Health care access for tourists?

I’ a EU citizen who lives here as a visa-exempt tourist. Let’s say I feel a bit under the weather, with some vague flu-like sypmtoms. Back home, I’d go and see a GP. He would ask me some questions, I’d answer and he most likely would tell me to do basic blood tests. I’d do that and come back for a follow up.

How would a similar scenario play out over here? Can I go to a hospital/GP practice and ask for an appointment? Roughly, how much would it cost (appointment+basic tests+ follow up)?

I do not speak Mandarin and have no insurance of any sort.

At most doctors offices, I think it would cost about 500~1000NTD to see a doctor for basic things without a NHI. In taipei, most of them speak English at least at a passable level. If you translate what you want to tell them in Chinese by Google translator, it will help.

If you go to an international department of a big hospital, they speak good English, but cost more.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s interesting to hear they may charge different prices depending where you go. I’d imagine it was some standardized rate in “official” health places.

But then I don’t really know how their system works in general. Is it not separate tax-funded government ones and private practices? Maybe the prices for foreigners would also be different in the West.

About 10 years ago, before I moved here, I was on a business trip and came down with the worst illness I’ve ever had. The hotel I was staying at took me to the nearest hospital and I had bloodwork done, a chest xray, a throat swab, and probably a couple other tests I’m forgeting about. I walked out a couple hours later for well under 2000 NTD (including medicine). I doubt it’s any different now…I would just go to any hospital, no need to go to any special international department in my opinion.

1 Like

Doctor, dentist normally flat rate 1,000 NT$ for a simple visit if you don’t have a health insurance card. Blood work, depends, x-rays who knows maybe a few thousands, MRI 6,500 NT$ + 2,000 NT$ for the consult without health insurance cover.

1 Like

For something simple, just walk into to one of the local clinics located every other block or so. There’s squeezed in between food stalls and shoe stores and everything else. Cheap.

2 Likes

Prob in and out for around 500nt for a simple cold.

1 Like