Hello Kitty magnets at 7-11

[quote=“tetsuo500”]Some facts about Hello Kitty:

Name: Kitty White

![/quote]

really?her name was Kitty White? WHITE? can you cite a reference for that. amazing shit! Kitty White. I give up. the world is over if that is her real name. and yes, you are crazy to be collecting those dumb 711 mags.

http://hellokittyworld.tripod.com/about.htm

It’s all there in pink and white.

EDIT: I’m a liar, here’s another site, which looks more official:

http://www.sanrio.co.jp/english/characters/w_chara/02.html

EDIT AGAIN: :stares blankly: Oh my god. I just took the Hello Kitty Super-Know It All Quiz and I got 100%. What is happening to me? :looks at hands and shakes uncontrollably:

http://www.sanrio.co.jp/english/characters/kt_quiz/ktquiz00.html

EDIT YET AGAIN: This official page lists Kitty’s Twin sister as “Mimmy”, but the rest of her family have the surname White. What kind of conspiracy is this.

http://www.sanrio.co.jp/english/characters/kitty/kt_e_03a.html

From all the data I have gathered, I will conclude that Hello Kitty, is really none other than… :important information about to be revealed music:

KITTY WHITE!

I just started researching Hello Kitty tonight, but I think I may have already discovered too much.

I got my first Hello Kitty magnet today. I don’t think I’m going to collect them. I will keep this one nevertheless (year 1986).

My friend and I were running around town in Tulsa just acting stupid. Every once in a while one us would say, “Hello Kitty” and then we’d both start cracking up. Oh, the good times.

They are random. I have five, none of them the same.

The clerk last night handed me a couple of little plastic-wrapped cards with Hello Kitty pics on them. I handed them back and told him how much I loathe Hello Kitty, and asked why on earth he would think a 40-year-old foreign man would want crap like that. That cracked him up.

With all due respect, it’s just so – kitsch!!!

I saw something interesting on this at http://www.journalism.sfsu.edu/www/pubs/prism/jun96/07.html:

[quote]Alan Dundes, UC Berkeley anthropology professor and author of 26 books on pop culture and urban folklore: “There is a deep-seated reason for collecting things normally thrown away, or without clear value,” he says. “those with, as Freud called it, anal-erotic characters, have a particular propensity for collecting.” Such personality types, Dundes explains, are driven to give value to items simply because they lack value. Developed at a young age, this behavior is the result of placing value on feces because, Dundes says, “although we throw it away for its inherent lack of value, since our parents make a big fuss about it, we attribute some sort of unquantifiable value to it.”
Here, then, is the heart of kitsch – it’s not worth shit and that makes it worthwhile. It has no artistic, monetary or cultural value outside of what collectors have projected upon it, but as the early 20th century Italian scholar Gill Dorfles wrote with such prescience, “it has long ago taken over the world.” [/quote]

So I ask, somewhat revolted but mildly bemused, do you collectors of Hello Kitty kitsch see it that way?

Here’s my favorite bit:

(emph. added).

OK, so which are you, tongue-in-cheek collectors, or people who actually have bad taste? :laughing: :loco: :laughing: :laughing:

(Just teasing, dearest… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Dragonbones, you can have some fun with them. You just drop them on the table outside the shop (if there is one) or else just throw them in the trash can. Its pretty funny watching grown “adults” digging around in the trash and squabbling over them.

What a freakin scam. When they were running this same promo in HK 6 months they were giving one out with every drink bought, no matter what the value was.

I got one, but I threw it away with my 7-11 bag. I thought it was another incomprehensible scratch-off. Oh well. :idunno:

good thinking. Scratch-n-sniff Hello Kitty!

good thinking. Scratch-n-sniff Hello Kitty![/quote]
That’s sick, truant. :s

That’s sick, truant. :s[/quote]

It’s not sick in the least! :fume: It brought back sweet, innocent memories of my childhood, when we ate PopRocks, and played marbles, and collected scratch 'n sniff cards of the playmate of the month. Thank you Truant :notworthy: , for that trip down memory lane.

has everyone on this thread lost their marbles?!!! :laughing:
i moved this weekend, went to get some water and when i got home and looked in the bag to find two hello litty magnets for my brand spanking new fridge, i had to wonder what i had done to deserve such karma!

only in taiwan…

In this photo, you can see Hello Kitty’s bones! KITTY BONES!

http://michaelpaulus.com/gallery/character-Skeletons/hello_kitty_3_single_panel

Were you shocked?

I still can’t believe I’m doing this but…

I am missing

(I know that means I 1. already have 28 of these stupid things and 2. run a high risk of not being able to show my face at any forumosa happy hour in the near future :wink: )

I have duplicates of almost everything (again, don’t ask! :loco: )

If you want the duplicates, PM me.

Edit: I also promise not to reveal your identity to others :wink:

If you get those ones I need and want to give them to me, I’ll love you forever! :smiley:

Hello Kitty has no mouth, but she must scream.. That’s why her head is so big.

[quote=“yangdemei”]I still can’t believe I’m doing this but…

I am missing

1997 [/quote]

All I’m asking for it is a free taxi ride from Hsinchu to Taipei and back and US$100. I think it’s a fair price. Deal?

OOOOOhhhhh. I may have gone crazy, but Andre, there’s no way in heck I’d do that! :laughing:

You mean they’re not lollies (candy)? :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

I better stop eating them!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Googling “hello kitty magnets”?

That’s far sicker than collecting them!! :loco: (or even eating them for that matter!!) :loco: :loco: :loco:

xp+10K you need serious help. :help: :help: :help: Fortunately forumosa is the right place.

Dude, xp+10k may have googled, but tetsuo has been doing research! :laughing:

Andre, you suck! :laughing: And I mean that in the nicest way possible. as I now only need, yep you guessed it, 1995! :noway: Was that a curse you passed to me? Am I now becoming superstitious as well?!? :loco: