Heater refills?

I’ve got one of those big white electric radiator heaters. Apparently they have oil inside them, and someone told me that if they suddenly stop working (as mine has), it’s probably becuase they need more oil.

Sound right?

So where can I go to get it topped up? (What kind of store?)

Brian

and where did the oil in it go to ?

Did you feed the hamster inside ?

Maybe there was a crack and the oil evaporated/burnt away? I don’t know. I was hoping for a USEFUL reply from someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

Brian

Are you sure it’s not an electrical problem? It would be highly unusual to have the oil leak out unnoticed! If it’s leaking you generally get a pretty horrible smell and can see where the oil has burnt on the casing. I recently rescued a ‘Very well made in Taiwan’ oil heater. It’s own heat had melted components off the circuit board…If it really has leaked all the oil out, suggest chucking it away and buying a new one.

Brian, I think someone is pulling your leg.

[quote]Brian, I think someone is pulling your leg.
[/quote]

No, it is oil-filled. This person probably, just like me, doesn’t know if these need to be refilled or not. SuperS54 says no, that would be a big problem.

So maybe it is another problem. I pulled it apart a bit and can’t see any obvious electrical problems.

Where can I take something like this to get fixed in general. Harware stores (shui dian hang) don’t do this sort of thing do they? A second-hand appliance store?

Brian

Try air-con repair shops. Maybe.

[quote=“TNT”]and where did the oil in it go to ?[/quote]Tigerman drank it :laughing:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
No, it is oil-filled.
Brian[/quote]
I’m sure it is. But as others said before: You WILL know if oil has leaked.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
So maybe it is another problem. I pulled it apart a bit and can’t see any obvious electrical problems.
Brian[/quote]
Did you check the fuse? It should have some kind of indicator lamp. Does it work? It should be an electrical problem. Parts could malfunction because the current (thanks to those great 110V…) was too high or they could just have unsoldered themselves due to the heat of the device…

Brian, I’ve taken broken fans back to my local mum&dad electrical appliance store and they’ve got them fixed for me (don’t know if they do it themselves or what, but they’ll probably have the contacts you need.

The wiring in my old house is too dodgy to run one of those radiators, so I took Mr. He’s advice and bought a kerosene radiant heater, which costs very little to run and heats the house very quickly. I paid NT$5,500 for mine in the electrical appliance store at the crossroads of Hsinhai Rd. and Hsinlong Rd.

[quote=“dl7und”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]
No, it is oil-filled.
Brian[/quote]
I’m sure it is. But as others said before: You WILL know if oil has leaked.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
Brian[/quote]
Did you check the fuse? It should have some kind of indicator lamp. Does it work? It should be an electrical problem. Parts could malfunction because the current (thanks to those great 110V…) was too high or they could just have unsoldered themselves due to the heat of the device…[/quote]

shake it and see do you hear oil moving a round in it. It is very low viscosity oil so it should slosh around inside

Also check the underside of it to see if there is any residue from an oil leak

As SS54 said… if it is leaking oil you would smell a very heavy oily smell from it

Also if you tried to run it without oil… it may have blown the heating element in it