Hello from Hsinchu

Hello.

I’ve been in Hsinchu for nearly two weeks. I am currently staying with the people at New Grace Church on Dongda Rd. However, I’m the only caucasian here and having next to no knowledge of the Chinese language, I find myself rather lost, even though a few people of the church do speak English.

I’ve been wandering around the downtown the last couple of nights to get myself more acclimated and familiarized with the city. I can figure out how to get here and there so that’s not been a problem. However, what I’d really like to find is a place where I can maybe hang out with other native English speakers.

Do any of you good people have any suggestions for me?

Thank you.

Go to Starbuck in Windance. Other foreigners will be having coffee there.

Almost 100% guarantee of whitie being there. They probably won’t talk to you though.

Other alternative is to go and get a nice massage where all the barber pole things are going around. The more barber poles and the faster their insides turn the better it will be.

Hope it all goes well.

Pig and Whisle pub is mentioned somewhere else as being an interesting place to visit at night.

[quote=“Ironman”]Go to Starbuck in Windance. Other foreigners will be having coffee there.

Almost 100% guarantee of whitie being there. They probably won’t talk to you though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve noticed that. Of all the foreigners I’ve seen the month I’ve been in Taiwan, maybe two of them have even acknowledged my presence. What’s up with that?

Here we go again… :s

Oops… did I just open a can of worms? I don’t want to step on any toes. Is there another discussion thread you can point me too?

Thank you.

Here we go again… :s[/quote]

Or…

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … edge#51787](How do you spot foreigners? - #26 by ImaniOU

there we went.

Just a quickie on that point. I must have been to that Starbucks dozens of times and never talked to expats. I’ve only talked to a couple of girls once because they were looking around for seats outside and I pointed at my table. They were politely waiting then I said you can sit with us until we go.

We had a small chat. But, otherwise, how and why would you want to meet and talk to whitie on the street and out of the blue?Acknowledgement is another story and related in the threads if and when you find them.

Forumosa is probably a better way to go to find people you can meet up with when you establish area’s of interest. (Maybe)

[quote=“Ironman”]But, otherwise, how and why would you want to meet and talk to whitie on the street and out of the blue?Acknowledgement is another story and related in the threads if and when you find them.
[/quote]

No, that’s not what I’m saying. My first post was worded quite poorly. What I meant to say is that when I make eye contact with someone on the street (be they white, black, red, orange, whatever), I usually give them a smile or at least a nod. I’ve made eye contact with a lot of the foreigners I’ve seen and done that exact thing only to get no response. If it were me, I’d certainly return the nod. I guess it’s just something I find rather curious. That’s all.

BTW, thanks for the link. It’s appreciated.

[quote=“PotatoPeeler”]No, that’s not what I’m saying. My first post was worded quite poorly. What I meant to say is that when I make eye contact with someone on the street (be they white, black, red, orange, whatever), I usually give them a smile or at least a nod. I’ve made eye contact with a lot of the foreigners I’ve seen and done that exact thing only to get no response. If it were me, I’d certainly return the nod. I guess it’s just something I find rather curious. That’s all.

BTW, thanks for the link. It’s appreciated.[/quote]
Here’s the thread about that [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/foreigner-syndrome/5220/1 (it’s goes on for pages and pages and there’s even 2 parts, don’t waste your time with those, you can get straight to the good stuff by clicking [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/foreigners-who-dont-acknowledge-other-foreigners-on-the-street/533/266 :wink:).

I long ago decided to smile/nod at everyone and it works out OK, though I do suspect some people think I’m a nutter (and they are, for the most part, thinking correct :smiley:).

Yes, I checked the thread and this one stood out.

I do the nod.

Do you have any idea where that thread is where the guy is in the 7 11 and is rude to somebody who said hello. I just want to recall the poster for future reference and perhaps not in a good way.

Thanks for the link!

