Heart the band, Taiwan, and TAS

My wife and I were listening to the radio (UFO) yesterday morning…well, I was “half listening” since I don’t speak Chinese. But I heard the d.j. play several “Heart” songs in a row. “Heart” was a late 1970’s group fronted by two sisters named Ann and Nancy Wilson.

When I was in junior college I was in love/lust with both of them. I sent both of them marriage proposals but never heard back.

Without telling my wife that (hope she doesn’t find this post!), I did ask her, “what’s the deal with the “Heart” songs”.

She said the d.j. said the Wilson sisters went to Taipei American School.

Is that true? If so that makes them the most famous alumni of TAS.

take care,
Brian
President, Wilson Sisters Fan Klub

1 Like

It seems to be true, Fansites said they grew up in Southern California and Taiwan. Their father was a marine corps captain, could that be what brought them here ?

Tim Russ of Star Trek used to live in Tainan

1 Like

Rumor has it,

Betty ting-pei, Bruce lees girlfriend (he died in here shower) went to TAS.

chou

I always thought they were from Seattle! What is the truth???

Hey, Sharky, quit with the philosphical questions already, will ya? :wink:

The Boomtown Rats said it best:

“the only truth is there is no truth, ya ya ya, bob she bob she bob!”

Fan bios seem to suggest they are from the US and lived in Taiwan.
geocities.com/eva_louise17/Ann_Wilson.html

However, I’ve seen the TAS book (The Ties that Bind, by Richard Vuylsteke) and don’t recall any mention of them, or any other famous TAS students for that matter. Despite glowing reviews for the book from the Taiwan Review (formerly Free China Review), it is odd the author would overlook trivia like this.

They lived in Taiwan and supposedly went to TAS. Father who was a US Marine. ICRT radio station DJ mentioned partially this afternoon.

Bios say they settled in Seattle when they were around six years old, so hard to imagine them going to TAS at such a young age.

I may have set a record for reviving a 17-year old thread.

The title of their first album. Kind of a mellow country song/yacht music when most of their music is pure rock and roll.

Most viewed song on YouTube.

And just rock and roll.

1 Like

Now we need Marco to show up to keep it moving. : D

Guy

2 Likes

Nothing about Nancy marrying Cameron Crowe and getting a bit part in FTARH??

1 Like

@Marco :guitar:

No no no. It’s for Tango’s laments that his topics never get replies :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a @brianlkennedy topic.

Was UFO a Taiwan radio station? Or he talking about the band?

Army radio (US Forces Overseas), the precursor to ICRT

Nope, I just read Kennedy’s OP, Army radio was long gone by then, my mistake.

Wikipedia says that Ann was born in 1950 and that her family settled in the Seattle area in the early 1960s. That leaves plenty of time to attend TAS.

In Europe it was called AFN, American Forces Network.

OK, so what is UFO?

Fuck if I know :idunno:

1 Like

It’s a radio station.

http://www.uforadio.com.tw/

2 Likes