Hello from Hsinchu

Stan,

Thanks again for that information. That sounds like something I may be interested in. However, I don’t start working until the end of August and my first paycheck won’t be until October, so I’m having to scrape by for the first couple of months. I will definately keep that in mind though. Thank’s again for your help!

I see on the Internet that there’s an expat society in Hsinchu, called the Hsinchu International Community Association.

hicatw.org.tw/

The annual dues are NT$1,200, according to their website.

hicatw.org.tw/members.asp

I looked around on the 'net, trying to find some kind of government or church group in Hsinchu that might involve expats. I’ve had no luck so far, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there in Hsinchu, as well as other opportunities to meet expats.

Hope this helps.
Take care, and I hope you don’t get down in the dumps.
xp+10K

[quote=“xp+10K”]I see on the Internet that there’s an expat society in Hsinchu (Xinzhu), called the Hsinchu (Xinzhu) International Community Association.

hicatw.org.tw/

[/quote]

are you a member? seems kinda high for just hanging out w/ friends. i understand the 10% off w/ sponsors, but you would have to save more than $1200 with the sponsors in order to make back the money…

do you guys have something like this in taipei?

[quote=“xp+10K”]I see on the Internet that there’s an expat society in Hsinchu (Xinzhu), called the Hsinchu (Xinzhu) International Community Association.

hicatw.org.tw/

hicatw.org.tw/members.asp

I looked around on the 'net, trying to find some kind of government or church group in Hsinchu (Xinzhu) that might involve expats. I’ve had no luck so far, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there in Hsinchu (Xinzhu), as well as other opportunities to meet expats.

Hope this helps.
Take care, and I hope you don’t get down in the dumps.
xp+10K[/quote]

Dude, you are awesome! That website is exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve already emailed the people at Victory English Fellowship about some of the small groups they offer. Thanks so much for posting that link!

I figure I’ll head down to the Pig & Whistle tonight to see what that’s all about. When does anyone figure the best time to show up is? If you’re there and you see a guy with a beard wearing an Atlanta Braves baseball cap, feel free to say hello!

You’re welcome!

Sorry for being tardy with my reply; I get off work at 9PM. In any case, when you get time, you might want to browse through the threads below concerning the Pig & Whistle. I’ve never been to the Pig & Whistle, and I don’t really know anything about it. Also, I’m not saying don’t go, but you might want to get the takes and counter-takes that are on these threads:

[Brawl @ the Xinzhu Pig & Whistle - 7 Foreigners injured
[Brawl @ the Xinzhu Pig & Whistle - Part 2

No, I live in Panchiao. I just found their website by doing a Google search.

[quote=“PotatoPeeler”][quote=“Ironman”]But, otherwise, how and why would you want to meet and talk to whitie on the street and out of the blue?Acknowledgement is another story and related in the threads if and when you find them.
[/quote]

No, that’s not what I’m saying. My first post was worded quite poorly. What I meant to say is that when I make eye contact with someone on the street (be they white, black, red, orange, whatever), I usually give them a smile or at least a nod. I’ve made eye contact with a lot of the foreigners I’ve seen and done that exact thing only to get no response. If it were me, I’d certainly return the nod. I guess it’s just something I find rather curious. That’s all.

BTW, thanks for the link. It’s appreciated.[/quote]

To be honest I’m always a bit annoyed when other foreigners nod at me. Whats the idea behind it? It spoils my experience to be on myself here in the jungle like a Rambo, having to fight myself out my own way :slight_smile:

But I’m new here too and I guess after a while I will miss other white people.