Having random people on the street salute you

About once every month or 2 a local will give me the military salute (walking past me on the sidewalk/on the MRT/at a supermarket etc).

Anyone else experience this?
Any idea why people do this?

Just one of those little things that I am curious about.

:salute:

@curiousteacher

6 Likes

have you tried shaving your mo’?

yes a few times

You’re not wearing your antifa uniform out on the street, are you?

1 Like

Older people have saluted me.

Perhaps they remember when the US military was in Taiwan. My wife’s father served with US soldiers when he was in the army. From the way he talks about them, it seems they were very well respected.

2 Likes

Are you wearing a flag themed shirt?

yup a few old men saluted me, I salute back which gives them much joy lol

2 Likes

Same thing happens to me. Maybe it’s the outfit?

2 Likes

me too

4 Likes

Interesting. So it seems we both get saluted when we dress casual.

Do you ever dress formal? When I have an important meeting and wear my formal work clothes, people tend to treat me like I’ve got corona, and some run in the other direction.

2 Likes

I experienced that once. After they found out that I’m German. Not military salute per se, but I guess you can imagine which one :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

No I cannot imagine, which one do you mean ? :wink:

1 Like

Surprised that a local knew that much about world history.

4 Likes

Are you wearing military uniforms or carrying yourself in a way that makes you look military?

This is highly unusual because in Taiwan soldiers are treated like pariahs. Even if my dad wore his military uniform including rank insignias and all the medal he has nobody would ever salute him unless he would get in trouble for not saluting.

2 Likes

The local kungpao cook always gives me a military salute when he sees me. He’s an older dude, a nice guy (and awesome cook), but a bit of a Taiwanese redneck if you get my drift (always chewing beetlenut and drinking beers in the morning/noon).

1 Like

:rofl:

Keep him close. He’s an asset to you when China attacks.

3 Likes

Word must have gotten around that you’re not just a regular foreigner but rather a buxiban teacher, and therefore deserve the utmost respect. I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often than every month or two.

5 Likes

underappreciated joke tbh

1 Like