Hearing Loss

(Don’t laugh at the old fart!) Seems that all the years of playing amplified music has taken its toll on my hearing…anyone know what solutions to hearing loss are available. I don’t want to ask my wife because she will badger me to go in, and I R not sure I’m ready to admit that I’m having trouble hearing some students because of background noise outside the window…just curious if anyone has run across anyone with a similar problem and what the solutions are…

Bifocals at 24, trifocals at 30, now hearing loss at 36 :frowning:.

Bastard, 'aint it? Its not treatable I don’t think. But some of the modern hearing aids are quite unobtrusive.
I’m not there yet, but I get terrible tinnitus (and I used to laugh at folks who played wearing earplugs – who’s laughing now, eh? Whassat? You’ll have to speak up!)
Plus, years of killing small animals hasn’t helped. I wish I’d been a bowhunter.

Yeah, I tried earplugs but the frequency response was so bad that I took ‘em out after while :frowning:. Do you know how this is treated by Lao Bao? I’m thinking it is like glasses, no coverage :frowning:. I asked a Chinese friend whose father has hearing problems and his father’s solution was to ask people ot speak up :slight_smile:…not so good with payin’ stooduts :frowning:.

Are u certain it’s hearing loss? You could be bunged up with wax. I get very waxy and need a good clean every year or two.

Either way, get it checked out. I would have thought the NHI health card covers a hearing test if it’s not wax. Beyond that I dont’ know, but your doc will be able to tell you.

Yeah, its hearing loss. I wasn’t the quietest member of the band (and once upon a time offered to rent myself and my amps out for building demolitions at a fraction of the cost of implosion).

Sorry, man, it’s permanent. Hearing aids or (in extreme cases) cochlear implants – you’ve gotta be nearly totally deaf and have a fortune to spend for those, though.

I’m in the same boat. :frowning:

If you get a ringing sound in your ears stop the loud noise. The damage is definitely permanent. Your ears are tools and need to be treated with great care and respect.

I was very shocked and perturbed when my pro-gun nephew took me to a shooting range on my last trip home and the butt of the gun pushed up against those oversized muffs exposing my ear to the assault rifle shockwaves just as I fired. My ears rang for a long time.
“Just my luck after clubbing all those years to be harmed in this way,” I thought.
I am going in for a test next time I have health insurance.

[quote=“Quirky”]I was very shocked and perturbed when my pro-gun nephew took me to a shooting range on my last trip home and the butt of the gun pushed up against those oversized muffs exposing my ear to the assault rifle shockwaves just as I fired. My ears rang for a long time.
“Just my luck after clubbing all those years to be harmed in this way,” I thought.[/quote]
Your ears were probably already toast from the clubbing. :moo:

Next time you go shooting, double up – earmuffs and earplugs. A decent set of muffs is more important than the plugs, but both combined will shield your hearing much more – especially if the muffs get pushed aside or are too loose.

What? Say what?
Follow Rush Limbaugh and take lots of drugs.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]What? Say what?
Follow Rush Limbaugh and take lots of drugs.[/quote]

The drugs were for chronic severe back pain. For his hearing loss, he got a cochlear implant – but at least in the U.S., you have to be essentially totally deaf and have about (IIRC) US$100,000 to spend. They’re still considered experimental, and they’re NOT CHEAP.

Hmmm, for now I’m switching classrooms to one in the back of the school away from the road, at least the road noise isn’t there (still need to add infrared receptors so I can turn a few of the kids “up.”)