Healthy/Quality Food Resource Compendium

I guess in part it depends on what you mean by “greens”. There are tons of greens for stir-frying, and that’s fine. But often I’d also like lighter greens for salads, or heavier for soups and stews (kale, collard greens, etc.) Those at either end of the spectrum are harder to find. I think the Chinese New Year “long-life vegetable”, whatever that’s called, is the only “hearty green” that regularly shows up here. I presume it’s possible to cook that in a way that’s enjoyable, but I haven’t found that way yet.

Someone here posted that there’s a market in Tianmu that sells other kinds of greens, but the one time I managed to get there, the place had shut down for the day.

Broccoli is almost always available, isn’t it? I sure go through a lot of the stuff. Spinach often disappears in summer.

Haas avocados come and go. I used to think they were seasonal, but now it seems too random for that. Ditto the Ausgreen milk; that is the kind of milk I try to buy now, since I basically no longer trust Taiwanese produced milk at all, although I’m not sure why I should trust a supposed import.

I’ve seen frozen spinach at the import stores in Tianmu.

On sweet potatoes: what’s the difference between the yellow ones here, and Japanese purple ones? Or for that matter between yellow (often labelled 紅, red, if I remember correctly) and paler ones? I’ve been confused in the past about sweet potatoes, because I gather it’s a rather useless taxonomic term that can refer to a wide variety of roots, with varied nutrient profiles.

Earlier threads on similar topics: