Hello...Korean teacher looking to Taiwan

Ok, I have been working for 2 years. Next Year I top out at a salary of about $2100 (after tax). I have a free studio apartment, health insurance provided. I get 2 weeks winter and 2 weeks summer vacation as well as traditional holidays which can be generous. At the end of the year If I stay I get a nice bonus of about $1800 usd and 1 week extra paid vacation. When I depart korea I get all my pension contributions back. And my airfare in and out is covered.

However…Taiwan is much closer to the Philippines and cheaper to get to (i have family there) and seems more warm and friendly than where I am.

I have my BA, my US Substitute License and my TESOL and 2 years public school experience.

I am wondering if anyone can give me the lowdown on Taiwan teaching, especially thge pay, vacation, bonuses etc. I have always preferred public schools because of the security and other reasons and I am very NERVOUS about giving up my cush job here in Korea. I am 30 years old. I dont party or drink or go clubbing. I eat cheap food, stay home and watch internet movies.

If anyone can help with my questions I appreciate it. Most recruiters dnt provide much info.

[quote=“travis1983”]

I am wondering if anyone can give me the lowdown on Taiwan teaching, especially thge pay, vacation, bonuses etc.[/quote]

In the cram schools you will get around 600NTD per contact hour. You won’t get paid for vacations, public holidays, sick leave, or typhoon days. You probably won’t get your airfare paid or a bonus. These reasons are why the recruiters have been so quiet :laughing:

Look up Guy in Taiwan’s posts for pay and benefits in the public schools.

There are reasons to be in Taiwan and there are reasons to be in Korea. The big problem in Taiwan is not the pay but rather the difficulty of getting 24+ hrs/wk at one school. You would still make/save more money in Korea due to the perks especially the free apt but I’m at an age where I like being able to pick my apartment and furnish it with my stuff instead of 10 yr old crap that who knows what has had happen to it. The vacation/holiday time also is not matched in Taiwan but many don’t factor in that there are 13 four week pay periods when doing the math instead of 12 monthly pay periods in Korea.

I don’t follow you. Either you get a fixed monthly salary, or you get paid per hour. Are there gigs that pay a fixed salary every four weeks? I’ve never heard of one of those.

I don’t follow you. Either you get a fixed monthly salary, or you get paid per hour. Are there gigs that pay a fixed salary every four weeks? I’ve never heard of one of those.[/quote]
I think he means if you are earning 600 an hour and work 20 hours a week, then you earn 12000 a week. That’s not 48000 a month, but rather 12000 X 13 / 12.

I don’t follow you. Either you get a fixed monthly salary, or you get paid per hour. Are there gigs that pay a fixed salary every four weeks? I’ve never heard of one of those.[/quote]
I think he means if you are earning 600 an hour and work 20 hours a week, then you earn 12000 a week. That’s not 48000 a month, but rather 12000 X 13 / 12.[/quote]

Exactly. typically people convert pay/hr to a monthly rate and forget about the extra couple of days. The way it works out for me is that I get 2 wks unpaid vacation + 1 wk for CNY and 6 unpaid holidays. So I only get the equivalent of 12 four week paychecks but then the paid vacation part of it is equal.