Health tips vs the coronavirus from Group Chats and other sources

Got this in a LiNE group chat. Sounds useful. Pls don’t post discussion here - just share tips

勞里·加勒特(Laurie Garrett)是美國著名女記者,是獲得皮博迪獎(The Peabody Award)、喬治 · 伯克獎(George Polk Award)和普利茲獎(Pulitzer Award)三大著名新聞獎的第一人。現為美國對外關係委員會全球衛生高級研究員。

她曾對艾博拉、SARS 等大型傳染病和公共健康危機都做過實地考察與深度研究,出版了《失信:全球公共衛生事業之癱瘓》《流行天下!傳染病的世界》《逼近的瘟疫》等多部關於傳染病與公共衛生的著作。

對於這一次的2019-nCoV病毒帶來的恐慌,她撰文講述了自己面對傳染病的經驗與知識,以及10個在疫情期間保護自己的預防措施,大家應該看一看。

========================

01. Wear gloves

When you leave your home, wear gloves—winter mittens or outdoor gloves—and keep them on in subways, buses, and public spaces.
出門離家時,戴上手套——冬天的手套或是戶外手套都可以——任何公共場合包括地鐵,公車或公共場所都不要脫下來。

02. Avoid touching your face

If you are in a social situation where you should remove your gloves, perhaps to shake hands or dine, do not touch your face or eyes, no matter how much something itches. Keep your hands away from contact with your face. And before you put your gloves back on, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water, scrubbing the fingers. Put your gloves on.
在某些需要脫下手套的社交場合,比如握手和吃飯時,不要用手接觸你的臉或眼睛,不管有多癢都不要讓你的手接觸你的臉。在戴回手套前,用溫水和肥皂仔細洗手,好好搓洗手指,再戴上手套。

03. Change or clean gloves daily

Change gloves daily, washing them thoroughly, and avoid wearing damp gloves.
每天更換手套,仔細清洗。不要戴潮濕的手套。

04. Disposable masks may not help

Masks are useless when worn outdoors and may not be very helpful even indoors. Most masks deteriorate after one or two wearings. Using the same mask day after day is worse than useless—it’s disgusting, as the contents of your mouth and nose eventually coat the inside of the mask with a smelly veneer that is attractive to bacteria. I rarely wear a face mask in an epidemic, and I have been in more than 30 outbreaks.
口罩在戶外佩戴時毫無用處,即使在室內用處也不大。大多口罩在被使用一兩次後就被污染了,重覆使用同一口罩比不戴口罩更糟糕。因為從你嘴和鼻子的呼出的物質最終會在口罩內部形成一層十分滋養細菌的,發臭的膜。在傳染病流行期間我很少戴口罩,我曾經經歷過這種狀況超過30次。

Instead, I stay away from crowds, and I keep my distance from individual people—a half meter, about 1.5 feet, is a good standard. If someone is coughing or sneezing, I ask them to put on a mask—to protect me from their potentially contaminated fluids. If they decline, I step a meter (about 3 feet) away from them, or I leave. Don’t shake hands or hug people—politely beg off, saying it’s better for both of you not to come in close contact during an epidemic.
相反,我會遠離人群,並且與個人保持距離——差不多半公尺左右是比較好的標準。要是有人咳嗽或是打噴嚏,我會請他們戴上口罩,來保護我免受潛在的有污染的液體傷害。如果他們拒絕,我會走到一公尺外的距離,或者乾脆離開。不要與人握手或擁抱,告訴對方在傳染病流行期間不要靠太近,這對彼此都好。

05. Use clean towels at home

Inside your household, remove all of the towels from your bathrooms and kitchen immediately, and replace them with clean towels that have the names of each family member on them. Instruct everybody in your home to only use their own towels and never touch another family member’s. Wash all towels twice a week. Damp towels provide terrific homes for viruses, like common colds, flus, and, yes, coronaviruses.
在家裡要馬上給浴室和廚房都換上乾淨的毛巾,讓家裡每個人都用自己的專屬毛巾,不去觸碰別人的。每週洗兩次毛巾。濕毛巾會為病毒滋生提供溫床,例如普通感冒,流感,以及冠狀病毒。

