Heaters: Who needs 'em?

They are limited in heating power, depending on the outside temperature. It’s a heat pump, the colder outside the less heat it can produce.

2 Likes

I actually thought that’s what was meant by “hot air heating” and that’s what I voted for.

Mine is a brand new split unit instead of a window unit, but it has more than ample heating power.

I have no complaints. 24 degrees all throughout our apartment this early morning. Went cycling and didn’t really dress appropriately. I checked the temp outside but really kind of blew it off since I was so toasty before heading out.

1 Like

Depends on the size:
“Sizing
Economical running costs rely on selecting a
reverse cycle air conditioner that is the right size
for your needs. Accurate sizing is essential before
buying a unit and should include a detailed heat
load survey of your home by a qualified technician
recommended by a unit’s manufacturer or retailer.
Under or oversized units will give poor
performance. Ask for the reverse cycle air
conditioner output capacity to be expressed in
kilowatts (kW). Horsepower (HP) is often
inaccurate and misleading as it measures the size
of the motor, but does not accurately reflect the
unit’s output”

"Air conditioners in cold climates:

Some models may not function as effectively in
temperatures below 5°C, although some do have
an auxiliary heater or de-icing capacity to assist in
cold weather. Auxiliary heaters run on peak rate
electricity, and can increase running costs if used
excessively. "

Wait until it’s 4°C in winter, if it’s not rated for cold weather it won’t heat enough.

1 Like

I think they oversized it just slightly so it wouldn’t be overworked. Living room is open and leads into the hallway/kitchen. IIRC, the A/C is 6.3 kW and the heating is 7.2 kW. It’s a Fujitsu.

I’d take cold Canada to Taiwan winters. At least it’s dry cold. These damp winters suck

3 Likes

My first winter here was an eye-opener! I knew the temps could get down to single digits, but that was nothing compared to the -20C it gets in Colorado. So I foolishly thought, “No problem!” Man, I had no idea the humidity made THAT much of a difference in the “real feel” of the temp! Both in the heat and the cold.

Plus, I think my blood has thinned out since I’ve been here and I’m more sensitive to the cold meow.

3 Likes

The damp cold really gets into your bones. The real kicker is just that it’s always cold here (in the north), no matter where you go, since most places don’t have a heating system. You have to go out of your way to warm yourself up.

1 Like

Exactly what I noticed. It really does get cold to the bone! Making me shiver just thinking about it.

Though, today reminded me of a sunny Colorado winter day. Had to wear layers as it was cold this morning, nice and warm this afternoon, but will get cold for the scooter ride home again after work.

Cats are pretty sensitive to the cold :slight_smile:. Especially shorthairs

But I felt the same before I got here. 10 degrees? Sounds great.
Then finding out it wasn’t so great.

Muscle memory. Any time I want to type “now”, it always comes out “meow”.

1 Like

Kerosene all the way, no substitute!

I like to bring a mans home with me. Keep me nice and warm. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Which is it? Singular or plural?

1 Like

A lady doesn’t kiss and tell…

I guess it’s like blankets. You can always throw on another one if you’re not warm enough.

4 Likes

Good thing you guys brought up this topic today. I am getting the heater out today…for one of my cats who is sick. Doctor prescribed heater and sweater for her.

I say turn on the heater when it hurts to breathe. That is why heated covers are not enough. I have tuna powered purring in cover heaters anyway.

Poor cat…I bet the sweater is cute, though.

1 Like

Cat in sweater pic ?

In those words?! :anguished:

1 Like