Head to Head, The Music Never Stopped being argumentative Thread

I like Neil…acoustic, but when he picks up an electric axe, I wanna pour hot lead into my ears.

Oh, come on. This one is brilliant.

2 Likes

Seems like a studio version. lol

This one too:

2 Likes

So picky. OK, J Mascis does a live version that should meet your approval…

And this one:

He can go too far live in masturbatory sounds and solos, but nothing like the Dead would do to induce sleep.

lol

hence the thread title change…

I’ve heard Neil play live…everything devolves into some screeching shit that makes me look around and watch the drunk guys rock out. Neil shouldn’t shred. End of.

Sounds like a good name for a tribute band. :sunglasses:

I somewhat agree that he can really go overboard live, but the criticism seems really odd from someone who likes the Grateful Dead. I know they are seen as at their best live, but I just can’t stand them live in about 80% of what I’ve heard. There are live versions I love, but the Dead’s inconsistency makes Neil Young look like Rush.

1 Like

I am loving all the shots taken at the Dead. They weren’t for everyone, just everyone who wanted to get away from whatever they were doing for a few hours.

The Dead though went way out sometimes in a more jammy song…Playing in the Band for example…some Dark Stars…would just fall apart when they couldn’t keep up with where they were going. Pretty cringe worthy.

When they came together, though, they were awesome to behold.

2 Likes

You all playing those Mind Games.

1 Like

The inconsistencies made it more funner.

This show 12/29/88 for example. Second set started out strong, nice PITB>Crazy Fingers> Samson and Delilah, which starts with a drum intro, then Jerry screeches in, then Bob sings…well. Not this time. He flubbed the words and the crowd went nurts. They came around again, and he did it right and we screamed in approval. Ha. Great fun show. I guess the difference is that we…well, I for certain, went to have a good time, not to see a perfect show a la John Prine.

Where and when did you see them?

I was on the bus from 88 to 94.

Several shows I attended were released. The mst famous of which were
where I was thrid row Phil side.

and

Where I was in the second row for the first night, and they did a Mind Has Left Your Body jam after Terrapin…which was a real blast from the past.

1 Like

I hear that a lot about the Dead and other bands. Your criticism of Young just seems odd to me in light of your love of the Dead. Young could be annoying or boring on electric, just as he could be vital and captivating. I found him to be more often the latter than the Dead.

OK. You’re allowed. lol

I was into the band, the songs, the setlists, the speculation, the revival songs and the gems, as well as the social aspect of going on tour, driving everywhere, breaking down, cops, whippets, and veggie burgers. I can recall live shows I attended note for note. If something does something like that to a person, best not to let it get away from ya. :wink:

Mid to late 80s, Greek Theater, Berkeley. If you can remember with that level of precision, you obviously weren’t doing it right. :wink:

Oh, now it makes sense.

But really, I understand what you mean. When you invest that much into the band, it becomes hard to separate the experience from the music. As is not hard to guess about me, I love Rush. I would follow them on tour, analyze setlists, and, because they tried to produce the studio sound as much as possible in concert, obsess about every detail they changed.

I recall one show where Gloria was done, and listed as “Brent’s Gloria.” lol It was awful, but they did a Why don’t we do it in the road? there as well. TELL me you caught that act!

The one show I do not recall I recall for other reasons… happened to be my 2cd…I learned fast when too much of everything was simply too much. :slight_smile:

Really though. The number of cover versions alone, not to mention the number of musicians who claim to be inspired by The Beatles and who also claim that The Beatles were their first exposure to that kind of music.

It’s so obvious I don’t know why we’re explaining it.

1 Like