Heavyweight boxing: Andy Ruiz upsets Anthony Joshua in NYC

Joshua won’t retire. He’s not even 30. Nowadays heavyweights don’t peak until their mid 30s.

He’ll probably do the rematch and get slaughtered , then retire. Whyte will carry the mantle so to speak. And Fury maybe one or two huge fights left. Just my opinion.
And forgot to add Wilder as he’s getting better and better(as is Whyte)

That’s too messy for me, but I enjoy watching highlights every now and then (mainly for the schadenfreude)

Well I don’t know about that. He was the champion for a reason and he isn’t a scrub. To me, he just didn’t look prepared. I think he seriously underestimated Ruiz. I’d like to see a rematch personally.

2 Likes

Fair enough, no I don’t think he was a scrub even if he loses again. My money is on Ruiz but hope I’m wrong.:+1:

Ruiz was an 11 to 1 underdog I believe.

Yes around that.

I just mean I think he would do better. Maybe he will lose again to Ruiz. But it think it’ll actually be a good fight. But i want to see Ruiz take on others before that.

1 Like

I’d like to see Ruiz fight more heavyweights before a rematch with Joshua, too.

If the rematch is in the UK (and I believe it will be), and if Joshua decides to straight up box Ruiz (rather than fight him), then Joshua should win. I think.

I think Joshua’s strong enough to enjoy a puncher’s chance against Ruiz. But I think if he uses his length and height advantage to box Ruiz, he’ll win a decision.

That would suck for two reasons. First, I don’t trust judges and I often disagree with fights decided by them. Second, though, is that Ruiz might be in a bad position. He’d probably be too dangerous for Fury or Wilder to fight without their own rematch clauses. A loss to Joshua might drop Ruiz into the second tier of heavyweights alongside the likes of Joseph Parker. Ruiz’s career could languish if he gets stuck spending his prime in the churn of 2nd tier heavyweights.

I hope I’m wrong about all of it, though. I think Ruiz is really good for boxing right now. I hope he succeeds.

Yeah. I’m with you here. Some really questionable scores in recent memory.

It’s been a long long time since I cared about the heavy division. It’s been predictable and lacked competition. I hope Ruiz succeeds. People like him a lot and I think it’s been a long time since anyone liked anyone in the heavyweight division.

This is the most fun the heavyweight division has been in a long time. Fury, Wilder, Ruiz, Joshua, Whyte, and then five more guys who could, on a good day, beat anybody.

I can’t remember when the heavyweight division was so rich. Even 40-50 years ago - with Sonny Liston, Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, and Ken Norton - may not have been as rich as this crop. When the heavyweight division is rich all of boxing becomes rich. Good times.

1 Like

Heavyweight has been irrelevant for a while now unfortunately. Hopefully Ruiz can change things up.

I agree I think Joshua on top of his game can beat Ruiz. I’ve seen him box so much better, and not taking anything away from Ruiz. But I know Joshua can box better, but is it enough to come back to beat Ruiz, it would be exciting to see I think.

1 Like

Yup that is totally why I believe he should fight Joshua again. I don’t think he will do as well against the other top heavy weights. I think he will fight another heavy weight first and possibly lose.
Styles makes fights and he has a great style for Joshua. The most dangerous match for him in my opinion would be Wilder although I think Wilder will lose a rematch against Fury unless Fury gets into one of his coke binges etc.

Well it became much better ever since Fury dethroned Klitchcow (or however it is spelled )
However if I was definitely right I’d be rich from sports betting.

2 Likes

Finally some reasons to talk about the heavyweight division. It’s been like 1 or two good fighters and a bunch of no name scrubs for a long long time. And every once in a while some fighter gives people hope but turns out to be fools gold.

2 Likes

“Fools Gold” I like that expression, you sound like the Gypsy King himself with that phrase.:+1:

The HW division will never come close to the 70s.

Joshua will get a new coach and comfortably win the rematch on points. Bet your mortgage on it.

Fury in Vegas

Don’t need highlights on this one. Master class. Watch his head movement, he’s moving like Mayweather and Ali but way bigger. He’s on his way back to perhaps even better than before his drug abuse and depression. True Deliverance.Looking forward to the Alabama Slammer rematch.

Fury shouldn’t have been in there with someone like that

Why? He is training to plug up some holes in his game.