HEATED ARGUMENT.. Sleep, Hibernate or Shutdown

OK… it’s about power saving versus keeping the hardware running longer.

I was told that every time you turn on your computer from an off state, the start up puts stress on the internal components. Before sleep and hibernate was invented the wisdom was to keep it on all day.
Now, I hibernate and sleep my desktop and laptop, shutting it down at the end of the day.

I’m always in and out. access my desktop and could use it twenty minutes later or and hour later. I’m not sure if I task must be done on the computer and not my mobile phone. So, if I that is the case, I could be turning it on and off all day.

So, assumed that hibernate or sleep are the best energy saving options that put less stress on my computer.
I really don’t care about waiting for it to boot up. Yes, faster is better but I care more about putting stress on my hardware.
But my opposition says I should just turn it off. It makes no difference.

So, tell me… has things changed? Can I just turn on and shut off my computer several times a day or is is better to use the standby modes.
The articles I found don’t take hardware wear and tear much to account as they did in the old days. I need evidence supporting your conclusion. Please link…

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]OK… it’s about power saving versus keeping the hardware running longer.

I was told that every time you turn on your computer from an off state, the start up puts stress on the internal components. Before sleep and hibernate was invented the wisdom was to keep it on all day.
Now, I hibernate and sleep my desktop and laptop, shutting it down at the end of the day.

I’m always in and out. access my desktop and could use it twenty minutes later or and hour later. I’m not sure if I task must be done on the computer and not my mobile phone. So, if I that is the case, I could be turning it on and off all day.

So, assumed that hibernate or sleep are the best energy saving options that put less stress on my computer.
I really don’t care about waiting for it to boot up. Yes, faster is better but I care more about putting stress on my hardware.
But my opposition says I should just turn it off. It makes no difference.

So, tell me… has things changed? Can I just turn on and shut off my computer several times a day or is is better to use the standby modes.
The articles I found don’t take hardware wear and tear much to account as they did in the old days. I need evidence supporting your conclusion. Please link…[/quote]

First of all, we’re not talking about internal combustion engines here. Takes the same stress booting from shutdown than hibernation, the only difference being that in hibernation, the contents of your RAM are written on your Hard Disk. If you have an SSD, that could actually shorten its useful life.

In fact, since I got the last Ubuntu, having the computer boot up from shutdown in 10 seconds basically makes Hibernation pretty useless.

Sleep is a little bit like having it on, with the difference that the RAM and motherboard are using much less power. Pretty unnecessary, if the intervals of using the computer are close enough, and a waste if those intervals are longer.

From a consumer standpoint, repeated on/off cycles will more likely damage easily worn/replaceable items such as the actual on/off button from your computer or fan(s) and power supply.

If you’re concerned about the CPU/DRAM/Flash (SSD), you’re being overly concerned because we estimate lifetime failure rates in hundreds of thousands of hours of use with a ton of bandwidth being used (which, unless you’re running a data center, you’re unlikely to wear out a SSD or DRAM before we’re into the next next generation of memory technology).

My 2 cents, being in the industry, is just to use it as you see fit.

Just leave it on all day. Changing core temperature from cold to operating level and back again, and repeating this multiple times on a daily basis will only accelerate the decomposition of the molecular structure of your systems’ components, leading to early decay, and possibly death.

It’s the same reason I don’t take naps.

A computer is more like a diesel engine than a petrol engine.

Let it run, then turn off at the end of the day to clear the cache, and don’t forget to clear your history while you are at it.

Not sure about that, but thermal cycling isn’t good for PCBs, that’s for sure.

A good percentage of early Xbox 360s died prematurely because thermal cycling fractured the delicate soldering in the ball grid arrays used to mount GPU and CPU chips.

Power-guzzling chips heat up a great deal, expand, and place stress on the mounting points until the PCB heats and expands to relieve the stress.

Compounding the problem is that modern, lead-free solder is a lot more brittle than grandpa’s solder, and it fractures a lot more easily.

I leave my pc running and just turn off monitor.

I just got a bigger fan to be able to leave the computer on 24/7. The previous one had a smaller one that made a lot of noise and was difficult to clean.