06. Beware doorknobs

Be careful with doorknobs. If it’s possible to open and close doors using your elbows or shoulders, do so. Wear gloves to turn a doorknob—or wash your hands after touching it. If anybody in your home takes sick, wash your doorknobs regularly. Similarly, be cautious with stairway banisters, desktops, cell phones, toys, laptops—any objects that are hand-held.
小心門把手,最好用肘部或肩膀去開關門。戴手套去擰門把手,或者在觸摸了門把手後去洗手。如果家裡有病人,定期清潔門把手。同樣,對待樓梯扶手,桌面,手機,玩具,筆記本電腦等任何手持物體都要小心謹慎。

As long as you handle only your own personal objects, you will be ok—but if you need to pick up someone else’s cell phone or cooking tools or use someone else’s computer keyboard, be mindful of not touching your face and wash your hands immediately after touching the object.
只要你只接觸自己的私人物品,就沒什麼問題。但是,如果你需要使用別人的手機,廚具或電腦鍵盤,請注意不要觸摸臉部,並在觸摸物體後立即去洗手。

07. Use serving spoons at meals

If you share meals, do not use your personal chopsticks and utensils to remove food from a serving bowl or plate and, of course, tell your children to never drink out of anybody else’s cups or from a container of shared fluid. Place serving spoons in each dish and instruct everybody at the table to scoop what they want from the serving dishes onto their personal plates or bowls, return the serving spoon to the main dish, and then use their personal chopsticks only to pick food from their personal plate or bowl into their mouth.
吃飯時,不要用你自己的筷子和餐具去公碗和盤子裡夾菜。也要告訴你的孩子不要喝別人杯子或者容器里的水。在席上讓每個人使用公勺將盤子里的菜夾到自己的盤子或者碗里,然後將公勺放回公盤,然後用自己的筷子將自己盤子或者碗里的食物送進嘴裡。

Wash all food and kitchenware thoroughly between meals and avoid restaurants that have poor hygiene practices.
飯前仔細清洗食物,飯後仔細清洗餐具,不要去衛生條件不好的餐館用餐。

08. Avoid meat

Absolutely do not buy, slaughter, or consume any live animal or fish until it is known what species was the source of the virus.
在病毒傳播源被發現之前,絕對不要購買,屠宰,或是食用任何生鮮動物和魚類。

09. Air out your home and workplace

When the weather allows, open your windows at home or work, letting your space air out. The virus cannot linger in a well-ventilated space. But of course, if it is cold or the weather is inclement, keep warm and close those windows.
天氣條件允許的情況下,打開家裡或辦公室的窗戶,讓室內空氣流通,病毒無法在通風條件良好的空間裡停留。當然,如果天氣嚴寒,就關窗保暖。

10. Use a mask when caring for sick people

Finally, if you are caring for a friend or family member who is running a fever, always wear a tight-fitting mask when you are near them, and place one on the ailing person (unless they are nauseated).
最後,如果你在照顧得病的朋友或家人,在靠近他們時,一定要時刻佩戴與面部緊貼的口罩,並給他們也戴上(除非他們感到噁心)。

When you replace an old, dirty mask from the face of your friend or loved one be very, very careful—assume, for the sake of your protection, that it is covered in viruses, and handle it while wearing latex gloves, place it inside of a disposable container, seal it, and then put it in the trash. While wearing those latex gloves, gently wash the patient’s face with warm soap and water, using a disposable paper towel or cotton swab, and seal it after use in a container or plastic bag before placing it in your household trash.
當你幫忙從朋友或親人的臉上摘除使用過的臟口罩時,請務必要非常小心——為了保護自己,你必須假設該口罩已被病毒覆蓋,戴上乳膠手套去進行處理,將其放進可丟棄的包裝袋內,密封好,然後再丟進垃圾桶。戴上乳膠手套為患者用紙巾和棉球輕輕地用肥皂和溫水清洗患者的面部,並在使用後將其密封好裝入包裝袋或塑料袋中,然後再丟進家裡的垃圾箱。

Wear long-sleeved shirts and clothing that covers your body when you are caring for your ailing friend or relative. Clean everything your patient wears or touches very thoroughly in hot soapy water, including sheets, towels, and utensils.
在照顧生病的朋友或家人時,要穿上能包裹全身的長袖衣物。用熱肥皂水徹底清洗患者所穿過的衣物和接觸的所有物品,包括床單,毛巾和器皿。