I don’t think the OP said anything about wanting to meet “whitie”. When people first arrive in Taiwan and are unable to speak Mandarin or Taiwanese I think it is kind of natural for them to look for “native English speakers” to hang with. Even Taiwanese who can speak English can sometimes be hard to communicate with until you get used to the accent, or most of the people you meet might not be able to speak English very well.
I would rather encourage somebody to get out there and meet people. It’s way better than what often happens: a previously social person sitting at home every night, munching in front of the TV, and starting to become depressed, and who ends up hating Taiwan.

Often the native English speakers also know some Taiwanese who can speak English, so it can be a chance to meet the locals too. And before you know it you’ll be happily chattering away in Mandarin, introducing the next person to all your cool friends.
:hubba:

Edit: How would you have described yourself as visitor to Taiwan when you first got here? I only started using the term “foreigner” after I got here.

Yeah, that seemed like the logical thought process to me as well. Thanks for helping clear all that up.

You’re right twonavels. I just worded the other part too strongly. I was thinking more along the lines of meeting people via this forum as being of benefit. At least you could know if you are going to be able to sit and talk IP or not.

I talk to people in the street at times but not likely in heavily populated expat area’s where I’d do Miltownkids nod thing but not as well as he does.

twonavels you’re one smart cookie :slight_smile:

We wouldn’t have thought about this like you did … :wanker:

Yes, of course I know YOU know. And you know I know. And you know I know you know, you know. But people who throw around words like “whitey” just because some innocent tit happened to identify him/herself as Caucasion most probably don’t know. Know what I’m saying, brother?
But don’t worry, from now on I’ll leave the serious discussions to you guys and stick to the topics I know I know, like anal sex and shibari.

Whoa… I’m an innocent tit now? Is that good or bad? :wink:

I throw whitey around from Steve Martin in The Jerk when the black family told him “don’t trust whitey” and he had a special purpose in his pants.

I might have to stop saying that or keep saying it but don’t post it.

At least potato peeler is an innocent tit. :slight_smile: I think it’s a good thing.

PotatoPeeler,

Come around on a Thursday night to 4Q2 Pub in downtown Hsinchu – close to the Sol Hotel, just around the corner from The Flying Pig, B 52, Mr 7 and the likes.

Give it a shot and see if you like it.

Cheers - Stanley (getting commission every time I put in a good word for 4Q2) :smiling_imp:

PS: We watched the rugby at 4Q2 on Saturday since the sat.TV at the Pig&Whistle is down. The South Africans took the Aussies to the cleaners.

[quote=“stan”]PotatoPeeler,

Come around on a Thursday night to 4Q2 Pub in downtown Hsinchu (Xinzhu) – close to the Sol Hotel, just around the corner from The Flying Pig, B 52, Mr 7 and the likes.

Give it a shot and see if you like it.

Cheers - Stanley (getting commission every time I put in a good word for 4Q2) :smiling_imp:

PS: We watched the rugby at 4Q2 on Saturday since the sat.TV at the Pig&Whistle is down. The South Africans took the Aussies to the cleaners.[/quote]

Thank you, stan. I will certainly try to do that.

PotatoPeeler,

I just remembered that 4Q2 has a special deal on Thursday nights. It’s called the TADS (Thursday After Work Drinking Society) and the deal is (basically) this:

• Joining fee (per person): NT$ 500
  • Benefits: Any meal on the menu at half price; second drink for free.

The owner, Nigel, is a very good chef and he normally dishes up something special for the TADS. A couple of Thursdays ago it was fish and chips at half price, i.e. NT$110. In addition he threw in a free pint of Abbot Ale.

Work it out mate, you’ll get your NT$500 joining fee back on (almost) the first night.

Just thought I’d let you know. I’m hoping to be there on Thursday night – if I can get away from work before 10h00. :frowning:

Two recommendations for 4Q2 in 2 days! Can someone PLEASE tell Nigel of my good deeds?

Cheers - Stanley (eagerly awaiting his well-deserved commission from 4Q2).