'Heavy' Bikes

in better words… REAL bikes… i have yet to meet another foreigner in Taiwan who rides anything bigger than an NSR… except for a few ABC friends…

what do you ride? where? and what shop do you use?

ME:
I ride a Honda Hornet 250… small i know, but very well suited to Taiwan
From Taichung
SHOP: 00 (Double Circle)… Corner of Si-Tun Rd & Wen-Shin Rd (a little in on Si-Tun)

Me: BMW R1200GS
Why: 'cause it’s an excellent bike for Taiwan. (not excellent on the wallet though).
To: anyplace I can
With: 1 or 2 mates…No “teams”.

Cheers

There are a handful of foreigners who ride big bikes… In fact more and more people seem to be being tempted to invest in displacement… Not so many in Taichung though… That’s cool that you’ve got a Hornet, even the small one is still a great cornering tool, plus you don’t really need a shop for much at all, you could just get the service manual and do the maintenance work yourself all you need to do it change the oil, keep the chain in spec and lubed and since it’s a Honda check the plugs and valve clearances once every 9 million km :wink:

Send me a PM “x08” and we can arrange a ride sometime some “Skylarkpuma”… I converted him to BMW GS’s, so I’ll have to begin the brainwashing and jedi mind tricks all over again with you… Honestly BMW should pay me commission!..:laughing: we’re both based in Taichung, near the mountains in DaKeng…

maybe next month if we all wanna go out for a ride together… i’m dead broke till payday…

as for puma… i know who he is… sure we’ve met before… but when he was riding with my shop, i was still riding my scooter… so i’ve never ridden with him before, just met him at the shop…

i’d like a bigger bike… but a) the missus isn’t too happy about the idea - she says my 250 is good enough… and while i must agree, i’d like a z1000… b) my new daughter uses a fair bit of cash and i’m finding myself broke at the end of most months… so i can’t afford it… especially since we may be looking at buying a house sometime soon…

I ride an RG 250/ 2 stroke. It’s small, quick, and fun. Perfect for the curvies, not a great commute bike.

I use a scooter and an FZ 150 for that.

I’m buying a HD back home in the States this summer.

Don’t see a need for a BIG bike here except for getting ohhs and ahhs from the locals.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

Don’t see a need for a BIG bike here except for getting ohhs and ahhs from the locals.[/quote]

The ohhs and ahhs are nice…and if you’d ever like to experience over 200km/hr you’d need a bigger than a 250.

I had a 250TZR 2-stroker here for awhile. Great bike…but I found I was hitting it’s top speed on every other street…get frustrating when you’re always trying to shift into 7th.

I ride a Hornet 900. Big and comfy for my frame, yet its narrow profile is good for squeezing between cars. You sit up quite high for good forward observation, plenty of power to stop and go as you need. Good natured enough to be a commuter, but also nasty enough to terrorise at the weekends. The only let down is the cheap suspension if you want to ride it very hard, but the ohhs and ahhs are nice.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

Don’t see a need for a BIG bike here except for getting ohhs and ahhs from the locals.[/quote]

The ohhs and ahhs are nice…and if you’d ever like to experience over 200km/hr you’d need a bigger than a 250.

I had a 250TZR 2-stroker here for awhile. Great bike…but I found I was hitting it’s top speed on every other street…get frustrating when you’re always trying to shift into 7th.[/quote]

you’re not kidding… my hornet tops out at 170 :frowning: maybe if it was downhill or i had wind behind me i coulda gone a little faster…

Me: BMW R1150GS
Why: Perfect bike to discover Formosa on lousy streets and roads.
Dealer: BMW Yi-Der in Chungho in Taipei County
I am usually riding in smaller groups - occasionally with Puma, Plasma and UKbikerchick

i have never had the ooos and ahhs, i ride a very plain bike and don’t like to be noticed :wink:

i ride a kawasaki 750 (i have a very plain paint work and a plain crash helmet to match)

i have a scooter for daily life and my bigger bike for weekends to get out and enjoy the scenery (although when i’m out with some of these guys, you know who you are, i don’t have time to look at the scenery i’m too busy concentrating on the gravel and up turned road that i have been taken on, and yelling at the top of my voice that i’m going to kill the boys when i eventually catch them :raspberry: )

big bikes aren’t necessary but they are fun :slight_smile:

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]
big bikes aren’t necessary but they are fun :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yeah, I could give up anytime if I wanted to! :raspberry: