HDTV choices

Question: is dynamic ratio a deal breaker? If I have a choice of 3 TV, one with a 20,000 to 1 ratio, one with 2,000,000 to one and a last one with 4,000,000 to one, which is the best choice for Taiwan TV?

What info I found has me puzzled:

In other words… tiabo.

Ignore the dynamic contrast ratio specifications, as it is mostly bullshit indeed. Focus on the normal contrast ratio specs to make a comparison.

Which ones are those, for example, here, is the highlighted part the true contrast ratio?:

[quote]商品功能:

◎ FHD (1920 x 1080)高解析影像
◎ IPSα FHD Panel (IPSα頂級硬式面板)搭載
◎ 廣視野角,側面觀看顏色不失真
◎[color=#FF0040] 新純黑面板對比技術4000000:1 [/color]◎ HDTV高畫質數位信號對應 (480p/720p/1080i/1080p)
◎ 24p 真實電影還原技術
◎ VIERA Link 機能連結/HDMI ARC對應
◎ 影像AI/雜訊抑制功能
◎ 愛眼功能對應
◎ VIERA IMAGE VIEWER (SD卡讀卡)
◎ 音量出力10W*2
◎ 低耗電設計
◎ 定時關機功能(10~120Min)
◎ MTS / STEREO對應
◎ 面板使用長壽命6萬小時
◎ PC機能對應(VGA/SVGA/XGA)
◎Skype.Wifi

[/quote]

Nope, this number is the dynamic contrast ratio. The normal one is not even stated here, so I wouldn’t consider a model whose true specs are not disclosed. Static contrast ratio number are usually below 10000:1.

If you really wanna go deeper in those technical specs, I recommend to read this:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html

Very comprehensive :bow:

[quote=“Kawa”]Nope, this number is the dynamic contrast ratio. The normal one is not even stated here, so I wouldn’t consider a model whose true specs are not disclosed. Static contrast ratio number are usually below 10000:1.

If you really wanna go deeper in those technical specs, I recommend to read this:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html

Very comprehensive :bow:[/quote]

Thank you… :astonished:

I am nearly going bananas here. I was sure of a specif model and make, but to my surprise, for instance, in Costco and on the Internet, the same model they say it has 120hz capacity, while today glimpsing through the Panasonic catalogue, the specs say 60hz. Who to believe? :frowning:

Its best to look at the sets in the shop so you can compare the display quality directly. From what I recall plasma has good display quality but eats electricity and expensive. The best displays are the Korean oled displays but cost $$$. Now 15k should easily get you a decent LED/LCD TV, so don’t fret too much. They should all have various internet connectivity along with HDMI ports.

To be brutally honest, at the shops, most of them, the image looks awful. Even Costco where they have signs saying they use HD broadcasting, bla bla bla. Choosing by image, I’d go for a Samsung or LG, sincerely. I really wanted to stick with Panasonic for the ease in use with the rest of my Panasonic stuff -DVR- but if I find the model I want then it is not available -ran out- or like that, specs that are not complete/incorrect. Current winner is a Sony bit over 30K, manuals in English, etc. but I didn’t want to spend that much. As prices go, it is ridiculous: you have 10K TVs at 120hz, and 40K TVs with 60hz. :s Yes, most average 15/*17/22K average, but prices do not seem to reflect much. Plasma starts at 40/50K.

Now let me find a suitable frame to hang it from the wall.

From what I’ve read online, the only thing people can really notice about the display quality on the retail floor is brightness (i.e. brighter is better) and it’s trivially easy for the store to set the brightness for a fancy 80k Sony set higher than for a 25k Vizio/Heran set.

When I bought my HDTV set a couple of years ago, I also went nuts comparing all the different specs. I ended up getting a 37" Vizio that was 15-20k cheaper than the Panasonics’ or Sony’s of the same size. But once I bought it, I never thought about contrast ratios or refresh rates again. The set that I bought probably doesn’t have the greatest dynamic contrast ratio or whatever, but I probably literally couldn’t see the difference with my source material (MOD, downloaded mkv files watched with the lights on.) To be honest, if you watch a lot of movies, a better use for that extra 10-15k between these different sets would be to get separate speakers.

If you want to go up the price scale I’d say Samsungs give the best picture, but LGs are great bang for your buck. Have a 3 year old LCD model that still holds up pretty good, and just picked up a 37’ LED 60HZ model for a small room at 3c for about 21000. LGs have really nice pictures which can be manipulated well through options, and if you stick to models without internet crap and picture processing bells and whistles you’re gonna get a good TV at a good price.

