Healthy Toe Nails

Are your toe nails healthy? When was the last time you wondered about that? I bet you’re taking your toe nails for granted. Well… DON’T!

Or you might get this:

That’s mine! :astonished:

Pretty damn disgusting, ain’t it? Well, that could be YOU if you’re not CAREFUL!

It’s some kind of fungus and I picked it up probably because I walk around barefoot in the gym shower room, at the pool, in my own bathroom…

It’s difficult to get rid of, so, you know… Don’t get it in the first place!

[quote=“tash”]Happy Toe Nails Day! :slight_smile:

Are your toe nails healthy? When was the last time you wondered about that? I bet you’re taking your toe nails for granted. Well… DON’T!

Or you might get this:

Pretty damn disgusting, ain’t it? Well, that could be YOU if you’re not CAREFUL!

It’s some kind of fungus and I picked it up probably because I walk around barefoot in the gym shower room, at the pool, in my own bathroom…

This topic will continue on a less serious note in the Open forum… Pretty Big Toe… with pizza[/quote]

Well, boys have to watch out in other areas as well. I was at the doctor last week doing my health check thing for the ARC and she had the book open on penises that looked a lot worse than your toe with fungal infections.

My SO actually had a skin infection that travelled all over her body in little lumps. Quite scary. She was using a very mild soap. The doctor advised her to use an antibacterial soap. Never had a problem since.

Several of my toenails are in worse shape than that, but not from any fungal infection. It’s because they’ve been smashed to smithereens running on the treadmill in the gym.

If I do gentle little runs of a few kilometres, there’s no problem. But when I run ten or more at my fastest pace day after day, my feet get badly blistered and the nails horribly battered, often coming off completely. I just can’t seem to find the right pair of running shoes that provides adequate protection, so I just have to put up with the damage.

I’ve been talking with a few people and the toenail problem is pretty common here. Apparently it could spread from one toe to the next as well.

I don’t know if something drastic like having the toenail removed would fix the problem?

[quote=“tash”]Happy Toe Nails Day! :slight_smile:

Or you might get this:

This topic will continue on a less serious note in the Open forum… Pretty Big Toe… with pizza[/quote]

Girls are so gross.

[quote=“the chief”]

Girls are so gross.[/quote]

… and they are smelly.

OK, OK! One pic is enough! Please don’t keep quoting it!!!

AAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH! :runaway:

I think a visit to the dermatologist is in order…

Tash, may we ask what you are doing to combat the problem?

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Several of my toenails are in worse shape than that, but not from any fungal infection. It’s because they’ve been smashed to smithereens running on the treadmill in the gym.
[/quote]

Do you turn the treadmill on? This might be the problem.

[quote=“Old Gobbo”][quote=“Omniloquacious”]Several of my toenails are in worse shape than that, but not from any fungal infection. It’s because they’ve been smashed to smithereens running on the treadmill in the gym.
[/quote]

Do you turn the treadmill on? This might be the problem.[/quote]

I strip down, straddle the beast, go off at full thrust, exert myself totally, keep on unflaggingly, and work up a lather atop it. If that doesn’t turn it on, I don’t know what will.

But I can’t quite see what that has to do with my nails getting all bashed up.

[quote=“MJB”]Tash, may we ask what you are doing to combat the problem?[/quote]Different tactics, mostly I just wear camouflage clothing. It’s not that difficult, especially now that it’s trendy and you can buy it everywhere.

Yeah, ok… seriously… I only figured it out recently, around NY’s, although I probably caught it during last summer. I went to a doctor both in Holland and here. They both gave me cremes and ointments and said that I could try that, but it’s difficult to treat, you have to be extremely consistent with it, applying twice a day to your nails and applying fungicide powder to your socks and shoes all the time, too. Do it for about 6-8 months and then hope for the best.

If it doesn’t work, there’s this oral medication that is very efficient and the treatment is short, but it’s so heavy on the liver and kidneys that you want to avoid it if at all possible.

I think I’m going to go for the meds because after treating it with the other stuff, even the new part of the nail now seems infected, so…

I hope this helps someone.

