Having your ARC kept while another is processed

I give up. The mods deleted two of my comments. Goodbye.

I was at Immigration in Taipei yesterday to renew my ARC as well. They didn’t take mine - maybe because I’m on a Permanent ARC? Indeed, I only happened to mention that I will be traveling outside of Taiwan next week, and then the Immigration person who was helping me made sure to stamp something on the claim receipt that I will present to pick up my new ARC 2 weeks from now. (Basically, I am scheduled to return to Taiwan on the day my current/old ARC expires, so I’ve been reminded/instructed to point out that I will collect my new ARC a few days from when I re-enter the country)

This isn’t the first time I’ve renewed my (P)ARC, and I was never asked to surrender it - only when I pick up the new one.[/quote]

This is OT, and just curious really. Why would a Permanent ARC expire?

My understanding was that if you have an APRC that you have to do a health check every year for the first few years? Although I may be completely wrong on that.

Once you have your APRC, you don’t need to do any more health checks.

If you change your address then you’ll get a new APRC. When I moved I had to change the address on my APRC (needed new address on APRC to change the address on my bank accounts, driver’s license, etc), and NIA kept the old one until the new one was issued 10 days later.

TO use the USA as an example. You first get a provisional 2 year green card. Under which you could lose your status . Then you apply for and once you receive your Permanent Green Card, you could still lose your status under certain conditions. And that green card is good for ten years, even though it is “permanent”. And every time you move you have to notify authorities of your new address within something like ten days.

While we’re on the subject, I’ve heard some debate as to whether one needs a work permit with an APRC. But I don’t think that’s so. Anyone?

No, you don’t need a work permit. As long as you don’t intend to work.

Staying at home, scrubbing the floors and cooking dinner IS work, but you don’t need a work permit for it.

That is a completely valid reason to “renew” your APRC. However, my question still stands: Why would a Permanent ARC expire?