šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ UK - London | Heathrow Airport food options

I lived above a Taiwanese restaurant in Thailand for several months (cumulatively on different trips), passing by it a couple of times a day. Wasnā€™t tempted to go inside even once haha :laughing:

Heathrow Airport is near Hounslow. There are many local Chinese takeaways around there. The quality of such places varies between awful to excellent but, as Andrew mentioned, you canā€™t compare it to real Chinese food. Itā€™s its own thing.

I think Cantonese takeaways can be particularly good in London. Iā€™m sure it must have something to do with the high numbers of Cantonese people living there and the tight history.

1 Like

Honestly, I think sheā€™d better use those 10 days to get used to the idea of the UK as a food desert. Presumably when she gets out she can cook for herself: there are a lot of Chinese supermarkets in the UK (and particularly in London) so sheā€™ll have no trouble getting ingredients.

I agree with the other suggestions about just ordering from a ā€œChineseā€ takeaway. Itā€™s like Hong Kong food, except cooked by a grandma whoā€™s going slightly batty. Itā€™s cheap and itā€™s edible (there is, of course, a lot of variation in quality). You canā€™t ask for much more than that unless you want to spend some serious money.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been to some ok Chinese restaurants in London Chinatown but the food was all really, REALLY greasy and the waitstaff (mostly HKers) were all unbelievably rude. Like excuse me? I just asked if I could pay by card, I didnā€™t poison your dog.

Yes, if Wagamama is considered hip then the pandemic+brexit really has put paid to London.

1 Like

And if seeking ā€œAsian foodā€ at Heathrow quarantine, the best she can hope for is sushi. Culinary wasteland.

Sushi Samba is hip and I really wanted to go, but I never did because all my friends there were cheap bastards.

Thank you all for your suggestions and a passed some them to her. She did find many decent Indian places in the area that can send out food and the Chinese fast food places via Ubereats but as mentioned not much good East Asian food in the area.

Wagamama is not considered hip, but most people who eat there havenā€™t lived in Japan, so itā€™s novel for them. Iā€™ve never been in one and never will.
Yuppie? Chewie :joy::joy::joy: Yuppies donā€™t exist no more mate. Everyone lives on credit card debt these days. Wagamama is for people who donā€™t realise that paying fifteen quid for a bowl of liquid is a waste of dosh. You can see the menu at the door, so itā€™s no mystery. Caveat Emptor!
Heathrow is indeed next to my beloved Hounslow. Itā€™s also next to Cranford, Stanwell, Harlington, Harmondswoth, Longford, so thereā€™s plenty of options.

Curry is the local delicacy. Mogoā€¦ Oh man, find a place that sells Mogo
and order some of that. Thatā€™s the business.

Just Eat is a better app for that area, more things have free delivery than Uber Eats.

I would recommend just trying anything. Thereā€™s a ton of stuff to try. Just go for it.

The comment that the UK is a food desert :joy::joy::joy: The food here is fantastic, you silly Billy.

1 Like

Maybe some uncle rodger to help her through the culinary decompression?

1 Like

Thank you on the tips, and will pass long "Curry is the local delicacy. Mogoā€¦ "