HD DVD Player and HD DVD

So far I haven’t heard much about this coming to Taiwan anytime soon. I have heard that some players may be available from Bo Ai Road, bbut without the HD DVD it’s a bit of a waste.
Hear anything?
Also I am curious as to who is using HDMI video connection? any real difference?

HDMI will be compulsory on certain discs for high definition. Without it the resolution will be will reduced on discs that require it. But it’s not being used on most discs for a couple of years yet to let people get HDMI displays.

At the moment Blu-Ray is selling better. Only Universal Studios is not supporting it while many are not supporting HD-DVD. The James Bond films, for instance, will never be available on HD-DVD.

But with an HDMI compatible TV and Player, is the quality that much greater?
I haven’t seen yet, myself, a comparison of both.

[quote=“igorveni”]But with an HDMI compatible TV and Player, is the quality that much greater?
I haven’t seen yet, myself, a comparison of both.[/quote]A comparison of what ? Hi-def v standard def ? Hi-def wins obviously. Like VHS v DVD.
HDMI v analogue ? Digital, but the margin is probably smaller.

I would be more concerned with the compatibility I mentioned above, you will need HDMI for hi-def in the future.

HDMI is an interface, it’s never on the disc. Copy protection is provided by means of HDCP (over HDMI). Most new equipment has HDMI connections and virtually all of them support HDCP, which is a kind of important (see table below).

Note: If your TV does not have HDMI-HDCP the screen may actually stay black if your DVD player outputs HDMI-HDCP.
The two will attempt a “handshake” and if there is no response from the display it’s a no-go.

DVD has … TV has - result
no HDCP … no HDCP - ok
no HDCP … HDCP - ok
HDCP … HDCP - ok
HDCP … no HDCP - nok

Without HDMI the player will output the picture via the other connections, e.g. YUV/Component, S-Video etc. - albeit in a lower resolution.
But investing in a HD (or Blu-Ray) player makes only sense if you have a TV that’s either HD-Ready or Full-HD. And big is better, too. :smiley: