Heads in the Sand

So what does an ostrich do when it’s buried its head in the sand. It’s a small brain I know but it must be thinking something. My guess is it’s ruminating on its courage and is probably playing with a few ideas and justifications for accepting sand in the eye vie bravery. And then I’m thinking of what passes for urbane insight in Australia. It’s sophisticated I guess in the complex is sophisticated sense but not in the ‘I’m too bright’ sense. What happened in Australia 90 years ago or more? Where did they go? There was fear then when we knew they were out there beyond the tree-line waiting. They were there, right? We all know that. Scares the girls at night. The quiet, then the wind in the gums. Dogs and dingoes howling. Rain pounding on the tin roof; leaking in the kitchen. They’re just waiting to stab us in our beds at night. Scary shit. I get that and I can kind of understand if not fully comprehend what it means to be that person, but I don’t get not getting that the painful stinging sensation of gritty sand in my eyes might be the result of not facing up to that death pact in a modern world. I mean how hard is that to understand anyway.

Nah, Mr Fox. Ostriches are just plain thick. Much like William Burroughs.

[quote=“Fox”]So what does an ostrich do when it’s buried its head in the sand.[/quote]According to legends, ostriches have a tendency to bury their heads in the sand as a way to avoid danger, but there is no scientific evidence to show that this is true. Some believe that the rumor that ostriches bury their heads in the sand comes from the fact that ostriches ingest sand and pebbles, which help them swallow their food; people may have noticed them picking up pebbles in their mouths and believed that the ostriches were burying their heads instead.

Another possible source of the rumor that ostriches bury their heads in the sand could be the scientific fact that, when threatened, the ostrich will fall forward in the sand and lay its head to the ground, so that its body will resemble a bush to passing predators. This action is especially common when the ostrich is attempting to protect its eggs. Because the head and neck are the same color as the sand, to an observer, it may look as though the ostriches bury their heads in the sand.

Today, people are often said to bury their heads in the sand when they refuse to confront or deal with a problem, and choose to deny it. The saying comes from the belief that ostriches bury their heads in the sand, which was first recorded by Roman writer Pliny the Elder. Now that we know ostriches do not actually bury their heads in the sand, perhaps the phrase should be corrected. Ostriches are not as stupid as people seem to think.

His brain was probably pretty numb. Comfortably, in a non conformist way.

That is probably true about ostriches but I’m referring to the adage.