Helmet Cam Set Up

Who has set up a camera on there helmet and/or bike? :astonished:
How did you do it? Did you use a regular digital camera? or what?
If you have something simple, could you take a couple of pics of your set up, how you attach it to your helmet or bike so it won’t fall off or shake too much.

[quote=“TaipeiSean”]Who has set up a camera on there helmet and/or bike? :astonished:
How did you do it? Did you use a regular digital camera? or what?
If you have something simple, could you take a couple of pics of your set up, how you attach it to your helmet or bike so it won’t fall off or shake too much.[/quote]

Believe it or not, but a lot of guys just put their camera inside their helmet/visor. Here is a link
youtube.com/watch?v=xY8h8KvkfWM

There are some helmet cams out there, but you might just want to try that first. I have tried it on the TIS track, but they day I tried it I forgot my Arai helmet, and had to use my other shitty helmet, so the camera was bothering me because it was shaking around. I will around with this camera/helmet setup in the future.
[/url]

I’d bet quite a sum that Mordeth might be the best man to ask. :slight_smile:

I have a camera stand that goes on your handle bars.
If you want, I can lend it to you for a week.

That would be cool, thank iix23. I made a set up for my helmet, I have a regular digital camera with an extendable lens. I have it mounted on top of my helmet with plenty of velcro. It seems pretty strong, I can pic the helmet up by the camera without it coming off and did some head banging dancing with the helmet on and it still didn’t come loose. Just looks totally dickie though…

Will try it out on my morning run taking my boy to school and if it seems OK, I will give it a go at the track…

[quote=“iix23”]I have a camera stand that goes on your handle bars.
If you want, I can lend it to you for a week.[/quote]

I am pretty sure your setup won’t work well for an NSR iix23, but worth a try. The handle bar setup on NSR’s are positioned a lot different then a motorcycle that has more upright handlebars. Also the NSR has the front wind visor that will most likely get in the way.

[quote=“TaipeiSean”]That would be cool, thank iix23. I made a set up for my helmet; I have a regular digital camera with an extendable lens. I have it mounted on top of my helmet with plenty of velcro. It seems pretty strong, I can pic the helmet up by the camera without it coming off and did some head banging dancing with the helmet on and it still didn’t come loose. Just looks totally dickie though…

Will try it out on my morning run taking my boy to school and if it seems OK, I will give it a go at the track…[/quote]

I don’t know if I would trust that setup, you’re probably going to break your camera. If that worked you would see more guys doing it. You can’t calculate the forces by just doing a few jumping jacks and head banging inside your house. You have to take g-forces and wind into an account. So I wouldn’t recommend that, but I guess worth a try too. Good luck

Made my cardboard box and velcro helmet cam. I didn’t get a chance to test it at the track on Saturday, I swear that session was short. I was about to pull into the pit lane to put it on when the guy waved the chequered flag…

But here is a short video of me using it on my morning run to take my little fella to school… Nothing too eventful thankfully, but I was hoping to get a few of those classic Taiwanese traffic situations on video. I will give it another go this week…

youtube.com/watch?v=Zy-xTM8mXoM :loco:

Came across this which MIGHT be of some interest, though its really intended for boating. They (sort of) claim its waterproof, so you could probably use it in heavy rain.

www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/p … 77&pid=709

Some (maritime) user comments (from proa_file@yahoogroups.com)

"It’s fully waterproof and holds an hour of high quality video, so
that’s nice. It’s intended as a helmet cam, though, so there’s no
viewfinder and no zoom, you just sort of sight over the top of the
thing and push the button. I’ve found that when worn as a helmet cam
I make very jerky movies, I move my head too quickly, so I tend to
have it in a pocket and just hold it to film. You can also attach it
to the masthead or to a kite, I think Todd did that with spectacular
results, so I’m going to experiment with that.

It’s easy to upload to youtube or google video. I didn’t edit any of
those, I just take about a 1 to 2 minute video and put the raw footage
on youtube. The high-resolution files are quite large, but there are
some free email programs that can handle big files if I want to mail
one to someone. Lycos is one, they have no limit on file sizes."

I would like to be able to mount a TINY, low-profile digital camera on my helmet, sized somewhere between a postage stamp and one’s entire thumb, with the ability to take stills (if not available, then video), and would like to be able to recharge and download pics without removing the camera from the helmet. I would need to be able to start and stop the video, or take the pics, by pushing a single button with my LEFT hand, on the camera or on an attached cord. My budget is under NT$10,000. Am I dreaming, or is this something I could do with locally available equipment? :smiley:

I made something similar to that for $8000. The camera is about an inch by an inch. For recording, I use a miniDVR. Just set it and forget it. It’ll record for 2 hours straight nonstop. The camera’s battery can last for up to 8 hours. The DVR’s battery can do 2 hours.
I just mounted it on the side of my helmet on the inside. I made a small bracket then stuck a neodymium magnet to it. The camera sticks in place very well. Removal is easy, but not necessary.
I put the miniDVR and the camera’s battery (it’s small) into a fanny pack. It keeps the cords and everything else neat and tidy.

Interesting. But then I have about half an hour of video to plough through in order to clip the one still or the five seconds I want. I need to be able to turn it on and off, with each session saved as a separate file.

Possible? :ponder:

That all depends on your recording device.
A miniDVR is especially for recording video off of other devices via AV in.
Plowing through an hour long video for just one picture does sound daunting, but it’s actually rather easy.
Mine is capable of taking still images from AV in. But, to hold it in your hand and finding the right button for that would be a pain in the butt.
I guess you’d want something with a remote (on a cord). There are some out there like that, but you said you don’t want to spend over $10,000…

Maybe something like this Minox Digital SpyCam:
gizmodo.com/5065762/minox-spy-ca … o-please-q
payworxx.de/minox/product_in … anguage=en

I could mount it on the side of the helmet with the shutter button facing left.

I’m thinking of getting this AEE Mini DV MD90 video camera to mount inside my helmet (like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohSHX1xZns&feature=related)

I’ve done a bit of research and this seems like a good option.

Since this thread is from 2008 and technology moves fast, can anyone recommend a different set up or better camera?

[quote=“Modest Mouse”]I’m thinking of getting this AEE Mini DV MD90 video camera to mount inside my helmet (like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohSHX1xZns&feature=related)

I’ve done a bit of research and this seems like a good option.

Since this thread is from 2008 and technology moves fast, can anyone recommend a different set up or better camera?[/quote]

A gopro is the way to go because they are pretty accident proof. There are many adapters and even a helmet adapter. I just got one with the chest harness which straps around your chest. It is awesome and very easy to use. They are about 10,000nt new. You can order them online. Honest, that is probably the best camera on the market.

its amazing that no one mentioned the Go-Pro… that thing is perfect for any sport… it has helmet mount, car mount, under-water cover and so on… and the video quality is super good…
you can even attach them to the front of your bike…
check them out, that would be my choice if i needed one…

The GoPro looks like an awesome camera, but I’m looking for something smaller.

I found a good lead on a new full HD 1080p version of the small “keychain” variety of HD cameras coming out in January or February: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566331