Head up my arse, or real gripes?

Bad day, grumpy, so quibbling about little things. Please feel free to tell me to chill out, but also give me your considered opinion on this:

Do people involved in the teaching industry here adopt inappropriate language that is used by their colleagues, students, or teaching material and make it ‘right’ because it’s accepted everywhere? Or doesn’t it matter? I’m thinking specifically of terminology, but there must be others.

The obvious one is the difference between ESL and EFL. I make a distinction and get irritated by people who don’t.

Another is ‘cram school’. Cramming is spending your summer stuffing your head full of something you were supposed to have learned already, in order to pass an exam. It’s not the same of taking extra classes for years - including piano lessons, etc. - because your regular school doesn’t teach you what your parents want you to learn. What is the proper translation for buxiban? ‘evening school’?

Another one I noticed recently is ‘body language’ when you mean ‘gesture’ or ‘sign language’. One is unconsciously communicating your emotional state, the other is using a sign instead of a spoken word to intentionally communicate a concept.

Or not? Does anyone care?

[quote=“tmwc”] Another one I noticed recently is ‘body language’ when you mean ‘gesture’ or ‘sign language’. One is unconsciously communicating your emotional state, the other is using a sign instead of a spoken word to intentionally communicate a concept.

Or not? Does anyone care?[/quote]

I care enough to know the difference in Chinese. Gesture is shou3shi4 (pronounced show shr) and body language is zhi1ti3 yu3yan2 (pronounced jr tea ew yen). Hope that helps.

That’s why I call “cram schools” buxibans, because there really isn’t a good translation into English for them as they don’t really exist in the US (UK, not sure.)

Basically you should just chill out. If you get aggrivated over a little tiny semantic like this, you will be going insane by the million other little things that will begin to pile up. Just relax, and as long as everyone knows what they are talking about, it’s ok.

Cram schools are more common in non-English speaking countries, especially in Asian countries.Since it’s an Asian stuff,no need to get grumpy about it.Chill out!Relax~
What you want is to show things in an appropriate and accurate way in English,call the cram school “buxiban”,“evening school”,“tutorial school”,“test preparation center”…whatever can convince people the courses they attend there.

Chill out.

Better today, thanks.

How about “project”, when they mean “disaster on the brink of happening”?

[quote=“tmwc”]The obvious one is the difference between ESL and EFL. I make a distinction and get irritated by people who don’t.

Another is ‘cram school’. Cramming is spending your summer stuffing your head full of something you were supposed to have learned already, in order to pass an exam. It’s not the same of taking extra classes for years - including piano lessons, etc. - because your regular school doesn’t teach you what your parents want you to learn. What is the proper translation for buxiban? ‘evening school’?[/quote]I used to fret about the ESL/EFL distinction. But I think that this distinction is being eroded worldwide, not just here.

As for the other thing, I think “supplementary English school” is a fairly descriptive term.

what i’ve found is that no matter how logical your teaching method may be they don’t want that. they want the way they’ve always learned by, which hasn’t worked, obviously, but they still want that method.
i think english learning is a mnemonic here, a self repeating idea. a soccer mom activity that is never supposed to bring results. a thing they can never conquer but can bitch about about in a social situation.
don’t care too much. earn and run. that’s what this whole society is doing.
YOU CANNOT SAVE TAIWAN, SO DON’T TRY!!

Buxiban , Cram school = Day care center. Usually they don’t want teachers who actually care about what they are doing.

the less you care, the more they like you-- just as long as you’re not lazy and tow the line, you’re fine.

unfortunately.

[quote=“tmwc”]Bad day, grumpy, so quibbling about little things. Please feel free to tell me to chill out, but also give me your considered opinion on this:

Do people involved in the teaching industry here adopt inappropriate language that is used by their colleagues, students, or teaching material and make it ‘right’ because it’s accepted everywhere? Or doesn’t it matter? I’m thinking specifically of terminology, but there must be others.

The obvious one is the difference between ESL and EFL. I make a distinction and get irritated by people who don’t.

Another is ‘cram school’. Cramming is spending your summer stuffing your head full of something you were supposed to have learned already, in order to pass an exam. It’s not the same of taking extra classes for years - including piano lessons, etc. - because your regular school doesn’t teach you what your parents want you to learn. What is the proper translation for buxiban? ‘evening school’?

Another one I noticed recently is ‘body language’ when you mean ‘gesture’ or ‘sign language’. One is unconsciously communicating your emotional state, the other is using a sign instead of a spoken word to intentionally communicate a concept.

Or not? Does anyone care?[/quote]

You are unhappy. These are not issues with which you should concern yourself. Go to a bar. Meet a woman. Try to start a relationship with her. Tell us about that.

Maybe that’s why I was having a bad day?