Heinz Mayonnaise - other imported goods

Fair play for having the knowledge and skills to do/make all this stuff. Apart from not having the time (or energy), I wouldn’t have a clue.

But it sounds like you have even less time to make mayonnaise than I do. Just buy a jar and put your feet up for it a bit. Take it easy.

You’re right in that I watch to much TV. I identify more with Homer Simpson than Ned Flanders.

i love making things from scratch but it takes me an age. corn tortillas are the best, they don’t even take that long. i will try to remember to bring my tortilla press back with me next time i go home.

the last time i bought mayo i had to treck to the nearest jasons to find it. recently they have opened a new jasons quite close to me. but it appears to be a smaller shop with less variety and no mayonaisse. not even any cadburys chocolate. basically it has the same shit you can find in any supermarket but more expensive. kind of annoying.

Hi All,

So much to my Surprise home made Yorkshire puddings where a bit of a hit among my taiwanese friends, of course i showed them how to eat them properly with Home made Beef Bourg and Mash potatoes.

i actually found that Ikea has many items you cannot find in local stores for baking and cooking (like the muffin tin i bought) or similar but much cheaper!

I have another strange question has anyone ever seen Black Garlic oil on sale anywhere or is there a different name for it in Taiwan? i have asked many people but unsure of whether to buy or again another one you have to make at home?

Never even heard of it. Happened to come across a recipe, looks easy

If it’s Japanese I’d check the more Japanese-focused supermarkets like City Super or the one in Breeze Center.

I feel like there has to be Japanese specialty stores in Tienmu, but I can’t think of any.

Yeah i looked in City Super and it does look simple but from what i read it can go terribly wrong and taste awful as well might give it ago, but yes this would be for tonkostu ramen.

thank you again.

How wrong can you go burning garlic :slight_smile: I’m guessing the stirring is the key there.

1 Like

I want this. I tried some suggestions for mayo on this board and others but it just doesn’t come out like hellman’s.
I’ll take a local alternative, but the local alternatives use milk even through they say vegetarian. The did not say vegan.
Suggestions please. I have an allergy flarup that make me have a reaction to all animal protein.
BTW: If you have an allergic reaction to food such as seafood. Avoid eating all animal protein for a few days. I did not follow that advice.
Now give me my freaking mayo so I can enjoy salad sandwiches. I really only liked the sandwiches because of the mayo anyway.

Costco usually has a big jar of mayo called kirkland brand that tastes suspiciously like Hellmann’s and is a fraction of the cost of mayo at the upscale grocers. I never can finish the jar but it is still cheaper than buying tiny jars. I did find a good sized jar of Hellman’s at Jason’s on Anhe Road. Some of the French brands are good.

Isn’t eggs animal protein? Mayo is chock full of them

2 Likes

The product in my post is Hellman’s Vegan Mayo (Salad dressing).
My accident with the fish and other proteins came a year ago. Before that, Mayo was my sauce!
So, I’m looking for a good vegan mayo alternative that has the feel and taste of mayo. Or at least close. Maybe I can make a decent french or thousand island dressing out of it.
Some reviews say the Helman’s product is great. Some people say it tastes like plastic. I just want something.
Actually, please turn me on to another sauce. Maybe an easy sweet and sour sauce or something else I can slather on bread and veggies. Something sweet and tangy?

1 Like

Local “mayonnaise” or thousand island dressing would seem to fit the tangy and definitely the sweet, perhaps check the ingredients, would imagine there’s very little that is natural in there. Grab a couple of small packs from your nearest 7-11 salad section as a trial, think they’re 10NT each or free with a salad.

Local thousand island contains mayonnaise and to the best of my knowledge that includes eggs. And the one that is provided by my local vegetarian restaurant actually uses a milk derivative.
If you know a truly vegan thousand island dressing available in Taiwan zap me the name.
As I said, I had a bad experience with an allergy attack which really tripped up my immune system.
As for normal everyday foods. Please I know where to find a ton of stuff. Even more than most people. I would eat everything allowable.
Now I need some special help. I also don’t live in the city, so please don’t tell me to browse. If you find something, I will trust you and take that hour car ride into Kaohsiung or Pingtung city. Be my eyes and ears. Thanks.

Mustard was my go to when I ate sandwiches. Bit of a aceto balsamico and olive oil is magic anywhere.

The Waitrose Mayonnaise in Jasons is like Hellman’s on steroids

My post was for real mayo made with eggs and oil. iherb maybe? https://tw.iherb.com/pr/Spectrum-Naturals-Light-Canola-Mayo-16-fl-oz-473-ml/53740

1 Like

Told you the Korean one at City Super is really good? Japanese also have the good stuff.

They sell aioli too.

Remember though, The_Seeker is looking for vegan mayonnaise. That’s going to be a lot tougher. I’ve never noticed anything like that here, although I haven’t looked either. If you want to buy vegan mayonnaise, I think you’re going to have to go with iHerb (and if I lived away from the cities and wanted many non-Taiwanese groceries, I’d be spending a fortune with iHerb!).

These recipes look pretty easy, but I’m not sure how long they’ll last, or how much they’ll separate in the fridge. I have zero experience with vegan mayonnaise, but for “real” mayonnaise, while homemade tastes far better, I usually use jarred simply because I don’t want to make homemade for one tbsp on a sandwich every week or two. These recipes have no eggs, so I assume they’re not going to kill you after a week in the fridge - they just may need re-blending.

Thank you lostinasia for carefully looking at my request. I quickly tried on recipe before and it was like a sauce and did not taste at all good. These options look promising. I guess I have to invest some time and give it a try.
If anyone’s make something or bought an off the shelf product, please share.

Have you looked around the organic shops?

I am sorry to say that I have seen that vegan concoction, pretty sure the weird religious vegan store near my house has it. Will take picture and confirm.

Oh, but it exists, and it can be found in Taiwan…

1 Like