Heliophobia and Taiwan

I’ve seen it too many times already.
Why sit next to the window and pull the shades down? :wall:

Ouch! :hushed:

… not that I necessarily disagree… I’m only miffed that Taichung got top-billing over us. :thinking:

In my defense, it’s hot in Taiwan and sun exposure makes it feel even hotter. So I equip my UV-blocking parasol.

I also have a genetic predisposition toward age spots. And if I’m not careful, I do get sunburned. So I wear sunscreen every day that I go out. But that’s just the healthy and smart thing to do, anyway.

Lastly, I hate having tan lines. It just annoys me, looking like a patchwork. So I like to maintain as few tan lines as possible, and keep them consistent.

When I do hit the beach and get a tan, I brown very nicely!

This is what drives me crazy when flying with Taiwanese. Window shades must be pulled down at the slightest hint of sunlight in the sky.

Pull shades down, pull blanket up under chin, fall back asleep. grrr. :wall:

it gets no.2 status based on distance only.

Well, that’s a relief!

1 Like

If you have a conversation with somebody about this, ask them the last time they’ve been outside exposed to the sun for more than a few minutes (or for any duration whatsoever). I’ve literally had people tell me it’s been over a month from driving to work, leaving the office when it’s dark and staying inside during noon.

Well I have freckles, on my face, on my back. Taiwanese absolutely freak out when they see them.

If you are light skinned, you need more time in the sun to produce vitamin D.

Freckles are cute. When I say age spots I mean those medium to large irregular splotches that show up on obasans, usually across the cheekbones.

I don’t mind this fate too much, but would still like to put it off as long as I can.

The saddest consequence of this phobia are all the children and adults condemned to wearing glasses/contacts or LASIK surgery which has its own long term effects.
I had my son tell me that his classmate mother was insisting that all nearsightedness in Taiwan is genetic but studies show this is not true:

myopia research done in Sydney, Australia showed that only 3% of Chinese-heritage children living in Sydney - who spent two hours a day outdoors - were short-sighted by the age of six, compared to nearly 30% of six-year-olds in Singapore.

1 Like

Like this?

This definitely sucks for the kids, who just don’t get enough time to play outside because they’re always cooped up inside studying and so on.

But I was primarily raised in the states and played outside often, and I’m still blind as a bat…bad luck, I guess.

I’ve actually never seen them on the body but they can look a bit like that on the face.

We called them liver spots in Canada.