast cancer. But you can’t make this kind of conculusion just based on what happened to a single person.

Maybe instead of giving him a lecture I’m sure he doesn’t need right now, you could re-read the last line of Subway’s post, Mark.

Her mother was exposed to heavy amounts of hormone based fertilizer during the cultural revoloution.

She was born in the early 70’s, the damage to her mother had been done,

I only found out after she had died that, her sister has died from lukiemia as a child (3).

3 of her friends from the same compound (Beijing Agriculture university) are already dead (Before 30)

It was not my intention to Blame breast feeding!!

Subway,

Heartfelt condolences on the loss of your wife and your boys’ mother. That must have been horrible for you. What a blessing to have two little ones, and also that Tommy survived!

I’m sure Mark didn’t mean to offend.

Cyber hugs,

Jennifer
http://mytaipeibaby.tripod.com

Richard, thanks for reminding me of the name of the famous runner. That’s right, his name was James Fixx. I just did a web search, and found out that he was actually only 52 years old when he died of a heart attack while jogging on a country road in Vermont in 1984.

Subway52, sorry for misunderstanding your post. I thought you were trying to imply that breastfeeding causes breast cancer, which I don’t agree with. But now I see your post about the hormone-based fertilizer, which is a more likely cause of her untimely death. Again, my condolences, and I didn’t mean to offend you.

Mark