Typically I note down models that look good in store, then check amazon for reviews.

I saw some plasmas at costco before but to me the picture seemed not on par with the LEDs there. Probably a good idea to ask for a remote to play with the settings in store if you have any doubts, some TVs have poor default settings out of the box and as mentioned, salespeople can manipulate the picture to draw you to a certain brand/set.

Here’s the set I just picked up…there’s a 42’ model as well but I don’t remember seeing it where I looked. Picture is great, sound is average (it’s thin), and it also has a great usb player on it that plays MKV files and can be easily used with the remote. Overall I’m very happy with it:

amazon.com/LG-37LV3500-37-In … B004OOVIDQ

I really, really do not want to go up the price scale, 25K was my tops. I think that is the limit I’d pay for any piece of electroinic, being camera or computer or whatever. In my case, with 4 cats, I’d take into account that it will be in peril 24/7, so, better not go too happy.

Alidabarc, I will also use this TV with MOD. Yeah, speakers would be nice. Is your Vizio 60 or 120hz?

Mups, the problem I have is that many models I see here, well, all Panasonic for instance, are only sold in Taiwan, so all reviews" are also limited. Data is also spotty, as said before.

I also noticed the plasmas at Costco were not really plasma, at least not the Panasonic -they have a different model number.

I did not want to go with a 42’ TV initially, but the difference is minimal in terms of $$$, and my old CRT is 37. I like to see my movies/TV series well. :sunglasses:

Often the model numbers are changed for this area of the world, but if you write down the exact model number and google it, you can usually find reviews. If search results are limited go through sites like amazon and best buy, filter out the screen size and make etc, and you should be able to find the model you saw in the store but with a slightly different ID. These sites all give you the specs on the TV as well, so if you make a note of those you should be able to find a match and reviews for it.

So the MOD guy was in the other day to do some kind of an upgrade. He couldn’t stop laughing at my TV. Said he couldn’t remember the last time he saw one as old or as small. So it got me thinking about an upgrade. I’m glad to hear so much good talk about Vizio because that’s what I’d been eying(it being the cheapest). My 10 year old JVC 20" box may be retired to the 2nd floor. Can you expect to get as much milage out of these new flat screens?

Probably. Interestingly some of the old TVs have much better picture quality, better sound and use less electricity, it’s just they take up more space and are , well, old and not easy to connect to the Internet. You can pick them up really cheap from dealers now.

can’t be worse than mine. 21 inches Kolin, second hand bought 11 years ago… and yes, I’ve been told you can’t expect a long life from these flat screens. my colleague got herself a plasma 5 years ago… been broken twice, and we are talking about a 100k set here.

Probably. Interestingly some of the old TVs have much better picture quality, better sound and use less electricity, it’s just they take up more space and are , well, old and not easy to connect to the Internet. You can pick them up really cheap from dealers now.[/quote]

Plus the CRT can be left on all day long if you want to. The LCDs have a certain determined hours of life, and will fail/break down if left on for hours on end.

I usually leave the TV on for the pets while I’m at work.

So the guys from Costco call again, they do not carry the Panasonic I signed up for anymore, and now offer me an LG model -cheaper!- same size, but only 60hz. Is that a deal breaker? Or is lower speed better since it will be connected to MOD/local cable?

I just need something that handles dark shows/movies well.

Then your specs choice priority should be:

1. Contrast ratio (the static one, not the dynamic one) (higher is better)
  2. Brightness (not important if you always watch TV in the dark) (higher is better, although it’s kind of a trade-off with contrast ratio)
    3)Try to get: 120Hz, 10bit color, 24p process (to avoid weird image lag, especially on Taiwanese TV)
  3. Size :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, I am aiming for at least 120hz. I saw a Panasonic TV yesterday advertising itself as 600hz, though. :smiley:

The real dinamic ratio is a mystery to me, it is very difficult to have a true disclosure.

Size I increased from 32 to 37, maybe 42.

can’t be worse than mine. 21 inches Kolin, second hand bought 11 years ago… and yes, I’ve been told you can’t expect a long life from these flat screens. my colleague got herself a plasma 5 years ago… been broken twice, and we are talking about a 100k set here.[/quote]

I have a 29 inch Sony Trinitron multisystem CRT in my office. One of the best pictures going around still for non HD channels. Looks great even with MOD HD channels on it.