Helicopter crash in Wulai

It’s military equipment, they’re supposed to be able to operate in a broad range of environment. But from what I read American equipment only works well in the environment it’s designed in.

Maybe Taiwan should buy Hinds instead of Black Hawks… Russian equipment is designed to work in all environments. But if Taiwan does that the US will get pissed off. Many Taiwanese believe that our military purchase from the US is essentially paying protection money.

Or Taiwan needs to design and build something that works well for this environment.

1 Like

I think that’s the way to go. Taiwan developed tanks that are meant for cities In Taiwan if I’m not wrong.

Like Taiwan’s T65/T91 series rifle. It’s an improvement over Eugene Stoner’s design. It doesn’t use a direct impingement gas system that basically blows crap all over the receiver so requires a huge amount of oil/grease for the rifle to function correctly. The problem with all that grease in the receiver is the grease just encourages dust to get inside and stick, wearing out parts prematurely. I imagine they had a lot of rifle malfunctions in the desert.

Taiwanese rifle uses a gas piston system similar to the AK rifles, but still preserving the precision that AR15/M16 type rifles are known for but with the reliability of AK’s. Not to mention it’s vastly easier to strip and clean compared to the AR15.

To get the handguard off of a AR15/M16 you either need a very strong man, or special tool to pull back on this aluminum ring (it took me forever to do this without that tool). Then you need a roll pin punch to remove the gas system and replace it.

Taiwan T91 rifle, the gas system is right under the front sight, push it in, twist 45 degree and the entire assembly pulls out for easy cleaning. No tools necessary. If you need to remove the handguard for whatever reason there’s a flathead screw holding it in. Use a bayonet or whatever and it comes off. I don’t know who designed the T65/T91 rifles but he deserve a Nobel Prize. And the Americans should adopt the system. For a chabuduo country it’s very ingenious design. Oh and for those who can’t put it back together, they can only fit in the right way, there’s no possible way to reassemble the gas system wrong. It’s perfect for Taiwanese fighting if it ever came to that and you don’t have access to an armory.

You know the only reason Taiwan doesn’t develop more military equipment is because America doesn’t let us. They want us dependent on them for protection. They are not our friends.

1 Like

Do you know where I can find some detailed diagrams and images of the T65/91 rifles?

I don’t know…

But google the Wolf A1 upper. Lots of youtube videos. It’s basically the upper for a T91 rifle sold to civilians in the US.

1 Like

I think this belongs in its own thread, but do you have evidence the US doesn’t allow Taiwan to develop its own weapons?

1 Like

They are our friends and the only real ones we got.
What do you think is stopping China taking over Taiwan ?

hey guys how reputable are the reports that General Shen was conscious when the rescue crew got to him?

“Shen was initially found conscious by a search team from the New Taipei City fire department and sent to hospital, spokesman Chen Hao-feng told CNN”

It’s a long and messy way down the mountain through the brush, he might have died on his way to the hospital. Or do you think they’re just trying to explain away the initial reports that he had survived.

They came down the mountain like this: could this have killed the Gen?

Be prepared for various disinformation campaigns around this story.

Guy

2 Likes

Head trauma could result in death hours after the initial injury

1 Like

We have written in our Constitution we cannot buy agricultural equipment from anyone but US, so it could be worse.

But between US and China, pick not the lesser of two evils, but the one that has some accountability and supervision mechanisms in place.

Remember I mentioned the seating chart? A military expert was asked about that and he said that at those speeds, that kind of crash, any seat would be deadly.

Moreover, the rescue crews are trained for this kind of terrain. I have a picture of them up to their waist in mud. Any person can be fully immobilized before transport under any conditions.

Again, there will be lots of mud tarnishing this incident. Responsible media warn that any statement can be used for political reasons. Right now, better leave the floor to the technical guys. And wait.

Initial reports were that all had been found alive and well. Communication was confusing and even the Army spokesman has come forward and accepted that the information given before was not accurate.

1 Like

I wonder if the copter not being in ideal condition statement was also a miscommunication. It’d be pretty stupid to come right out and admit “yeah, we knew the bird was dodgy”. I’m sure they’ll be pouring over the maintenance logs right now and there’ll be some nervous technicians.

Taiwan had an atomic weapons program. It was in response to the fact that China has nuclear bombs but the US told Taiwan they can’t develop nukes because of politics.

If Taiwan has nukes China wouldn’t even consider invading.

The US sees Taiwan as a pawn in their grand game, they could care less if Taiwan were to be destroyed. It may hurt their interest deeply but in the end they have little reason to care about Taiwan. The US has about as much supervision and accountability as the big corporation lobbyists allow…

1 Like

I really wish Taiwan could go nuclear.

South Korea doesn’t have nukes, but it has the capability to get one.

Maybe when the GMD comes back to power, we can turn the reactors back on.

1 Like

The problem is obviously a maintenance issue. So it’s either

a) parts quality or
b) the performance quality of the maintenance activity by personnel or
c) the performance of or lack of scheduled maintenance

USA told Taiwan years ago stop the nuclear weapons stuff and well USA will help with defense. But that could change with any Administration.

Taiwan tries to do their own secret weapon system development but you can’t hide much from the prying eyes of the USA.

1 Like

The helicopter was delivered new in 2018 and had less than 400 hours of flight time.

2 Likes