If you have space, isolate the sick person in your household in a room, or a corner of a room, where they are comfortable, but separated from the rest of the household. If the weather is tolerable, open a window that is on the opposite side of the room, so that air gently blows past the patient’s face and then outdoors. Of course, don’t do this if it is very cold, as your friend or loved one will be made sicker if uncomfortably cold.
如果你家裡有足夠的空間,為病人隔離出一個房間或房間的一角,讓他們感到舒適的同時又與家庭中的其他人分開。如果天氣適宜,打開房間另一側的窗戶,這樣空氣能輕輕吹過患者的面部後,流動吹到室外。當然,如果天氣很冷就不要這樣做,因為你的朋友和家人可能會因寒冷而病情加重。

The Chinese government will take very drastic actions over the next few weeks, and this will be a time of hardship for the Chinese people. But with these simple precautions, if taken by everybody in your household, building, office, and school, you will dramatically reduce the spread of the virus and bring the outbreak to its knees. Be safe. Do not panic.
中國政府將在接下來的幾週內採取更嚴厲的措施,這對中國人民來說將是一個艱難的時期。但是,有了這些簡單的預防措施,只要大家在家裡,建築物裡,辦公室和學校裡都採取這些簡單的預防措施。就能大大減少該病毒的傳播風險,並遏制疫情爆發。

Take commonsense precautions. As frightening as this time is, you will get through it.
注意安全。不要驚慌。採取一些常識性的預防措施。眼下的狀況雖然可怕,但你一定會渡過難關。

(Edited to add titles)

1 Like

Drink a lot of high proof spirits. Cask-strength whisky and Kaoliang will do the trick. Good for disinfection and you’ll have a good time too!

1 Like

Hide in the wardrobe with a 1978 Penthouse mag and don’t come out for three months.

Bang!

1 Like

More from LINE

Eat a lot of garlic and ginger, it strengthens your immune system.

1 Like

1 Like

I’m going to have to argue this one. I’ve seen this graphic about masks all over the place and it is wrong.

There is no way an ordinary surgical mask filters the same amount of particles as an N95. No way.

It is misleading. The surgical mask can filter 95% of larger fluid droplets, NOT fine airborne particles.

Also, who made that infographic? There is no agency logo on it.

1 Like

This is useful albeit 2 days old

1 Like

From BioCentury’s Group Chat on WeChat

Clinical trials for coronavirus have begun. First up: approved antivirals and steroids:

Clinical trials for coronavirus have begun. First up: approved antivirals and steroids

By Elizabeth S. Eaton, Staff Writer and Winnie Pong, Associate Editor, Data & Analytics | Feb 4, 2020 | 9:34 AM PST

Nine clinical trials are under way to test therapeutic interventions for 2019-nCoV acute

BioCentury’s Editor in Chief C. Simone Fishburn welcomes everyone to follow [their] ongoing 2019-nCoV coverage for free as [they] analyze the impact of the virus.

在《冠状病毒爆发:来自编辑的信》中,BioCentury的主编C. Simone Fishburn欢迎大家免费阅读我们正在进行的分析2019-nCoV影响的报道。

I will follow rooftopclowns recommendation.

From my favorite doctor´s website:

Strengthen your immune system by reducing sugar, sleeping more, exercising, meditating and remaining calm.

3 Likes

Reducing other inflammatory foods like refined carbs, unhealthy fats, processed meat, and fried foods is also a good move.

1 Like

Indeed. Processed foods in general, which aside from chemicals, also carry loads of sugar, are a no no.

The idea is to reduce stress. There is a joke going around the Internet that the doctors said masks could help, so everyone bought masks. Then they said Chinese medicine helped, so they went and bought as much as they could. Now doctors said exercise helps… but no one seems to be listening!

10 Likes

I am a very health-conscious person with good hygiene, a good diet, and good exercise habits, but I have problems with anxiety that seem to greatly undermine my immune system. Either mental health is more than half the battle or I’m just super fucked up somehow.

3 Likes

From LINE

Some confusion about whether foreigners (residents or visitors) can buy masks under the BNHI scheme

https://chinapost.nownews.com/20200205-948336

I just saw an ad on TVBS where a woman is in a typical taiwanese ugly bathroom teaching in detail how to wash hands, she even used 5 specific Chinese words for each 動作 and specifically demonstrates each in detail.

It is funny to see that this is aimed for a whole population of adults! They didn’t didnt know to wash their own hands until now? I understand the need to be very throughout teaching kids, but for grown up folks? Makes me think how deep in c*** are the folks in Taiwan.

There’s an optimal way to do it, that’s all they’re teaching. It’s particularly important now. Nothing surprising about it.

1 Like

Don’t eat Civet cats, Pangolins, bats or people already infected with corona virus.