Wear slippers, folks!

Oh, and that chlorine water in pools is not for nothing so don’t be silly and try to skip over it, it’s not a rain puddle, ok?

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“Old Gobbo”][quote=“Omniloquacious”]Several of my toenails are in worse shape than that, but not from any fungal infection. It’s because they’ve been smashed to smithereens running on the treadmill in the gym.
[/quote]

Do you turn the treadmill on? This might be the problem.[/quote]

I strip down, straddle the beast, go off at full thrust, exert myself totally, keep on unflaggingly, and work up a lather atop it. If that doesn’t turn it on, I don’t know what will.

But I can’t quite see what that has to do with my nails getting all bashed up.[/quote]

If you keep running into the end of the treadmill, due to it not erm, milling(?), you are bound to bash up your toes, nu?

Here’s info for anyone that might have a fungal toe infection.

Cremes, ointments, powders, i.e. external remedies didn’t help me. They don’t help in most cases.

I went to see a dermatologist at a hospital. He gave me Sporanox pills. I’ve done research beforehand and apparently this is the only thing that will do the job.

However, these pills are pretty heavy on your digestive system (especially liver) and heart. Have a look at the scary list of possible complications: Sporanox website such as liver failure and heartattack :astonished:

I will be taking them for 12 weeks. I got a dosage for 2 weeks now, and will continue going to the doctor for check ups and new pills.

With NHI I paid 500 NT total for exam and 2 weeks worth of pills. Not sure if the cost will be the same each time, but even if it amounts to 6x500=3000NT it’s still a lot cheaper than in Holland.

I’ve been taking them for one week now. No noticable side-affects. Yet.

No personal experience with this, but I’ve read that vinegar can help. Here’s one link and there are a bunch of variations on this theme out there on the Web, like the acidophilus beer soak :astonished: ezinearticles.com/?Toenail-Fungu … t&id=73468

Hey jeff, I had a look at that. The writer is a serious science dude so it may be worthwhile. Not sure about him controlling the world source of acidophilus and asking us to purchase it from him. It appears to be readily available anywhere.

I’m also not sure about a fungal beer foot bath that you store in the fridge. It would be a bit sad if you had visitors and came out to find them tucking into the terrific tasty home brew. I think I’d throw up for them.

There is a drug called Lamisil, available in both spray and cream form. I recommend the cream, from personal experience.
The foot disease you have is often confused with Hong Kong Foot/Athletes foot. It’s different and much more difficult to treat.
Lamisil treatment for Athletes Foot requires only one week. For this illness, I’m told it will take 6 weeks. I’m only 2 weeks into the treatment and my big toe looks and feels much more healthy.
When using this drug, first I clipped off most of the toe nail and applied the cream. Then, I keep the toe wrapped with a 3M Micropore surgical tape, to isolate the toe and avoid any loss of the medicine’s potency, my pharmacist suggested that. When you bathe, wash your foot thoroughly. Also, other areas of my foot have become unusually dry, so I apply Lamisil on those areas too, but do not wrap them.
Lamisil costs about $400 a tube, I’m guessing this treatment will require approx. 3 tubes.
The oral treatment is not an option for me, cause I drink too much. I don’t want to die from a foot fungus treatment, it wouldn’t look good on my headstone.
Good luck, Mark

IF i’m right, they also make a pill form that you take for 3 months. I used it and my nails cleared up in three months. There is also a suppliment that you should take to insure that the fungus stays away. This seems to be a wide spread problem in Taiwan, as I’ve seen alot of posters in pharmacies advertising about this problem.

Go to Shanghai pharmacy tash and talk to them there. They were very helpful when I had a similar problem and all was well afterward.

Best of luck :rainbow:

Any more info on the supplement Nama?

A lot of people have this problem. Could be an expat epidemic.

:astonished:

Any more info on the supplement Nama?

A lot of people have this problem. Could be an expat epidemic.

:astonished:[/quote]

I forgot what the suppliment is, but if you would like I would go over to Shanghai and ask them about it and report back since the hospitals are closed for the weekend.

Amputation is always an option. :slight_smile: