Heavy handed moderation

I’d be interested in knowing why my post:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0&t=119644

Got temped. Additionally, why the follow up post:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 8#p1512336

Did not.

Seems to me it’s a lot more about whether or not the mod agreed with it rather than whether it was appropriate to the thread.

Just had a quick chat with the mod, 914, and am replying in her stead! In a thread like this concerning an ongoing tragedy, posts about related political and other questions would be better made in a separate thread. Here are two other such threads:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 1&t=119636
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 1&t=119646

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Just had a quick chat with the mod, 914, and am replying in her stead! In a thread like this concerning an ongoing tragedy, posts about related political and other questions would be better made in a separate thread. Here are two other such threads:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 1&t=119636
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 1&t=119646[/quote]

If that’s the reason, why weren’t all politically related posts moved?

Strikes me as a copout.

That’s why I was also put out, there was some selective cutting going on.

But I will take 914 at her word this time that she wants to focus on the event itself.

To clarify, talk about “worse carnage happening elsewhere” and the like can be considered as somewhat inconsiderate to those who were hurt, maimed and or killed in this incident. A thread concerning a tragedy may well be moderated in this way. There are other threads where such sentiments can be expressed.

But why myself and Skoster were so annoyed was that a lot of this content was in reply to the ‘Muslims did it’ bit (which was subsequently cut out and highly offensive), and then Hansioux’s posts were let stand which said that we were justifying this bombing, which was completely false.

Exactly. In the original context my post was just pondering how people of different countries react.

I’m not even arguing to keep my post, though I think anyone who sees it as a justification for the bombing is severely misreading it. All I’m really saying is that if one really feels that the political discussion belongs in another thread then one would put all of the political discussion in another thread.

Frankly, I think moderating out comments one doesn’t like about an attack on a country which is specificially attacked because of the freedoms (for instance, speech) which it stands for, is ludicrous. I don’t buy for a second that the moderating was done for any other reason, and I find it a bit distasteful that instead of the person who did it standing up for their actions a proxy comes by to do so, first with one reason and then with another.

Thanks for the feedback guys, we’ve made a complete split of the two threads:

Blast kills 3 at Boston Marathon,140 injured
Political discussion of Boston Marathon explosion

Thank you!

Seeing how this looked like the appropriate thread, I would like to know why the “Forumosa and Taiwanease” thread was locked. Thank you.