Heaters: Who needs 'em?

Could just be an affectation. Although you usually don’t see that level of alcoholism in Americans.

1 Like

i bought a space heater last year. actually didn’t need to use it much which was nice. electric blanket is a must though. makes a big difference.

You get your body warmth through milking the cows, that’s enough exercise.

In the winter it’s a blessing to live on the uppermost floor or my walk-up. There’s always a noticeable shift in temperature as I go up the last flight of stairs, cuz heat rises. Plus the sun heats up my place, too.

Obviously during the hot season, it’s not ideal. But I handle heat much better than I handle cold so it’s a fair trade.

he sleeps with them for warmth

1 Like

No, the warmth is just a bonus.

2 Likes

YOU some Eskimo bro !
Back in the dark day in Wanli. We had one kerosene heater on 24/7 and two oil circulating heaters as well. And…all it did was to warm the apt up 3 degrees C. Yup 3 C and thats it. When it got down to as low as 4c one time. all we got up to was 7c. And that is indoors !! Wearing socks and my ski jacket with the hoodie on IN THE HOUSE.

PoOOR CATS , they just hid all day long, only coming out to get food and to use the toilet.

Over here in the east bay it can when winter hits us get down to minus 1 c but i keep my apt 22c 24/7. N>I>C>E>

1 Like

Wanli…I can imagine …along with the damp.

Wanli is a little different. Direct exposure to the northeast monsoon in the winter.

bLOODY cold…freezing wanli is when the cold front hits. And the howling wind… Siberia must be like that. Plus on top of all that its fricking raining cats and dogs while the cold hits. And i keep wishing it would SNOW. And it does near by in YMS. But where we were in wanli its just the cold without the FUN of snow. It should just frickin snow when it gets down to 4c. and Rain. A few more degrees less and it would be snowing.

1 Like

I used to have a hot air heater. It wasn’t useful in the living room, somewhat in the bedroom but it would dry out the air. Stopped using it and then later it melted down!
I use the halogen heater for an instant heat bath but of course can’t use them when sleeping . Electric blankets are the best for sleep.

I did have an oil Heater I was gifted and I found it next to useless, took too long to heat up and the room wouldn’t retain the heat. I just dumped that as it was taking up too much space.

Kerosene heaters are pretty good, except you have to fill the thing every 12 hours. OUrs used up a gallon of kerosene every 12 hours !
The ceramic heaters are real good though. And yes oil circulating heaters only work well in a room without any drafts.

We used the oil heaters to dry clothes ! Works really well if you dont have a clothes dryer in the winter time when its raining and the humidity is 100pct.

Heaters? Seriously? My wife is from a suburb of Siberia. When I go to visit her family, THAT’S cold.

I find that if I just wear long sleeves, that’s all I need to stay warm.

I’m still trying to convince my 2-year-old son the importance of wearing long sleeves at night… he complains and wants to wear short sleeves to bed…

1 Like

When I lived in Taichung on a hilltop the wind would howl outside right through the winter. My bathroom halogen heater was a gift from the Gods. I’m sure folks living in Hsinchu can relate.

Are you people saying you wear more than just your underwear in bed?! :noway:

A T-shirt. Otherwise my nipples rub against the sheets, giving me sinful dreams.

FIFY

1 Like

I like to keep the vocabulary simple for all our remedial readers. :grin:

1 Like

We have window mounted ACs, and two can also provide heat. I’m not sure that’s an option on the vote.

For me, living in Xizhi, it’s also psychological with the non-stop rain. Dark and rainy conditions make it also feel colder to me. On a sunny day like today, I will shut the two AC/heaters and the two space heaters off in the morning. Cold and dry AND sunny, and I don’t feel that cold all of a sudden.

Edit: I voted hot air heating. Close enough but I would say a million times better than a plug-in hot air heater with an AC that can also heat.

Inverter option might be the most accurate meaning inverter ACs that can heat as well as cool …