Having had too many jobs

[quote]
Thanks. I’ll tell him that.

Actually, they’re not interested in the top performers. They study was conducted to estimate students who attend cram school but still under-perform.[/quote]

Well it doesn’t necessary have to be IQ but some measure of IQ or standardized test from first grade. If most of the students with scores in the top 10 percent already have superior aptitude then people can conclude, while not a 100 percent conclusive answer, that studying at a cram school is not likely to get you into one of the top universities in Taiwan.

Furthermore if research would find that to be true then maybe top students in Taiwan could be given more time to explore their own interest instead of spending countless hours at a cram school.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]
It is interesting to note that all these examples are self-made people. They did not become successful while working for somebody else (which is not how you become rich anyway). I am starting to lose faith in the employment system in Taiwan for you to work your way to the top. Of the wealthy people here in Taiwan, do you think they got that way by working at a job for somebody else, or by starting their own business? [/quote]

Dude, starting? You should have lost faith in the employment system a long time ago. There is no ‘top’ except for people related to the owners. People like em who work for a salary are essentially losers in Taiwan. We make less money, work far longer hours, and pay all the taxes. Like motherhood, employment is a terrible deal in Taiwan.

Taiwan may be about to experience a travel boom. Perhaps now is the time to buy the land for that funky guest house in your part of Taiwan?

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]
It is interesting to note that all these examples are self-made people. They did not become successful while working for somebody else (which is not how you become rich anyway). I am starting to lose faith in the employment system in Taiwan for you to work your way to the top. Of the wealthy people here in Taiwan, do you think they got that way by working at a job for somebody else, or by starting their own business? [/quote]

Dude, starting? You should have lost faith in the employment system a long time ago. There is no ‘top’ except for people related to the owners. People like em who work for a salary are essentially losers in Taiwan. We make less money, work far longer hours, and pay all the taxes. Like motherhood, employment is a terrible deal in Taiwan.

Taiwan may be about to experience a travel boom. Perhaps now is the time to buy the land for that funky guest house in your part of Taiwan?[/quote]
You’re right. Had I lost all faith in it by now, I might have moved on with my life. There is a ceiling teaching English here and it is very low. Perhaps I have bumped my head on it a few too many times.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“saddletramp”]Sorry, GIT, but I can’t agree with you. I have know too many people here who have gone on and make a success out of their life here. And I am just talking about a small backwater, I’m sure there are much more in other parts of Taiwan.

Sorry if I left out anyone, but I will give a few examples.

Shanghai Bob, passed away last year doing what he loved, catching that perfect wave. Bob was the first Aussie I ever met, and what a great ambassador he was. A perfect gentleman, a commercial artist and ad copywriter, came to Asia about 30 years ago, 15 years ago started his own surfing accessory company in Shanghai, also lived in Taidong half of the year to do what he loved most, surfing, and to test his new products. Now has a surf spot named after him, and if you ever come down to Taidong, be sure to check out Bob’s Reef.

John, American from the west coast, went to Uni in Hawaii, caught the surfing bug, and moved to Taiwan to teach and study Chinese. Been here 25 years, runs a successful night club, and acts as a booking agent for a lot of resorts and big hotels to promote bands from the Philippines.

Mike, A Canadian from BC. Came to Taiwan 25 years ago, Masters in Linguistics, started a successful buxiban and later sold out at a nice profit. Still teaches and is raising his three sons in Taidong.

Pete, American from Tennessee, been in Taidong at least 10 years, got his Masters while in Taiwan, now owns a pizza shop and picks the banjo as often as he can.

Paul, American from Michigan, came to Taidong about 10 years ago, also runs a buxiban, and is raising 3 kids. His motto, teaching is a means to SURF.

The list goes on and on. I have meet many more success stories here than failures.
Maybe find a better crowd to hang with.[/quote]
It is interesting to note that all these examples are self-made people. They did not become successful while working for somebody else (which is not how you become rich anyway). I am starting to lose faith in the employment system in Taiwan for you to work your way to the top. Of the wealthy people here in Taiwan, do you think they got that way by working at a job for somebody else, or by starting their own business?
I am a bit like GIT in some respects that I used to really believe in Teaching English in Taiwan when I first got here. There were many who even said I was a very good teacher and I know they were sincere, because it showed on my evaluations.
Alas events of late have made me doubt the ability of one to be successful here strictly by teaching English. It is a shame because teaching is a noble profession. In my opinion an English language teacher should earn enough to have a head of household type income. That is not the case at the moment.
So that leaves people with the option of striking out on their own (and by striking out I do not mean failing and I do not mean swinging the bat three times and missing). They have to start their own business and be the owner and the boss. With Taiwan’s declining birth rate, I do not think that means starting up a buxiban.
It may be that my skills need an upgrade or that I need to think about doing something else :neutral: .[/quote]

Well, it is the case, not just here in Taiwan. Back when I was still working for others, we had a saying, FUCK UP, Move up.
Incompetent people always seemed to make it to upper management. So, yes, I think if you can strike out on your own, go for it!! It is hard work, but worth it!!!

Why do so many incompetent people end up in upper management? I’ve noticed it often. Others have told me about it also.

Is that really difficult to understand?

Actually there are many factors but one has to be the fact that less competent people are less likely to bump heads with the people in charge. People who believe that they are right in the way they do things often face friction from implementing changes in an organization that other employees and management may not accept. It does not always happen this way but often old employees dig in against the changes and either an ambitious employee leaves or get fired.

If you want a perfect example lead about Than Shwe the leader of Burma. Often times if one is considered bright people with power don’t believe they can control you. Therefore I am guessing that many people are afraid to hire a manager brighter or more talented than they are.

When I was working in America somebody told me the reason incompetent people make it to the top is that the people who really care burn out before they can ever get there :grandpa: .